Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oils - Bulk buying

• 07-03-2012 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭

I need to restock some oils supplies, I've bought 200lt barrels (mostly 10w 40 semi syn) in the past. Was just wondering if anyone buys oil in larger quanties e.g 1000lt IBC drums and does it work out any cheaper?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

1000 litres is some amount. i think when buying the 200l barrels that thats a lot of oil and normally does me at least 3 years each. i buy 200l barrels of 15w40 engine, 10w30 back axel and a barrell of hydraulic oil. i often think when time is up of even buying a 5 gallon drums but hate disposing of all those small drums afterwards. you would need to have a serious amount of gear to justify a 1000 litre barrel unless you are a mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Yes 1000 ltrs is quite a lot and would last me a while too. However oil will probably never be as cheap as it is today, so regardless of the amount of gear one has, if you can afford to buy and store it now and get it cheaper in large volumes, you will definately be saving in the long run.

Next question of course is how long/well does it store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Milton09 wrote: »
    Yes 1000 ltrs is quite a lot and would last me a while too. However oil will probably never be as cheap as it is today, so regardless of the amount of gear one has, if you can afford to buy and store it now and get it cheaper in large volumes, you will definately be saving in the long run.

Next question of course is how long/well does it store?

everyone will give you a different answer to that. Personally I wouldn't think of storing any oil for more than a year unless its a full drum / barrel as condensation builds up as the barrel empties out, the amount's might be small but still.. re having a barrel for three years, you would be better off with 5Gal drums if you don't have the use for more than a 3rd of a barrel a year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

What price for the barrels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Milton09 wrote: »
    I need to restock some oils supplies, I've bought 200lt barrels (mostly 10w 40 semi syn) in the past. Was just wondering if anyone buys oil in larger quanties e.g 1000lt IBC drums and does it work out any cheaper?

bigger loss if it were stolen, white van men might spot it !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement