Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Japanese games "just suck"

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

megaten wrote: »
    Depends, If you dont know for sure your putting out an overseas version and factor that into the initial contract with the voice actors re-licencing can be very expensive. More-so than dubbing the game in english.

Hmm, you may well be correct. I'm not going to be pretend to know the business side of things in-depth!

Although it amazes me that smaller, niche companies are willing to go the extra mile in this regard a lot of the time whereas bigger companies rarely include them (it's one of the few black marks I'd level against Atlus, actually). Although I do recall that Kojima and co. before the MGS4 release claimed that there wasn't enough space on the PS3 disc for the Japanese voice-acting - although by the sounds of it it might have been a rather wasteful compression anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The direction you take in the game may be along a few set paths but it's a lot better than the binary deicsions most games represent you with when it comes to relationships. Can you honestly tell me the name of a game that has dealt with relationships in such a well written and intelligent manner than Catherine?

No, but that's faint praise indeed, since very few games - outside of niche genres like dating sims - use the MC's relationship(s) as the driving force of the story. But it still engages in a lot of the usual stereotyping of both sexes (let's remember that this is a multi-billion dollar global industry which still only employs about three women at design-level).
    Level Grindy is not something I'd associate at all with JRPGs. One of my favourite things about JRPGs is that they require absolutely not level grinding or fluff to get through. Even the more niche dungeon crawlers like Etrian Odyssey that make a big deal of level grinding do so in an entertaining manner. So I don't get why people bother to pretend that JRPGs actually require any sort of level grinding to beat?

I'll have to defer to you on that one! I don't really play many JRPGs, so I'm really just repeating the general Western perception of the not-successful-outside-Japan ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Keiji Inafune is back to defend his 2009 statement:
    Mega Man creator and former Capcom R&D boss Keiji Inafune has unleashed another bitter condemnation of the state of the Japanese games industry.

Inafune told an audience at GDC in San Francisco today that Japanese publishers are guilty of complacency and laziness, and lack any fighting spirit.

Referring back to his 2009 statement that the Japanese games industry was "finished", Inafune said "Everyone in Japan gave me the stink eye for making such a bold statement. How dare you say our industry is dead! However, some of those folks are now starting to run out of steam.

"They realise that perhaps my prediction was true. Maybe Inafune was right."

Can't copy and paste full article (blame Sherlock), so read the rest here:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-08-mega-man-creator-laments-tragic-state-of-japanese-games-industry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lasersquad

I find it funny cause i feel the western market is somewhat in a worse state than japan in terms on fresh new ideas and things so obscure you cant help but love.

Wow, a voice of reason? Quick, run for cover brah ;)
    megaten wrote: »
    Depends, If you dont know for sure your putting out an overseas version and factor that into the initial contract with the voice actors re-licencing can be very expensive. More-so than dubbing the game in english.

True, but with a little though they could either negotiate contracts for both markets at the beginning. If this fails and title gets released with voiceovers made by friends/fam/milkman (barring the latter it`s often the case) let me have the subtitles and option to turn off the voice. Few lines of code takes care of that. Or we`ll make an undub. Just release the bloody thing already.
    Kinski wrote: »
    I'll have to defer to you on that one! I don't really play many JRPGs, so I'm really just repeating the general Western perception of the not-successful-outside-Japan ones.

Well, at least you have the guts to admit that :)
    That oft-repeaten list of alleged faults never ceases to amuse me - it`s akin to complaining that there`s too much shooting in COD or too many puzzles in Layton. Ok, random encounters can be annoying, but only when in overdrive plus there`s often in-game ways of avoiding these like spells/potions or simply fleeing. The myth of grinding is already dealt with above, this is greatly exaggerated, plus: the battles are integral part of the genre since forever - there`s a variety of combat styles, from tactical ones that can drag on (ahem ;) to super quick affairs (DQ/Etrian) where you just hold the A button.

Collecting things? As in: the thing that every - even non-rpg -western game asks you to do these days. Also, look up "hoarding in Fallout3/Skyrim" ;)

The other thing is, not all jRpgs fit the cliche. In fact there`s gazillion of styles and they changed too - more and more avoids random battles, there`s save-anywhere/sensible checkpoints revival and so on.

As for Keiji-I I find it rather sad, as stated in my 1st post. He reminds me a bit of these confused J-teens who are literally blackening/hiphoping up in search of an identity. Nevermind that he of course contradicts himself - if the Japanese industry is dead why didn`t he stay in his beloved West? Instead opened 2 studios, makes some uber Japanese games and jumps on smartphones bandwagon. Fancy that.

(EDIT: here`s a description of his latest (social, of course) game:" Players are put in the role of mad scientist Dr. Momo who has to combine a number of cute animals to create the world's cutest creature." Gee, that`s soooo un-Japanese, groundbreaking and modern. Way to go mate.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just read some sales numbers for last week, which shows that Japanese developers can sell a lot when they make something people want (meaning me).

#1 out sold the rest of the top 20 combined.

[PS3] 01. One Piece Pirate Musou (Namco Bandai): 655,774 New Entry
    [3DS] 02. Mario & Sonic at London Olympics (Nintendo): 43,155 New Entry
    [3DS] 03. Harvest Moon Hajimari no Daichi (Marvelous AQL): 27,378 (108,509)
    [PSP] 04. Great Battle Full Blast (Namco Bandai): 24,289 New Entry
    [3DS] 05. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (Square Enix): 21,540 (99,532)
    [3DS] 06. Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo): 18,945 (1,546,212)
    [PS3] 07. Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Generation (Namco Bandai): 17,917 (83,675)
    [3DS] 08. Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo): 16,142 (1,386,318)
    [3DS] 09. Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom): 15,836 (1,283,511)
    [PSP] 10. Tales of the Heroes Twin Brave (Namco Bandai): 12,358 (97,668)
    [3DS] 11. Doraemon Nobita and the Island of Miracles (Furyu): 12,228 New Entry
    [PS3] 12. Asura's Wrath (Capcom): 7,795 (38,103)
    [3DS] 13. Resident Evil Revelations (Capcom): 7,444 (251,560)
    [PS3] 14. Binary Domain (Sega): 6,775 (95,364)
    [PS3] 15. UFC Undisputed 3 (Konami): 6,198 New Entry
    [WII] 16. Just Dance Wii (Nintendo): 6,043 (555,149)
    [PSP] 17. Samurai Warriors 3Z (Tecmo Koei): 5,224 (30,527)
    [PSP] 18. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd PSP the Best (Capcom): 5,156 (207,523)
    [PSP] 19. I Don't Have Many Friends Portable (Namco Bandai): 5,142 (62,111)
    [PS3] 20. Gran Turismo 5 Spec II (Sony): 4,922 (53,096)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Varik wrote: »
    [PSP] 19. I Don't Have Many Friends Portable (Namco Bandai): 5,142 (62,111)

Best name for a game ever :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kiith wrote: »
    Best name for a game ever :pac:

Better be a dating sim :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

lasersquad wrote: »
    That oft-repeaten list of alleged faults never ceases to amuse me - it`s akin to complaining that there`s too much shooting in COD or too many puzzles in Layton.

I see what you're saying, but what about a franchise like Monster Hunter? It can apparently make or break a system in Japan, but few in the West want to play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I see what you're saying, but what about a franchise like Monster Hunter? It can apparently make or break a system in Japan, but few in the West want to play it.

The problem with Monster Hunter is that it will never work in the West. It's all about Ad-Hoc play which doesn't make sense outside japan were people will play games with other randomers on the way into work. It's really just a simplified MMO and for westerners, there's better online MMO's. It's got nothing to do with how good or bad the game is, it's a cultural/social thing. I don't like Monster Hunter myself but people that do like it and can play Ad Hoc with lots of people will tell you it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Varik wrote: »
    [PS3] 01. One Piece Pirate Musou (Namco Bandai): 655,774 New Entry
    When it's One Piece (just about the only extremely mainstream [in Japan] anime) and a Dynasty Warriors game together at last.
    Height of game design.
    And yes, CoD is no better.
    Nevermind that he of course contradicts himself - if the Japanese industry is dead why didn`t he stay in his beloved West? Instead opened 2 studios, makes some uber Japanese games and jumps on smartphones bandwagon. Fancy that.
    Because, perhaps he has some love for his national country? Wants to continue to develop there? Lead by example? No? Anything that might contravene your perfect glorious Nippon invisible to you?

On absolutely great news : P2 - Eternal Punishment : oh yes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lasersquad

but few in the West want to play it.

The Wii version sold ~1 million outside Japan, PSP one a bit over. As Link used to say, "not too shabby". But sure, some of them will never sell in the West on massive scale (or even in Japan) - but do they really need to? There seems to be this obsession with mega sales these days, even a million is often considered meager. Quite mad I`d say - wish there were more level-headed pubs with model like Atlus, who keeps churning out so called "obscure" titles, some of which don`t even go over 100k in sales and yet fans love`em, devs don`t fold and Atlus marches on (Contact/Izuna anyone?)
    Because, perhaps he has some love for his national country? Wants to continue to develop there? Lead by example? No? Anything that might contravene your perfect glorious Nippon invisible to you?

If you really wanted answers to these questions, you`d actually read my 1st post and the one you quote. Just stick to the facts: what the man says and does.

But you don`t - throughout this thread you`re trying to paint me into a fuddy-duddy otaku stereotype with total disregard for what I actually try to say (Nevermind it has little to do with reality - I was brought up on micros/PCs, die hard wRPG gamer, only got "converted" slowly in the last decade, with help of the natives and the fact that TB RPGs died in the West).

That`s fine though - I`d rather role play your version than be a stereotypical forum warrior, who has a smarmy quote/jpg stored in a special folder and whose edgy/brave opinions are in fact the same ol` claptrap repeated ad nauseum on other edgy/brave "forums" like NeoGaf or /v/. Dark Souls leads backlash against handholding? Sure, if we ignore its Kings Fields roots - and countless other J-productions. Navi`s presence is so bad that we should concentrate only on that and ignore one of the greatest series ever? Why, but it makes a cool meme! Cherry pickin` other`s posts for a phrase out of context? Check. Stroll on, son, but this kawaii-o-furry-lover will ignore you from now on (just like you ignored my attempts at being reasonable - hence the rant)

Nothing wrong with discussing flaws in, ahem "glorious Nippon" or more like games it produces. But this thread started with some just-got-famous upstart indie dev spouting bullcrap about how West is light years ahead - and other misconceptions/old stereotypes rose their lil`heads. Can`t agree with that, I`m afraid (putting it mildly).

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

If you really wanted answers to these questions, you`d actually read my 1st post and the one you quote. Just stick to the facts: what the man says and does.

But you don`t - throughout this thread you`re trying to paint me into a fuddy-duddy otaku stereotype with total disregard for what I actually try to say (Nevermind it has little to do with reality - I was brought up on micros/PCs, die hard wRPG gamer, only got "converted" slowly in the last decade, with help of the natives and the fact that TB RPGs died in the West).

That`s fine though - I`d rather role play your version than be a stereotypical forum warrior, who has a smarmy quote/jpg stored in a special folder and whose edgy/brave opinions are in fact the same ol` claptrap repeated ad nauseum on other edgy/brave "forums" like NeoGaf or /v/. Dark Souls leads backlash against handholding? Sure, if we ignore its Kings Fields roots - and countless other J-productions. Navi`s presence is so bad that we should concentrate only on that and ignore one of the greatest series ever? Why, but it makes a cool meme! Cherry pickin` other`s posts for a phrase out of context? Check. Stroll on, son, but this kawaii-o-furry-lover will ignore you from now on (just like you ignored my attempts at being reasonable - hence the rant)

Nothing wrong with discussing flaws in, ahem "glorious Nippon" or more like games it produces. But this thread started with some just-got-famous upstart indie dev spouting bullcrap about how West is light years ahead - and other misconceptions/old stereotypes rose their lil`heads. Can`t agree with that, I`m afraid (putting it mildly).
    a) I've read every post in this thread. Multiple times.
    b) I'm talking about what the man says and does. The man has made and contributed to some of the greatest games this industry has ever known. The man does show his passion and his desire for the JP industry to improve.
    c) The use of the romanji Nippon was your choice, and honestly, I felt it made your argument seem even sillier.
    d) We're not ignoring DS's roots, we're focusing on its success, and its context, in an era of modern hand holding (everywhere, in West & East). Kings Field is almost 20 years old. Industry was very different then.
    e) We focus on the handholdy "Navi" because it shows a case of 2 steps forward (SS's combat and controls) and 1 step back of being beholden to this archaic system, a highlight that certain things in the franchise refuse to change and grow/innovate. The series has lost a lot of the survival that Zelda 2 had.
    f) Apologies if it seemed like I was cherry picking in a negative manner, that wasn't my intent. :)
    I generally quote the specific bit of text I feel I'm responding to the most/the piece I feel is most relevant.

Advertisement