Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lime

• 07-03-2012 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

a few questions, how soon can you spread fertiliser/slurry on a field that has been limed.. when can you let cattle back out on it? How much a tonne is it for the lime and for it to be spread?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 krazyfarmer

Was €23 per tonne last year including spreading from Limestone Industries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

thanks, just got some delivered and want to budget for it:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Was €23 per tonne last year including spreading from Limestone Industries.

Does anyone know of a supplier / spreader in the Roscommon / Galway east area?

Any reply would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

price was 19 per ton delivered and 7 i think to spread, spreading cost has gone up since last year,
    I think its ok to spread fertilizer afterwards but not slurry, but would be great to have a correct answer on these questions for future reference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

restive wrote: »

Just sent you a pm ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

F.D wrote: »
    price was 19 per ton delivered and 7 i think to spread, spreading cost has gone up since last year,
    I think its ok to spread fertilizer afterwards but not slurry, but would be great to have a correct answer on these questions for future reference

im not too sure about slurry. you cant spread urea on it for 6 months as it will have a reaction.you can spread can alright. for leaving cattle on it id say leave it 3 weeks for it to be washed down as otherwise its too sweat for them and they wont eat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

whelan1 wrote: »
    thanks, just got some delivered and want to budget for it:o

Some budget if you have it delivered in the yard already:D:D,

You can spread it anytime of the year, I have often spread it in fields with the cattle left in them. If spreading slurry around the same time, apply the slurry first and the lime on top, I have in the past been finishing spreading a field with slurry and the lime contractor in the field at the same time. The only danger with doing this is you may have a grumpy lime man. Spread any fert as normal after except Urea. Urea could be spread the week before the lime with no negative effects. As regards price, phone the local suppliers.

most importantly, make sure your land actually needs lime to increase the Ph as there are a number of other ways of doing this. just cos a bog standard soil test say you need x tons of lime may not be the case. You need to know the available calcium figure first and foremost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Some budget if you have it delivered in the yard already:D:D,

You can spread it anytime of the year, I have often spread it in fields with the cattle left in them. If spreading slurry around the same time, apply the slurry first and the lime on top, I have in the past been finishing spreading a field with slurry and the lime contractor in the field at the same time. The only danger with doing this is you may have a grumpy lime man. Spread any fert as normal after except Urea. Urea could be spread the week before the lime with no negative effects. As regards price, phone the local suppliers.

most importantly, make sure your land actually needs lime to increase the Ph as there are a number of other ways of doing this. just cos a bog standard soil test say you need x tons of lime may not be the case. You need to know the available calcium figure first and foremost

Hi Bob,
    Do you mean the available calcium in the lime you're ordering?

What other options are there for increasing Ph?
    Thanks.

ye i soil tested, got the results last week, did 11 samples and 3 fields need lime... one needs 6t/ha, i misread the results and thought it was per acre:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

ye i soil tested, got the results last week, did 11 samples and 3 fields need lime... one needs 6t/ha, i misread the results and thought it was per acre:eek:
    Had you it spread when you noticed the mistake?

• Advertisement

no not spread yet, 3 loads dumped in yard this morning:) too windy, one of the fields is along the motorway so have to wait for ideal conditions to spread... i have to move with the times, still stuck in acres and gallons:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Can you remember if / when those fields that need lime received it before? As a general rule, I recall an Teagasc advisor a good few years back claiming that if you cover a field, it should do for 5 - 10 years.

we last did for lime 5 years ago and none of these 3 where done..... one of the fields was not performing well despite being reseeded a few years ago, so hopefully the lime will help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Muckit wrote: »
    Just sent you a pm ;)

Thanks will check him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Don't spread on silage ground till after the second cut, it will effect silage presavation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

im not too sure about slurry. you cant spread urea on it for 6 months as it will have a reaction.you can spread can alright. for leaving cattle on it id say leave it 3 weeks for it to be washed down as otherwise its too sweat for them and they wont eat it.

is it really as long as six months ? An elevated percentage of the Urea is lost to the atmosphere due to a chemical reaction with the lime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I would give that 3 ton per Ha now and the balance in 3 to 4 years time

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

Muckit wrote: »
    Just sent you a pm ;)[/
    could you pm his name too me aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Hi Bob,
    Do you mean the available calcium in the lime you're ordering?

What other options are there for increasing Ph?
    Thanks.

No, I mean that calicum that is in the soil which is very different from Ph.

You can have a soil with a low Ph and low calcium, in this case you add lime, but you can have a low Ph and high calcium and in this case you dont add lime. The other options for raising Ph is applying Potash, Magnesium, sulphur or sodium depending on whats needed to balance the soil.

The most important thing to take from what im saying is not to associate changing Ph with only the use of calcium and to get a little bit more in-detail soil test done. An over supply of calcium is worse than an undersupply, and it costs a far sight more to correct over if in over supply. Its all about a soil balance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

restive wrote: »

Roadstone delivered to us. Will have to check the price with the aul buck.

• Advertisement

the 3 loads arrived in convoy, my dad was saying years ago, 8 lorries arrived at the same time:eek: seems they like to travel together:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

Does anyone know of a supplier / spreader in the leitrim / cavan west area??

b.mc caffrey and sons quarries delivered to us, they have branches in fermanagh and tyrone ... you cant spread urea for 2 weeks after spreading lime, asked advisor today

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

anyone got a definitive answer on how soon you can spread slurry after lime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

b.mc caffrey and sons quarries delivered to us, they have branches in fermanagh and tyrone ... you cant spread urea for 2 weeks after spreading lime, asked advisor today

the advisor isn't paying for the urea or the lime... 2 weeks is very very tight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

thanks, there are only up the road from me and i didnt know they supplied lime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

anyone got a definitive answer on how soon you can spread slurry after lime?

I've often spread lime with the side spreader by mixing it with the slurry. I have never heard of any issues about spreading lime and slurry at the one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭deise man

After spreading lime you should wait 3-6 months before spreading slurry so as to minimise loss of ammonia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Definitive answer from Teagasc;

"However avoid spreading lime with either slurry or urea. Urea should not be spread on land that received lime in the last six months. Where slurry has been spread do not apply lime for at least 2 weeks."

From;
    http://www.teagasc.ie/areaunits/meathlouthdublin/Newspaper_articles/Dundalk%20Democrat%20Feb%202010.doc

• Advertisement

when can you spread slurry after the lime ?

Advertisement