Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KoFXIII, SCV and MK9 at MLG

Options
  • 07-03-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

Ok so this is not new news, however the prize pools and such have been confirmed, as fghting games have a starting date for MLG, it will run on the same weekend as Norcal Regionals.

The prize pot for each tournament is $16,700, with winnings for top 8.

SOURCE

The buy in for an MLG Pro tourney is 50 bucks, but since this is a "pro" tournament it would usually expected that the sponsor would pay for your entry. For regular joes, its a bit pricey and I can see a few peeps being put off by that. There's discounts if you enter multiple fighting games and it works out at 90 bucks for all 3 fighting games.

I can the pluses and negatives to this, and I think its great to see these games get big cash prizes and nice exposure. I'm all for the development and support of fighting games, and would the potential for consistent prize money be enough to bring peeps like Daigo and Mago to try out KoF at a serious level?

That would be very interesting...

1st Place = $6,000
    2nd Place = $3,600
    3rd Place = $2,400
    4th Place = $1,600
    5th/6th Place = $1,000
    7th/8th Place = $550

What's peeps thoughts on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Monkeyto wrote: »
    it will run on the same weekend as Norcal Regionals.

What's peeps thoughts on this?

As long as MLG don't work with the FGC instead of against it, well, I know where my support will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

It's a shame it's the same weekend as Norcal regionals, since Sundance said he was going to try to specifically NOT do stuff like that.

On the other hand, if it's anything like the Irish scene, he may have been genuinely hard-pressed to find a weekend where SOMETHING wasn't going on.

Since only Norcal regionals will have Street Fighter, Marvel, and Gems; it'll be interesting at least to see how this splits American players.

It's a shame it's the same weekend as Norcal regionals, since Sundance said he was going to try to specifically NOT do stuff like that.

On the other hand, if it's anything like the Irish scene, he may have been genuinely hard-pressed to find a weekend where SOMETHING wasn't going on.

Since only Norcal regionals will have Street Fighter, Marvel, and Gems; it'll be interesting at least to see how this splits American players.

I don't know if you've read Ultradavid's (long but very interesting) articles on e-sports and the FGC but it seems MLG have a long way to go to earn trust with them.

http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/12/guest-editorial-momentum-matters-a-historical-perspective-on-the-fgc-and-esports-communities-2/

The basic jist: MLG only sniff around when there's money to be had, when there's communities to be built or nurtured, they're no where to be seen, and in fact they can be detrimental to fighting games given the different cultures between FG players and that which is common in the more successful MLG games.

Note this telling paragraph:
    But if we work together in the right way, I don’t think that MLG having Street Fighter will mean that Evo will go away or even that time-honored majors like Final Round and Seasons Beatings will go away. MLG will have to consider who we are and what we want, and if they don’t, then I can see us suffering. I don’t want MLG to schedule an event for the same weekend as Evo or any other major. I don’t want them to act like they can control our scene, because that’ll just be destructive to both sides. Work with us and understand our terms, and I think we can make this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Daigo/Mago probably already know how far behind their KoF level is.

Why don't you hop down to the arcade and ask them? ;)

Also: MLG charges you to spectate games.
    No thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I don't know if you've read Ultradavid's (long but very interesting) articles on e-sports and the FGC but it seems MLG have a long way to go to earn trust with them.

http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/12/guest-editorial-momentum-matters-a-historical-perspective-on-the-fgc-and-esports-communities-2/

The basic jist: MLG only sniff around when there's money to be had, when there's communities to be built or nurtured, they're no where to be seen, and in fact they can be detrimental to fighting games given the different cultures between FG players and that which is common in the more successful MLG games.

I did read that, and I also watched Sundance's (CEO of MLG) fairly interesting interview on Cross Counter Live; which implied incredibly bad blood between MLG and Capcom specifically.

He seemed like a fairly straight-forward guy, and did say in that interview that he'd love to work with grassroots communities and help support them. He also openly invited any of them to e-mail him personally.

He seemed honest in the interview, but this schedule overlap might suggest otherwise...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

50 dollar entry, Spectating charges, PPV, Players behind a velvet rope...

MLG is the antithesis of the fgc and everything I value about it.

I'd be so pissed off if I'd paid 20 dollars for this stream. There's literally 1 fight ever hour there's so many ads. An ad after every fight... really.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I'd be so pissed off if I'd paid 20 dollars for this stream. There's literally 1 fight ever hour there's so many ads. An ad after every fight... really.

Do they often ask for €20? Jaysus. I mean the KoF level was excellent, but the commentators were terrible (WHY IS HE LAUGHING? HEY! YOU! STOP HAVING FUN!), the set up was pretentious (I especially like the SONY XPERIA poll, and the stream was having more problems that I've ever seen Spooky had. Not to mention the entire lack of crowd and hype.

Just reminds me to appreciate what spooky, level-up, and even Doom/Dreddy have over this MLG lark. Really should donate to streams I watch more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Any idea what time the MK fights are on tonight, lads? Damn time zones messing with my head. I'm having a hard enough time sorting out what time it is now with the clocks changing last night :pac:

Advertisement