Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pub leasing questions

Options
  • 07-03-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am considering leasing a local pub but im not sure on all the stuff you hafto go through in oreder to get a license to sell drink. Is it a case the plremises itself is licensed or is it the owner who is licesnsed to sell alcohol? i have asked the agent this but they seem to a bit clueless.
    also there is vat on the rent is that reclaimable or partly because of the fact that your a business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭NCG

A licence attaches to the premises but the landlord will inevitably wish to transfer the licence temporarily to you (so that you are legally responsible under the licencing laws). There will usually be an ad-interim transfer to be confirmed at the annual licencing court (September). You will need a solicitor to assist you with this.

With a pub you will inevitably be over the VAT registration threshold so you will have to register for VAT. This means you will be able to reclaim the VAT on your inputs (purchases/expenses), including the lease if it has VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kyle1k

thanks that pretty much answers everything. do you know of the costs involved in transfering the license or it it just solictors fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭NCG

As far as I know there are no costs other than the costs of making a District Court application (or two). However, you should contact a solicitor to get an idea of fees.

Advertisement