Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gracenote Media DB

Options
  • 07-03-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know how this thing actually works, because I just got baffled beyone belief.

I have NTG 2.5 comand system in my car, which I updated about a year ago to version 5, which itself was released in and around November 2010. I haven't had my car near a dealer since probably last April when I got this service done.

The update includes a version of Gracenote media DB which it reads when I insert a CD, as there is no internet access. So lots of times it doesn't know the CD I put in, mainly new ones, but some old ones also, no big deal really, but it is a nice feature to have.

What I don't understand is that I bought a brand new CD yesterday, Bruce Springsteen's Wrecking Ball to be precise, which has only just been released.

How the hell did my comand system know what it was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The only explanation is that Bruce's record company must have registered it that far back. Did you get the album title and track names all lined up in the correct order?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

coylemj wrote: »
    The only explanation is that Bruce's record company must have registered it that far back.

That's what I was thinking, but a year and a half ago??????

coylemj wrote: »
    Did you get the album title and track names all lined up in the correct order?

Yep, everything is bang on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The Wrecking Ball CD includes CD text, so the track information is written on the CD itself. Most modern car CD players can read this additional information and display it.

I know because I noticed it this morning with the very same CD on my own car stereo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

blastman wrote: »
    The Wrecking Ball CD includes CD text, so the track information is written on the CD itself. Most modern car CD players can read this additional information and display it.

I know because I noticed it this morning with the very same CD on my own car stereo. :)

I had read somewhere about this CD text since I posted here. Seems to be a Sony thing and given that the CD is a Sony one, I guess it makes sense!

Why don't all CD's have it, silly not to really, it is great!

Advertisement