Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time college and Jobseekers Allowance

• 07-03-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I am going to be made redundant from my full time job where I have worked for 6 years.

I am also in college part time 2 nights a week for a total of 6 hours per week.

I am a mature student and have paid for this course myself.

Does this enable me to apply for job seekers allowance while looking for employment?

I have no intention of lying about college and want to be totally unfront with the social welfare.

Can anyone help me out on whether part time courses disqualify me for applying.

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I don`t think it does because its not impeeding you searching for a full time job.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Moved from Awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I started a night course in september two nights a week and one saturday and I had no problem getting jobseekers benefit, it tied me over till I got my job now:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

Hi, you are already doing the course while working a full time job it will have not effect on your claim. There is a section on the UP1 (JB application form) to provide this information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭rebecca 30

Michelle30 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am going to be made redundant from my full time job where I have worked for 6 years.

I am also in college part time 2 nights a week for a total of 6 hours per week.

I am a mature student and have paid for this course myself.

Does this enable me to apply for job seekers allowance while looking for employment?

I have no intention of lying about college and want to be totally unfront with the social welfare.

Can anyone help me out on whether part time courses disqualify me for applying.

Thanks a mill.

Hi,
    No it will not effect job seekers allowance as it is 6 hours at night, if your on job seekers for 9 months ( it may have change in the last 2 years since i started back at college) you will be transfer onto back to education allowance
    (BTEA) & book allowance if you are going full time in college ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement