Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Postitive OPK

Options
  • 07-03-2012 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Hey all - we got our first ever (well after two months of using them) positive OPK - had been getting faint lines for the last few days, but yesterday we got the 2 dark red lines.

I thought I understood them completely - but then my husband asked me a few questions,

So where the faint lines detections of low level LH surge?

When you get the positive it says it's the best time to do the deed (so prior to that was all the other sperm not used - but it can live for 3-5 days)?

How long till you are actually pregnant (provided it is successful) - so you get the positive - 12-36 hours later the egg is released - hopefully meets the sperm - are you then pregnant?

Wow - I sound really silly asking some of these - sorry :o also I have had large amounts of EWCM today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

Hi Sticky Bean!

When I was TTC I gave 2 months obessed with OPKs! I couldn't figure them out at all. I established that I was gettign the LH surge and probably ovulating so that was the biggest positive to come out of using them! I then started to read "Taking Charge of Your Fetility" by Toni Weisler (I think thats her name I don't have the book with me). It seems that cervical fluid is the best indicator of your fertile time, started tracking my temp and cervical fluid in the last few days of my cycle in Nov, and bang December - pregnant! I don't mean to give false hope to anyone and I think that the OPKs have their place, but don't rely on them too much! Your body produces subtle (and not so subtle) hints to aid babymaking!

Best of luck to everyone on this forum, baby dust to you all ********

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Thanks taxus_baccata

we started using the OPK after my cycles became irregular - they were always 29-30 days but have been up to 40 the last few months - and CM has varied.

I am really hoping this is our month - so excited and nervous today - walking around touching my stomach - I know there is nothing there YET - but just smiling away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

There is always the LH hormone in your system throughout your cycle hence the reason you can get a faint line on an OPK however as your body prepares to release an egg the LH hormone spikes giving you a darker line than normal on an OPK.

You are advised to do the deed the day of & day after a positive to give you the best odds of concieving, it is possible that older sperm could fertile an egg but doing the deed when you get a positive greatly increases your chances.

It usually takes 7-10 days after fertilisation for the fertilised egg to implant into the uterus wall & start growing into a pregnancy & producing the hormone that turns a pregnancy test positive.

Hope this helps & best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Thank you so much MS2011 - that sounds much clearer

Wow - I can't believe we tried for so long not to get pregnant - and when you see how hard it can be to get pregant - how ironic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

stickybean wrote: »
    Thank you so much MS2011 - that sounds much clearer

Wow - I can't believe we tried for so long not to get pregnant - and when you see how hard it can be to get pregant - how ironic :)
    Euh, I can't remember how many times I've said that with friends. Age definitely does not help things!

• Advertisement
Advertisement