Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Export old people abroad + outsource care.

• 07-03-2012 8:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭

Since old people cost a lot with pensions + hospitals could we not buy an island somewhere then when they reach retirement age if they don't have their own money ship them over there. We probably couldn't afford an island but maybe Cuba would do?

Old people like sun holidays. Most end up in Lanzarote etc. Also wouldn't you feel more inclined to visit your old relatives if there was a sun holiday in the package.

Do some charter flights, build some accomodation, hire some locals for cheap. We support a local economy and it costs a lot less than it would in Ireland. I'd say the combined payout for old age pension would go a lot further in cuba than here in Ireland.

Is this not a ridiculously good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm not shipping my parents anywhere. We could probably achieve the same result by shipping a load of boards members off. It could be turned into a reality program and the rights flogged around the world. It could be run like the Hunger Games. Make money and cull the boardsies. How bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

A Modest Proposal

Brilliant satire OP, or so I hope. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Xcellor wrote: »
    Well, not really. It is actually a ridiculous idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

That is either:
    Piss poor satire, or
    Tro***ng at its worst!
    In before what I hope will be an inevitable lock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Old Tom wrote: »
    Well, not really. It is actually a ridiculous idea.

You are just jealous because you didn't come up with it.

Seriously. Think about it... Paradise for Pensioners. I'm sure Ryanair would step up to the plate and organize the flights over there.

We can send over some unemployed builders to throw up some homes. (another problem solved).

Are you seriously telling me an old person would rather sit in a damp smelly nursing home than being in tropical cuba. Sipping a coctail.

• Advertisement

Are you seriously telling me an old person would rather sit in a damp smelly nursing home than being in tropical cuba. Sipping a coctail.

I would bet on it that they would end up sitting in a squalid, damp and seriously smelly lean to praying that someone would come along and kill that snake/spider/creature before it gets to their chairbound selves or preferably kill them to get them out of your tropical paradise.

Seriously. Think about it... Paradise for Pensioners. I'm sure Ryanair would step up to the plate and organize the flights over there.

We can send over some unemployed builders to throw up some homes. (another problem solved).

Yeah? If they're Irish. :confused:

I would bet on it that they would end up sitting in a squalid, damp and seriously smelly lean to praying that someone would come along and kill that snake/spider/creature before it gets to their chairbound selves or preferably kill them to get them out of your tropical paradise.

We just ship over some of HIQA staff to monitor the situation. Make sure that proper health and safety protocols are in place.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Ah come on now! I was taking you seriously until you trotted out this nonsense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

The best exotic marigold hotel maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Isnt this the premise of that new judi dench movie?

dan1895 wrote: »
    Isnt this the premise of that new judi dench movie?

Judi Dench always reminds me of vagina dentata. It's partially her name but also her cold and rather curt demeanour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

i was actually going to suggest the opposite!
    Ireland has so many empty houses that maybe you could encourage pensioners from abroad to move to Ireland.

Most europeans rent so can move easily without having to flog an existing place.
    Living in a spacious new house in Ireland rather than pokey flat in Germany or Holland would be enticing.
    and all the fresh air is something that you can only dream of in the big city.

Not to mention the benefits that pensioners get in Ireland.
    MASSIVE tax free allowance, free medical, ESB, telephone, transport, tv licence, fuel and all the other goodies that pensioners abroad must pay for in their home countries.

It'd be the perfect solution to bring some life to all the ghost estates!

It'd be the perfect solution to bring some life to all the ghost estates!

Until they die... But then the rest of the undeveloped land can be turned into a graveyard. A real ghost estate in the truest sense.

I like your idea it has promise too...

I just like the idea of shipping our oldies off to warm sunny country and combine the obligatory meet the oldies with warm sun beach + beer holiday...

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Fúcking line them up and shoot them all, then take the cost of the bullets out of their estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Since old people cost a lot with pensions + hospitals could we not buy an isla..
    for old age pension would go a lot further in cuba than here in Ireland.

Why can't we just recycle them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The schoolkids could also be sent away, and even more money would be saved because you wouldn't need schools or teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I'm not shipping my parents anywhere. We could probably achieve the same result by shipping a load of boards members off. It could be turned into a reality program and the rights flogged around the world. It could be run like the Hunger Games. Make money and cull the boardsies. How bad!

Oh I like that. I vote to cull boardsies who have no conscience or sense of human decency, ethics or morality.

Can I draw up that list, pleeease? I can think of a few off the top of my head straight away I'd like to ship out of the country. Somewhere they'd feel right at home in their political and social views.

Somewhere nice and hot like... Somalia or Chad maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Greentopia wrote: »

Great places.

Survival of the fittest means the very few elderly folk there are wise and learned. Rather than Ireland, infested with oul bints down Tesco with a fistful of coupons and a handbag full of their son in laws remote controls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

FoxT wrote: »

Works in Football Manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We could be fair about it and only ship off those who voted Fianna Fail and helped create the mess? Wouldn't restrict it to pensioners though: anyone who ever voted for them should have their passport revoked for corruption / being too stupid to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Sleepy wrote: »
    We could be fair about it and only ship off those who voted Fianna Fail and helped create the mess? Wouldn't restrict it to pensioners though: anyone who ever voted for them should have their passport revoked for corruption / being too stupid to live.

Oh they'd go on my list too. Corrupt and stupid people unfortunately breed and tend to pass on their corrupt and stupid genes so that'd be killing two birds.

And in fairness, my Mum's a pensioner and she never voted FF in her life and is not corrupt or stupid in any way. I'd like to keep her here with me please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Since old people cost a lot with pensions + hospitals could we not buy an island somewhere then when they reach retirement age if they don't have their own money ship them over there. We probably couldn't afford an island but maybe Cuba would do?

Old people like sun holidays. Most end up in Lanzarote etc. Also wouldn't you feel more inclined to visit your old relatives if there was a sun holiday in the package.

Do some charter flights, build some accomodation, hire some locals for cheap. We support a local economy and it costs a lot less than it would in Ireland. I'd say the combined payout for old age pension would go a lot further in cuba than here in Ireland.

cant we just put them in to labour camps to knit aran sweaters all day to sell to the american tourists?

We just ship over some of HIQA staff to monitor the situation. Make sure that proper health and safety protocols are in place.

Problem solved.

You are definitely deluded. Considering they can barely keep an eye on the nursing homes in this country what chance would the old folk have abroad.
    Greentopia wrote: »
    Oh I like that. I vote to cull boardsies who have no conscience or sense of human decency, ethics or morality.

Can I draw up that list, pleeease? I can think of a few off the top of my head straight away I'd like to ship out of the country. Somewhere they'd feel right at home in their political and social views.

We can meet up for a coffee and draw up the list between us. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

FoxT wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I wouldn't bother shipping the old people abroad.

Luckily the Irish government is forward thinking and is already on top of this problem. Why wait until they are old to ship abroad. Ship them while they are young and you won't have the problem of them growing old and consuming precious local resources at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thannever

Have you seen 'The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel for the Elderly and the
    Beautiful' ? As a 'soon to be elderly ' person I think it would be wonderful and I wish that Ryanair would fly to Jaipur!

• Advertisement
Advertisement