Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfish babies all over my tank HELP

Options
  • 07-03-2012 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I recently upgraded my goldfish tank with 3 4.5 inch fish from a 35 litre tank to a 60 litre tank and within a fortnight eggs were laid and so on. Probably has something to do with it being spring but anyways theres about 50 little baby fish swimming around and being that I only got this tank recently and do not intend to upgrade to another one I have nowhere to put the fish.

I know I could put an ad up for Goldfish Free to good home, but its unlikely I'll shift 50 of them, so does anyone know if petshops would buy them off me, or accept a goldfish donation or something? I'd even settle for a small voucher off them, just want the fishies to go to a good home.

The male was a black moor and the female a mottled fantail.

Any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 player101

A good petshop should accept them if you explain what happened, they make profit for nothing. If your in dublin contact Kinseally pet store they are really good and have a big section for cold water fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

post up some fotos on here pal.... hope you shift them ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Where are you based . I will take some off you .

As many as you want

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭czrewor

Hi thanks for the replies, I was just saying to irishjay that I will be giving them away when they are basically independant so about 8 weeks old. They are free of course to people who can provide adequate aquarium space and not goldfish bowls or anything.

I did try to take a photo but they are so small the camera couldnt even pick them up in the image but as soon as they get to a decent size I will be sure to put photos up, however I'll try to post YT video of the parents, the female is one mottled colour with the long and the male black fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hate to say it, but i think the goldfish you already have will need a much bigger tank, long term. :(

i'm sure sleepy (or someone else who knows goldies) will be along shortly to confirm. :)

• Advertisement

I dont care if its not big enough for them, they need to like it because its all they are getting,lol. I do regular water changes, strong pump and filter, airstones in there too. I regularly buy things they need, water condition, algae control, water clarifier so when the fish are looked after to such a high level, this size tank is plenty big for them.

I've spent more money on the fish that I'd like to really, I have seen fantails get really big, but even at the biggest they are not huge. I would have only got 2 but there were 3 left in the tank, and it was 3 for 15 and I didnt want to leave one in the tank on its own.

I appreciate your feedback though, everyone has an opinion on this issue thinking people need bigger tanks but if you look after the water quality and so on, the fish can lead a really happy life. Although goldfish are quite messy, wouldnt mind getting tropicals eventually but we will see.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I'd put the babies in a breeder box, or put a divider in the tank - goldfish are not good parents and like to eat smaller swimming things.

Hi I prob didt explain right with the video, thats the big fish but recorded that while ago, the babies are now in that big tank and the parents are in another tank I have, just waiting til they get big enough so the big ones cannot eat them, may even think about giving away the black one, as I dont want the change of having more eggs being fertilized. May even get rid of all the big ones and just keep about 2 of the babies and give the rest of the babies away too. The stress of it all haha

Advertisement