Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo Limit how to increase??

Options
  • 07-03-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I was asking how to increase the ammo of ammo on my licence and asked to give a detailed letter of why i need it and how much i need. i currently have 100rounds on my licence and am looking for a 1000 as if i am at the clays i use maybe 200 rounds and then we have the hunting the fox hunting the duck woodcock snipe pheasant and rabbit hunting as well as the keeping down of vermin such as crows, pigeon, magpies etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Write a letter to the super explaining the need to keep a good stock of clay cartridges as well as the variety of other types you would need to have around. You may need to have a visit from the local Crime Prevention Officer to make sure you can store all the ammo safely. That's how it was for me. I went from 500 to 5000 on a .22LR for the purposes of batch testing ammo and buying in bulk. Was no hassle once the CPO gave me the all-clear on storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

There shouldn't be an issue if you explain why you require 1000 shells, I wrote a letter explaining and included where I shot clays and contact details at the ranges.

If you have ICPSA membership or CSI membership include it. I had to buy an additional safe for secure storage of said rounds but that wasn't a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

in a recent substitution from a .270 to a .25-06 I asked to change my ammo limit from 100 to 400. I didnt give an explanation or anything just chanced it...

Still at 100 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Are the recommended ammo amounts not set out in the Garda commissioners guidelines?
    I would be quoting these as minimum amount required

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

clivej wrote: »
    Are the recommended ammo amounts not set out in the Garda commissioners guidelines?

They are but aren't they guidelines, :rolleyes: and depending on who you are dealing with, these guidelines might not be his guidelines;)

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    They are but aren't they guidelines, :rolleyes: and depending on who you are dealing with, these guidelines might not be his guidelines;)

And as such they should be used as a guide for the amount of ammo you should be applying for and quoting these guidelines in your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

I didn't see or hear of anybody getting more than 100 rounds/cartridges on their licence. I believe people tried with no success. Anybody on this ever get more than a 100 on their licence? 100 is nothing really. Their should be the option on application and a blank bit for a reason for their behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

4200fps wrote: »
    I didn't see or hear of anybody getting more than 100 rounds/cartridges on their licence. I believe people tried with no success. Anybody on this ever get more than a 100 on their licence? 100 is nothing really. Their should be the option on application and a blank bit for a reason for their behalf

5000 on a .22LR
    250 on a 12GA
    200 on a .25-06

I asked, I explained, I was given. Simple as, really. It's not a myth. Also, there *is* a spot on the application to ask for a given ammunition limit. You can then write a letter explaining why you need that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

500 .22lr
    500 12G

Super seems to like the number 500:pac:

Don't need anymore than that atm.

4200fps wrote: »

2000 .22lr across 2 licenses
    500 .223
    500 .308
    1000 12G
    850 .38spl

Ask and you shall recieve :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

I asked and received the following

500 - Shotgun
    1000 - all 22 rifle's
    1000 - 22 pistol
    1000 - .44

regards

DB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Ah be the holy. That's all new to me

From the Garda Commissioners Guidelines. Note the text I have put in BOLD type.
    Its only the farmer that should be given 100 shells for vermin control all others are above that amount.
    And when your looking for a 22lr license tell your FO that the ammo comes in tins of 500 and boxes of 525 rounds and that you may have a full box or 2

The type or category of shooting being conducted by the applicant will be a key consideration when an issuing person is determining the amounts of ammunition to be specified in the firearm certificate. The following ratio of ammunition to purpose could be considered average:
    •Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds.
    •Deer Gun – 200 to 260 rounds.
    •Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock – 500 to 750 rounds.
    •Target Shooter (member of authorised club) – 750 to 1,000 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭black powder colt

i have 500rd 303 and 250 12 ga. got the 12 ga before i got into target shooting so it depends on the cops i think.the ones in roxboro limerick were very fair but i have yet to deal with the guards in my new district.anybody get 2000rds or more of centerfire ammo. prices are mad nowdays 70 euro per 100 of dirty rusting 80s 7.62x54 the stuff is 17 euro per 100 state side and 29 pounds per 100 in the uk anyone know of cheaper place to get it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I have 1000 12g

100 .270 win.

am asking for 1100 for new .22. any hints before application goes in.

Application going in as soon as I find my local station open. prob Tuesday or Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I've 500 .22lr
    500 12g
    500 30-30win:D
    I guess 500 is my supers lucky number:) Although in saying that he only gave my missus 100 on her licence and the same to my mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

on my shotgun the old supper gave me
    100 - 12g
    200 - .22lr

at one point i had 3 525 value packs of .22lr and 400 cci subs

and 500 clay cartages and 250 of various hunting cartages

do they realy inforce the amount of ammo that we own???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

on my shotgun the old supper gave me
    100 - 12g
    200 - .22lr

at one point i had 3 525 value packs of .22lr and 400 cci subs

and 500 clay cartages and 250 of various hunting cartages

do they realy inforce the amount of ammo that we own???

If they were to do a spot check on your security and found you had more than was on your licence you would be in deep sh1t. In your case you had 1775 rounds of unlicenced .22lr and 650 of 12 gauge, if you were one round over you could claim an honest mistake but bit harder when you're nearly 2000 rounds over your limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Never ceases to amaze me that on one of the biggest sites in Ireland people admit to breaking the law.

The DoJ read here everyday, if they were so inclined they could request your personal information from boards headquarters (what's known as a section 8 I think) and knock on your door.

Dav, the Community Manager, and full time boards employee has frequent contact with the Gardai over content posted elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

ya but this was a few months back and now in the legal limit after some plinking and crow shooting

• Advertisement
Advertisement