Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coaching for success, the SBG way!

• 07-03-2012 1:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Most everyone is now familiar with the Aliveness training concept; the key point that we make time and again is that it isn’t so much what you train, rather, it is how you train. As obvious as this point is, it still gets missed by the majority of the martial arts population.
    The same point can be made regards coaching. I think a fairly good argument can be made for SBG Ireland having the No.1 BJJ, Grappling and Mixed Martial Arts teams in the country. It isn’t that SBG Ireland has just a few star athletes, while everyone else achieves average level skill. Rather, everyone on the mat grows better, the entire team, from great MMA fighters to your average hobbyist grappler demonstrates that extra level of skill. The entire mat is tough!

This isn’t just the case with SBG Ireland. You will see this replicated in the States, the UK, Canada, Scandinavia, in other words at all the SBG’s.

Why the success?

When it comes to coaching, just like training, it isn’t ‘what’ we teach; it is ‘how’ we teach that makes the crucial difference. This is down to one thing 'Training Methods'.

If you are running a BJJ or MMA club where do you go to learn 'how' to coach?

Sure you can get 'techniques' from dvds, YouTube, other black belts, and then show them to your class. Join the crowd because that is what everyone is doing, welcome to the world of ‘average. However, if it was just 'techniques' that mattered then no one team would really rise above the rest. The reality is it's down to 'how' you structure your program, how to tailor classes for Beginners and Pro MMA Fighters alike; how to drill anything Alive and as effectively.

For the first time ever I'll be opening the doors to coaches of any team out there who is interested in learning from the innovator of these methods himself, Matt Thornton.
    This is a unique opportunity for you to help bring your team, whether you are in charge of 10 people rolling in a garage or the head of busy MMA school, to the next level. This will be an intense one day workshop covering all the things that make a gym like SBG Ireland head and shoulders above the competition.

Matt will be covering:

1-What the most misunderstood concept related to Aliveness, and how it applies to everything.
    (this is the key that unlocks everything else)

2-What makes a great Coach, and what is the true value to what we do.
    (understanding the journey so you can guide others)

3-Old school versus new school training models.
    (this will take your gym to another level. This is SBG 2012)

4-Creating a progressive ladder. (building people up, rather than weeding them out, and allowing your gym to triple in membership. Create world champions, while at the same time helping your average person achieve a success they never Dreamed possible. Build a community!)

5- The five types of drills, and their practical application. (regardless of the sport, there are only 5 ways to drill. Most coaches use one, or at best two methods. Learn how to utilize all five to take your athletes to a new level of functional performance)

Space is limited and will go fast. This is the cutting edge material that the SBG’s around the world are implementing, and it has never been taught outside of SBG until now. There will be no filming allowed, and registration is limited. This is material that we guarantee you won’t find anywhere else!

Call NOW to reserve your space: Ann 0876768911 or sbgmembership@gmail.com

Date - Sunday, May 20th 12-3pm
    Time - 12-3pm
    Cost - 150euros - first 20 spaces, once those 20 spaces are gone its done.

just like when i suggested the new Amateur ruleset I genuinely believe this course will have a significant impact on the progress of Irish MMA. i've gotten the 'qualifications' and 'certs' to coach wrestling and weightlifting etc and they didnt prepare me for coaching BJJ/Grappling/MMA - it was Matt's coaching principles that allowed me to get my BJJ blackbelt relatively quickly considering i'd no 'hands on' coach and get my competition team winning on the national and international circuit.

i hope to see you on the day! :) please any questions just PM or email/call thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SeanieMurphy

ye cant say much more than that wha SBG dublin great club wha everyone should do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

ye cant say much more than that wha SBG dublin great club wha everyone should do this

wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

263886_1327178511203.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

Most everyone is now familiar with the Aliveness training concept; the key point that we make time and again is that it isn’t so much what you train, rather, it is how you train. As obvious as this point is, it still gets missed by the majority of the martial arts population.

Aliveness! what all Martial arts clubs practise

Nothing new to fight training.
    The same point can be made regards coaching. I think a fairly good argument can be made for SBG Ireland having the No.1 BJJ, Grappling and Mixed Martial Arts teams in the country. It isn’t that SBG Ireland has just a few star athletes, while everyone else achieves average level skill. Rather, everyone on the mat grows better, the entire team, from great MMA fighters to your average hobbyist grappler demonstrates that extra level of skill. The entire mat is tough!

From the outside it does look like sbg has the top team alright but that goes without saying as seen as they're going far longer than all their competitors

I'm sure Kokoro would be the best if they where going double the lenght of time as there closest opposition

I cant think of 1 top fighter from Dublin SBG who had no previous training before SBG
    This isn’t just the case with SBG Ireland. You will see this replicated in the States, the UK, Canada, Scandinavia, in other words at all the SBG’s.

sbg are not considered the top team in the uk and anyone i ever asked in the states when over there never heard of them at all.

Lot's can be learned from your vast experience by less experienced trainee's

This is due to time and not secret training methods and if the trainee's had the time on you then you would be going to their seminar

When ufr where running they where just as good if not better than sbg and it was no coincidence that they where training similar lenght of time.

sbgi deserve respect as pioneers of mma bjj and the head start they have on everyone else here must be noted as most clubs are not even going long enough to have pro fighters never mind top pro fighters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

cheers for the bump :)

down to the last 5 spots guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

This is due to time and not secret training methods and if the trainee's had the time on you then you would be going to their seminar

When ufr where running they where just as good if not better than sbg and it was no coincidence that they where training similar lenght of time.

sbgi deserve respect as pioneers of mma bjj and the head start they have on everyone else here must be noted as most clubs are not even going long enough to have pro fighters never mind top pro fighters
    I think thats a fair point, MMA is still young in Ireland and theres alot of talent in the amature divisions. SBG are still the gym to beat though! In a couple of years things will probably be more even/competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

I have to say MMAIRELANDFAN your post is very offensive and I think you should apologise to Shane Thomas and his team at Kokoro. You're essentially saying that Kokoro (and indeed all the younger clubs) will never be able to compete with SBG and the more established gyms.

No matter how hard they train, how well they structure their programs, how much effort the coaches put into honing their craft, it's pointless because they'll always be in second place timewise?

An incredible lack of respect for the work of fighters and coaches in both the newer and long established gyms, in my opinion.

Clive wrote: »
    I have to say MMAIRELANDFAN your post is very offensive and I think you should apologise to Shane Thomas and his team at Kokoro. You're essentially saying that Kokoro (and indeed all the younger clubs) will never be able to compete with SBG and the more established gyms.

No matter how hard they train, how well they structure their programs, how much effort the coaches put into honing their craft, it's pointless because they'll always be in second place timewise?

An incredible lack of respect for the work of fighters and coaches in both the newer and long established gyms, in my opinion.

Your misunderstanding what i am saying totally

In 5 years time they will have many fighters training long enough to be pro fighters and will be on a more level timeline

It goes without saying that if you are training 11 years and another is training 6 years that the 6 year club would be 5 years behind experience wise

the 11 year club should have many 6 year + members in their club and the 6 year club would be lucky to have any that stuck the whole 6 years

In SBG's case all their top fighters are trained elsewhere in other arts too

my point is the claim is that its the sbg way that is better when in fact they just happen to be the most experienced.

in 10 years their will be several clubs with the fighters all training the same lenght of time and it will be a level playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fighthard

[/QUOTE]
    In SBG's case all their top fighters are trained elsewhere in other arts too.[/Quote]

Who just as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

_oveless wrote: »
    263886_1327178511203.jpg

Cowzer, aged 13 1/2 and three quarters!.

• Advertisement

[/Quote]

Who just as a matter of interest?[/QUOTE]

Name 1 that has not.

off top of my head

JMS was 4-5 years training in canada plus kickboxing

Mcgregor came from Kickboxing and Boxing

Aish the Bash done Karate

Fields was a Kickboxer

Roddy done Thai Boxing

Price done Kickboxing and MMA

Either way that's not the point

All i am saying is that the most experienced should be the top especially when it is vastly more experienced than the next experienced club which is probably Team Rhino.

Most other clubs are barely running long enough to train a Pro MMA fighter at all but this will change in a few years when they all have lads training 5-10 years and are on a more level playing field.

the 11 year club should have many 6 year + members in their club and the 6 year club would be lucky to have any that stuck the whole 6 years

Surely you can see the contradiction here?

At any rate, I think you still being incredibly rude to suggest that if younger clubs just keep on trucking, they'll be competitive in a few years. If someone has been training for five years at a six year old gym or five years at an eleven year old gym, who will be better? You're suggesting that it'll be the person in the older gym. I'm suggesting that, all things being equal, it'll be the person with better coaching. Somebody who trains in a place where they just might be interested in coaching seminars etc.

Clive wrote: »
    Surely you can see the contradiction here?

At any rate, I think you still being incredibly rude to suggest that if younger clubs just keep on trucking, they'll be competitive in a few years. If someone has been training for five years at a six year old gym or five years at an eleven year old gym, who will be better? You're suggesting that it'll be the person in the older gym. I'm suggesting that, all things being equal, it'll be the person with better coaching. Somebody who trains in a place where they just might be interested in coaching seminars etc.

Again you're misqouting me

I did not say 2 clubs with equal training times

What i said was Kokoro basically would be lucky to have anyone training 6 years at all

an 11 year club has several and when Kokoro are 11 year olds they will also have several

Clubs simply don't have experienced fighters yet bar 1-2 clubs

This is purely time related

I also said that sbg have good coaching because their experience and am simply saying its the experience rather than the "sbg way"

Kokoro are simply just an example here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

MMAIRELANDFAN,

Success attracts people who are interested in succeeding. Saying what you're saying is a bit like saying everyone who plays for Man Utd. played somewhere before, ergo Man Utd. must have crap coaching methods.

No doubt SBG have time on their side, that's one advantage, they also previously had a successful team which means that people who are highly motivated to succeed in MMA want to go and train there too, which, in turn perpetuates the circle.

It's all good. You might not like it, but it's up to you to create something rather than bitch about it. You can envy them but they're the biggest team in Ireland so envy comes with the territory. Whining about other people's successes doesn't do anything for the team that you support. You'd be better off conserving your energy for bigging up your own team.

Best of luck with the seminar,

Barry

Ok

so a couple of sbg lads get on and get all defensive when i am not knocking sbg

In fact im accepting they're the top team and have top fighters and coaches

i'm just of the opinion that the main reason is their going longer than others rather that the 3 magic letters (brand s b g)

if people don't see a corellation with the top team been the longest running team then thats fine

Boxing clinic for example have a far more successful C class team and they're going less time

Their 2 year lads beat sbg's 2 year lads i say and when going 5 years they will beat sbg's 5 year lads too

Pro not because it takes time to get to pro and they simply are not running that long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I'm not an SBG lad. I run a competing gym.

Well I for one am neither defensive nor an "sbg lad".

You keep contradicting yourself - now you're saying that someone from a newer club is perfectly competitive with someone from a more established club, if their training time is the same. Is what you're trying to say simply that SBG has more in the way of experienced A class fighters?

Why is that a function of time since you're claiming they've all had prior training anyway? Why doesn't Chum Sut have as many? Why doesn't EFR? Why aren't you jumping on other teams events to snipe at them about branding? Why don't you go on Cagewarriors threads to say that they're only considered a good promotion because they've been around the longest?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - you can come into a thread about a coaching seminar and denigrate it if you want, but don't try to claim people are defensive or holding to the party line when they challenge your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Clive its clear as day what he mean's now stop badgering him please.

MMAIRELANDFAN I think you've made your point too.

Back to the thread now, personally I think SBG and their coaches are the mutts nuts - champions breed champions.

Very best of luck John and all the other clubs and coaches this forum is here to support you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Stillweak

Sbg are clearly ahead of everybody in our small pond.
    If I wanted to be a high level mma fighter without emigrating, I would go there.
    How many UFC fighters are doing it the sbg way? I know of a few doing the Jackson way and the aka way.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Well Greg Jackson opened his gym 20 years ago so by using MMAIRELANDFAN'S logic SBG should be cranking out some UFC fighters over the next 5-10 years.. Maybe he does have a point :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement