Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne Hotel in June around CBD

Options
  • 07-03-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hiya Lads and Ladies
    Visiting Melbourne for 2 nights in June, gonna take in an AFL game on the Saturday (Richmond vs Freemantle) at the MCG.
    I'm bringing my Dad with me for the weekend. Would anyone recommend a good hotel in or around the CBD? Nothing too fancy (or too grubby either). My dad doesnt care about luxury really but at the same time I don't want to bring him to a dive either.
    I was looking at IBIS, any good??
    The Baden Powell hotel/pub looked perfect, nice rooms, good price, fairly central location but when I rang up they told me they only do double beds and not twins, I love my dad an all but dont fancy sharing a bed with him.:eek:
    I'm sick of reading through all the comments on tripadvisor at this stage so wanted to see if anyone here would recommend a hotel.
    We are staying friday and saturday night and budget is $350.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Is there no better game on that weekend than Richmond/Freo? That's a shocker.

EDIT: Melbourne/Collingwood is on the day after, that'd be a much better spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Ignore Tripadvisor, at least half the reviews are fake and made by hotels praising their own place or slating the competition, that site has zero credibility anymore.

Try booking.com. You can only review if you have actually booked the hotel so reviews are genuine. After a quick search for your weekend there seems to be lots on your budget, just look at review score and number of reviews and you should find a good option. I used the site a lot last year for everything from $20 motels to 5 star hotels all over the US and it got me some gems at great prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cailineile

HI the best website to use is :

combinedhotels.com

I stayed in one in the cbd in novemeber...
    twas one of the causeway group, they have 3 within spitting distance of each other and I found the one I stayed in to be quite good..

Nice restaurant too, and not too expensive....

try ringing them direct. there is little causeway....google them and find the reviews.

Cailin

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Xavi6 wrote: »
    There is one on the friday night and another later on sat evening but all he wants to do really is see the MCG, doesnt care too much who is playing. All he talks about since he booked his Oz flights is "I'm going to the MCG!!"

EDIT:Just checked and its Carlton V Geelong on the Friday at the Etihad and Essendon V Sydney at the Etihad on the Saturday evening. He wouldn't care if neighbours were playing home and away, as long as he gets to the MCG, he is a big cricket fan.

EDIT: Melbourne/Collingwood is on the day after, that'd be a much better spectacle.

Thanks but we fly back to Sydney at 2pm on the Sunday.

• Advertisement

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Ignore Tripadvisor, at least half the reviews are fake and made by hotels praising their own place or slating the competition, that site has zero credibility anymore.

Try booking.com. You can only review if you have actually booked the hotel so reviews are genuine. After a quick search for your weekend there seems to be lots on your budget, just look at review score and number of reviews and you should find a good option. I used the site a lot last year for everything from $20 motels to 5 star hotels all over the US and it got me some gems at great prices.

Thanks taking a look now. We (wife and kids) stayed in Punt Hill on Flinders Street a few years ago and that was really nice but was an apartment, might see if they have just rooms. It was very new, modern, clean, great service, location etc..

Edit: Just rang Punt Hill and they have twin rooms for $165 per night, not bad, will have a look around for more options though before I decide. Thanks for all your help. ps: Xavi, I think that game you said is on the bank holiday Monday at 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

Stayed in the Crossley hotel http://www.crossleyhotel.com.au/ on Little Bourke street for 2 nights recently and couldn't fault it at all. Great location 2 min from parliament station, $170 a night for a superior room inc wifi and continental breakfast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

In 2010 I stayed in the Travelodge Docklands which is closeby the Etihad Stadium. It was €66/night but was perfectly clean and modern, it was a cheap enough option I couldn't complain. It also has the trams nearby and you walk up a flight of stairs and get the tram into the CBD. For two of us in the room it was costing around the same as a private room in a Hostel so the choice was obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Travelodge in Southbank, short walk to the MCG and close to the city too. Looks alright and I'd doubt it's too expensive.

Stinicker wrote: »
    In 2010 I stayed in the Travelodge Docklands which is closeby the Etihad Stadium. It was €66/night but was perfectly clean and modern, it was a cheap enough option I couldn't complain. It also has the trams nearby and you walk up a flight of stairs and get the tram into the CBD. For two of us in the room it was costing around the same as a private room in a Hostel so the choice was obvious.

Was that $66 per person or per room? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

man1 wrote: »
    Was that $66 per person or per room? Thanks

It was 66 Euro (booked on eBookers) for the room booked for one person but two of us stayed in it and the staff said nothing nor charged extra. It is a very new modern decor Hotel with a minimal staff presence and I never ate there and I can't even remember if it had a restaurant. One night we ordered room service which was a pizza and burger and it came from some outside caterers also and it was good food if expensive.

It also had pay wifi and a little internet room with a few computers and two washers and two dryers for to do your own laundry also.

Stinicker wrote: »
    It was 66 Euro (booked on eBookers) for the room booked for one person but two of us stayed in it and the staff said nothing nor charged extra. It is a very new modern decor Hotel with a minimal staff presence and I never ate there and I can't even remember if it had a restaurant. One night we ordered room service which was a pizza and burger and it came from some outside caterers also and it was good food if expensive.

It also had pay wifi and a little internet room with a few computers and two washers and two dryers for to do your own laundry also.

Sounds good thanks for the recommendation, will have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Try Punthill Manhatttan

Lovely hotel, really near MCG and in the city.

Shouldn't do too much better for the prices.

irish people working the reception too

dave3004 wrote: »
    Try Punthill Manhatttan

Lovely hotel, really near MCG and in the city.

Shouldn't do too much better for the prices.

irish people working the reception too

Thanks, went for Punthill Flinders Lane after all. Got twin room for $155, they quoted me $170 first but I said I stayed there before and blah blah blah, could they do me a deal. Probably could have got cheaper in the travellodge at doclands but I know Punthill and its as central as you can get. I would recommend it for anyone staying in Melbourne. Will still let you know how we get on. Thanks everyone!!:)

Hi Xavi
    Looking a getting my tickets for the MCG now and had a look at the ticketed website. It is very confusing, its giving options of MCC reserve, members, adults, premium reserve, general reserve etc.
    What one should I choose, obviously I am not a member so I was thinking general reserve but then there are lots of different options.
    What would be the average price I should pay for two adults?
    Would it be better (and cheaper) to buy them at the gate on the day? is this possible? or is there a chance that there would be no tickets left??
    On the website it says restricted view as an option, don't really want this either.
    The cheapest I can find is $90 for 2 adults is this about right?
    Arrrggghhhh!!!
    I would love it if there was a telephone number I could call, is there one?
    Thanks Mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

There should be general admission tickets for sale on the ticketed website. Get two of them and you can pick where to sit in the general admission sections. You should be able to pick up tickets for that game on the day at the ground though as it wont be sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I'm going Melbourne for 4 days myself in June, got a couple of nights in the Crown Plaza in the CBD ridiculously cheap. Thinking of going to somewhere out of town like vineyards or Mornington etc any recommendations of good place around there? Have car etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Maybe try the William Ricketts Sanctuary. Its a really beautiful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Alright I'll look that up, thanks Doc

Tickets booked!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement