Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brief rundown?

Options
  • 07-03-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hey lads i use the Boards TS for LOL and some other stuff and see the WOT room is always busy. tempted to give it a go. Can some one explain what its like exactly and how steep is the learning curve?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's not like a lot of other MMO's.

It's free to play for a start, so you can download and play right now.

The tank combat is quite different from other games. Real world mechanics play a much larger part. Armour thickness and shape/angle matter. If your gun is to weak to penetrate an enemy, then it simply bounces. So proper aiming and timing are more important.

Somewhat akin to classes, tanks are divided into heavy, medium, light, tank destroyers and artillery. Each has different strengths/weaknesses, roles and playstyles as you'd expect.

The tanks progress from 7 tonne 1930's designs, like the Leichtraktor, up to 188 tonnes monsters like the Maus at tier 10.

Currently matches are normally 15 vs 15, with 30 vs 30 and 45 vs 45 on the way.

Nody had a bunch of invite codes up:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056566406

so you can use one of those when creating account to help you along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

It's free to play but if you want to avoid the grind you can pay for premium status which gives 150 % credits and xp

Seriously steep learning curve prob 200 - 300 matches before youre comfortable with the game , but then it gets to be great fun

Bit of advice would be to stick to one tech tree at a time , personally i'd go up the russian heavy one and you might get the KV/kv3 in time for the update and get a second tank out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ZZR1100

As spear said its free to play and you can in theory get to tier 10 without ever paying a penny (altough i would hate to try it).
    the good thing is that the higest tier you can go to is ten, so the top players are not going to get too far ahead of a starting player.
    the early tanks are fairly weak so expect to be killed a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

One thing that I always point out to people I'm trying to convince to pay the game is that your always matched against players with similar tanks to you.

zil wrote: »
    One thing that I always point out to people I'm trying to convince to pay the game is that your always matched against players with similar tanks to you.

lies :P that never happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

zil wrote: »

In theory ;)

Well, it works as intended :D

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

Can you become reasonably competitive(not hold back a team) with little or no spending on the game?I'm happy to grind if required

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Can you become reasonably competitive(not hold back a team) with little or no spending on the game?I'm happy to grind if required

I went up to tier 7 without spending a cent. Others have gone to tier 10. While there are gold shells with improved armour piercing capability available, there's no "pay to win" otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You can get every tank in the game by grinding alone but it slows down considerably with out premium around tier 7 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Spear wrote: »
    I went up to tier 7 without spending a cent. Others have gone to tier 10. While there are gold shells with improved armour piercing capability available, there's no "pay to win" otherwise.
    Nody wrote: »
    You can get every tank in the game by grinding alone but it slows down considerably with out premium around tier 7 or so.

I'd also like to add that running tier 8/9/10 tanks without premium will most likely end up with you being broke.

You'd really need a money earning tank to add to those. While this can be had at around tier 6, the money they earn is miniscule really (you'd need to have 5 good games in a tier 6 to pay for 1 bad loss at tier 9/10).

So while technically, yes it is possible - it would be a right PITA.

• Advertisement

ya but there is plenty of guys who dont pay , xperia has a standard acc and uses his kv for money too I think , same with zappa , its really doable but expect to spend around a third of the time more in a tank than you have to. and you can break even up to tier 8 no prob and in a good match with the IS 4 I can make 30k profit , thats with premium though
    All money does is speed up the grind

Actually it looks like all of this is about to change for the better:

http://worldoftanks.eu/news/1516-72-preview-game-economy-changes/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Spear wrote: »
    Actually it looks like all of this is about to change for the better:

http://worldoftanks.eu/news/1516-72-preview-game-economy-changes/
    Not really; TDs get reduced income (they are an excellent credit earner at T9 atm imo); Arties get an increase at lower tiers but with the French/light scout lines they will still be hard starved to make a profit (esp. as T6/T7 are not increased). Heavies get a bit of balancing but I still see losses in the middle/high tiers of it from their notes.

One thing of note though was the AMX 13 - 90 getting a 10% increase; it's a very very good credit earner already with top gun (can damage T9 heavies etc.) and that will increase even further.

In summary, lower tiers earn money faster, mid tiers slightly faster, higher tiers earn more on top tiers only but slow down in in general (i.e. the one to three tiers below the top tier will make less money while the top tier makes slightly more on a tank that's usually produce a loss on a victory anyway so might even break even if lucky).

Whats the deal with these invite codes?

Whats the deal with these invite codes?
    The invite codes only work on new accounts (never played any games) and give the account 3 days premium (costs around 10 EUR a month and gives +50% cash/exp) and 1k gold (worth about 5 EUR, gold is the micro transaction currency in game used to buy premium status etc.).

Might give it a go after my LOL buzz is over

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BIE.Ryaner

Do it man, play for free to see how it all works, then when you're familiar with the game setup it'll be more obvious how paying money can help at that point if you find you like it enough to want to get to a higher tank more quickly.

The rationale being that a game or other MMO would cost a certain amount, so why not throw an equivalent amount for a premium account in world of tanks.

But it is a slippery slope :) you feel like the poor cousin when you're not on premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

make sure you have a decent computer. I was playing on a laptop that was only 18months old and thought the game wasnt running smoothly because I'd set the account up on the US server. Loaded it on a new work laptop and wow, its like a different game

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Zappa021

Hey lads i use the Boards TS for LOL and some other stuff and see the WOT room is always busy. tempted to give it a go. Can some one explain what its like exactly and how steep is the learning curve?

this is it

silverharp wrote: »
    make sure you have a decent computer. I was playing on a laptop that was only 18months old and thought the game wasnt running smoothly because I'd set the account up on the US server. Loaded it on a new work laptop and wow, its like a different game

Comp only a month or 2 old with invidea Graphics

• Advertisement

Zappa021 wrote: »
    this is it

Wait you start off good and get worse?lol

Wait you start off good and get worse?lol

Ya pretty much , you start off with your crappy little tier 1 tank , and you go around shooting teammates driving into walls and being a total newbie , this goes on for the first 4 tiers , then you've learned the mechanics and where to shoot at each different tank and generally pull your weight .
    Then you reach tier 8 where you'll peak you know every tanks weak spots and you'll play depending on the map and generally can change a loss into a win
    Finally after all that grinding through tanks to get to tier 10 all your tactics disappear and you turn into a noob , you drive straight at the enemy in your big invulnerable tier 10 and are generally the first tank to die :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Learning curve is extremely steep, unless you go to fora or TS people for help.

Go to 11:00 in this video for the 'official' assessment of the noobie experience by a member of Wargaming NA's staff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXfYxt8Pq2I

Once you figure out the basics of what's happening (particularly spotting mechanics), or at least have them explained to you, it's much more satisfying, but a lot of people will quit early because they are dying often, dying quickly, and not having much fun. Try not to be discouraged, it really is worth sticking with it.

NTM

Right i'm gonna use one of those invite codes and start today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Steep learning curve? ya'll need to play Eve to understand a steep learning curve.

For a noobie just point and shoot and repeat.

Advertisement