Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Scotland -Aviva Stadium - Saturday 10th March 5pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Kearney should have tackled Gray but it was a 2 on 1 against professional rugby players. They score that 999 times out of 1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I agree it was a bad situation to begin with but he didn't make Gray beat him. He could have stood up Gray and put the pressure on him to make the pass. Gray is a second row and alot of forwards don't react well when pressurised into passing the ball.

and Gray would run over anyone on a one on one, unless you take the ankles off the fuker. But he had a player outside

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭JRant

To do a quick 5 things we learned from today.
    1 - Ryan is a beast, great around the park and the lineout. Gonna be a serious player for us from now on.
    2 - Sexton is starting to really command in the 10 jersey.
    3 - Ferris is about as good as it gets, imagine if he had two knees.
    4 - Earls might just be able to play at 13.
    5 - DK hasn't got a clue what to do with substitutions.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

yimrsg wrote: »
    ROG (like Reddan) seemed to kick too much considering Hogg tore apart France and was the wrong tactic giving him opportunities to run it back, however our chase and line coped well. He improved as the game went on but the 10 minute period after the subs we were a little aimless in our play. .

I dont know what game you were watching with regards to ROG's kicks, I think he kicked 4, two from near his 5m line to touch, his first two kicks. His next one was a garryowen, knocked on by Hogg (I think) scrum to Ireland, messed up by TOL and Ireland, scrum awarded to Scotland. His last kick was down the wing, sent back their winger and led to the Kearney, catch, fumble, regather and charge down the field, passed to Earls and then the YC for Scotland.

So that's 4 kicks, two to clear the line which is fairly standard by most teams.

I think you're harsh on ROG.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

CatFromHue wrote: »

With the ball in hand he needs to bring other players into play. He's a very strong runner with the ball but his passing and awareness could be better.- how aware does he have to be to notice the holes in the defence that help him make so many yards?

These are general comments but how often do you actually see Kearney pass the ball after he starts running? - Again, why should he pass the ball if he can take it half way up the pitch by himself before going to ground, recycling the ball and setting up another attack from a ruck?

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Been watching much rugby lately? Gray is not like most forwards. Listen, if you think Kearney is a poor tackler, fair enough, but there was no way he could have prevented that try. If he'd rushed up on Gray and the outside man had skated in, he'd have been slated for committing too early. A no-win situation.

Scotland were odds on to score the try all right but Kearney could have made it harder for them to do so. If he'd committed Gray I don't think he would have been slated either. If he'd made Gray beat him anything could have happened. It was a poor try to give away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Thought I'd post some pics from the match

195966.JPG

195967.JPG

195968.JPG

195969.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Anyone else worried about Sextons attitude ? Today was the day he had to step up into a leadership role and he spent an awful lot of time giving the ref and touch judges lip.

Another ref might not have taken too kindly to the way he was conducting himself and that kind of attitude doesnt really befit a leader of a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Oh god

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

conor1979 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

In the phase just before Trimbles try at the end of the first half when Kearney got the pass from Earls he was faced with a two on one as Trimble was outside him. He put the ball under one arm though and took it on himself.

Granted we scored from the next phase but there was the opportunity to put Trimble away which he didn't take.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

durkadurka wrote: »
    Oh god

Didn't notice him.
    What position was he playing in?

Oh god

Was that in response to my post ? If so would you care to elaborate a bit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

MungBean wrote: »
    Anyone else worried about Sextons attitude ? Today was the day he had to step up into a leadership role and he spent an awful lot of time giving the ref and touch judges lip.

Another ref might not have taken too kindly to the way he was conducting himself and that kind of attitude doesnt really befit a leader of a team.

It's not really a major concern. Definitely something he could work on though. In fairness, I've seen players like POC give the refs a lot more lip. Hopefully today was just a once off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Tbh..... I didn't notice any of that and that was his best performance of the season for Ireland, so to answer your question, no I am not worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

To be honest, I'm more worried about his mental fragility when taking goal kicks. Oh wait... Well, then I know that he'll crumble when he sees O'Gara warming up... no, no, hang on, yeah, it's his attitude, that's it.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I'm more worried about his mental fragility when taking goal kicks. Oh wait... Well, then I know that he'll crumble when he sees O'Gara warming up... no, no, hang on, yeah, it's his attitude, that's it.

I have no idea what your on about. You think I'm having a pop at Sexton for the sake of it or something ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Tbh..... I didn't notice any of that and that was his best performance of the season for Ireland, so to answer your question, no I am not worried.

Can't say I saw it either, Sexton was very assured today.

I have no idea what your on about. You think I'm having a pop at Sexton for the sake of it or something ?

I don't know to be honest and fair enough if you're not, but I definitely think you're reading too much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭JRant

What's going on here?
    Sexton has an attitude problem!
    Kearney is awful in defense!
    Heaslip is crap!

Must be watching a different game tbh!!!!

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

DM360 wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of praise for POM but I can't say I noticed him during the game. Seemed fairly quiet and I didn't witness any particular moments of brilliance from him. Not sure really sure why he's being held in such high regard.

2 maybe 3 great turnovers. Took on a lot of ball and made some good carries. Involved in a lt of tackles. Great little run around the back of the lineout and pass to Best for his try. Don't think you ask for more from a starting debut. 4th best forward after Healy, Ryan and Ferris.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »

He was pretty mouthy today and was throwing a lot of shapes when things didnt go our way reffing wise. Not saying its a huge issue or anything or that he didnt play well. I thought he had a great game today. Just a little concerned about the way he's talking to the ref is all. He seems to be getting increasingly more agitated and mouthy towards the ref.

Nigel Owens for one probably wouldnt have put up with it I dont think, making your point to the ref or TJ is one thing but shouting and talking to them in an ignorant manner is something that isnt nice to see in a game. And I'm not sure what some posters issue is but I think I'm quite entitled to discuss how a player is conducting himself on the pitch.

I don't know to be honest and fair enough if you're not, but I definitely think you're reading too much into it.

Well I'm not having a go at him for the sake of it, its just something that caught my eye today is all. Perhaps I am reading a bit too much into it but even at that I'm surely entitled to mention it.

Was that in response to my post ? If so would you care to elaborate a bit ?

I'll admit it was brief. To elaborate, basically sexton has come to own the shirt over the last few games and show exactly what he brings to the table. The last remaining issue was the the goal kicking which has been grand this tournament and particularly accurate today .

And now we're onto his attitude. That stinks to be fair.

2 maybe 3 great turnovers. Took on a lot of ball and made some good carries. Involved in a lt of tackles. Great little run around the back of the lineout and pass to Best for his try. Don't think you ask for more from a starting debut. 4th best forward after Healy, Ryan and Ferris.

POM was very good today; solid, did his job, no mistakes (conceded one penalty maybe), very successful first start. Just watched the game back and Hook was creaming himself at half-time, think he was a bit over the top in his praise because I think POM is still a 6 wearing 7 and I didn't see much today to change my mind, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if SOB doesn't recover for next week.

I'll admit it was brief. To elaborate, basically sexton has come to own the shirt over the last few games and show exactly what he brings to the table. The last remaining issue was the the goal kicking which has been grand this tournament and particularly accurate today .

And now we're onto his attitude. That stinks to be fair.

Well to be honest none of that has anything to do with my post. I never posted anything critical about his kicking. I have never doubted his ability or questioned his rise to take the 10 shirt as his own.

So I dont think I should have to alter my opinion or my posts to suit your issues with what other posters have said. If I want to discuss the way he conducts himself in the game in relation to the ref then I'll discuss it. If you dont want to discuss it then dont, move on. But dont think for a second you can tell me what I can or cannot talk about because you have a chip on your shoulder over what other people have said.

Well you've managed to imply that I'm trying to be some sort of opinion Gestapo which I clearly am not. I simply think that sexton is doing very well and talk of his attitude is just nitpicking.
    Anyway I'll engage no further.
    Night all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I've had run ins with MungBean before, mainly the red card in the WC incident

But infairness to him he's not having a pop at Sexton for the sake of it or to flame

Well you've managed to imply that I'm trying to be some sort of opinion Gestapo which I clearly am not. I simply think that sexton is doing very well and talk of his attitude is just nitpicking.
    Anyway I'll engage no further.
    Night all.

Then why not just say that instead of rubbishing my opinion then following up by telling me that it stinks to be discussing his attitude because other before have criticised him for his kicking. This is a rugby forum and this thread is for the discussion of todays match. I'm quite entitled to discuss how one player conducted himself today and I dont appreciate being accused of unfairly picking on the player because what other people have said previously.

It was an innocent enough post about his attitude in dealing with the ref, others responded in a reasonable manner so I dont understand why some are getting so worked up about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Match day thread was a bit more bearable today, although there were still some absolute nuggets.

This one is my fave, posted ten minutes into the game
    NickDrake wrote: »
    why are people surprised? We were never going to win this game.

I hadn't hit refresh there and didn't see it had all been done already. There is nothing wrong with Sexton's attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Just watching the game back on Setanta now. To be fair, Kearney did himself no favours for that try.

As a schoolboy you learn that you always go for the man with the ball and trust your defence to cover the outside. Don't focus on the ball and you won't buy the dummy.

I thought it was always cover the outside and trust your defence to come across to defend the inside.I'm pretty sure of that.

Chavways wrote: »
    I thought it was always cover the outside and trust your defence to come across to defend the inside.I'm pretty sure of that.

What defence? He was the last man. If you're in a defensive line then yes you obviously have a man to mark and if you get drawn to the ball you can leave a gap but this was an entirely different situation.

danthefan wrote: »
    What defence? He was the last man. If you're in a defensive line then yes you obviously have a man to mark and if you get drawn to the ball you can leave a gap but this was an entirely different situation.

Ya I know.I was referring to a situation like this in general. No matter what decision Kearney made today a try was inevitable but usually if there were numbers you would cover the outside and the players tracking across would take the ball carrier.

Nobody could have prevented that try today.

Chavways wrote: »
    Ya I know.I was referring to a situation like this in general. No matter what decision Kearney made today a try was inevitable but usually if there were numbers you would cover the outside and the players tracking across would take the ball carrier.

Nobody could have prevented that try today.

Reddan or Bowe could have. Kearney couldn't.

danthefan wrote: »
    Reddan or Bowe could have. Kearney couldn't.

I meant nobody in Kearneys position

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭clsmooth

To summarise: Heaslip is ****e, Kearneys defence is ****e, D'Arcy is ****e, Redden played ****e, Sextons attitude is ****e. What's the common link here?

To quote a great manager, 'You's are ****ing idiots'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Great photos
    Surley wrote: »
    Thought I'd post some pics from the match

195966.JPG

195967.JPG

195968.JPG

195969.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

So we won fairly well in the end but I still think we're struggling in this competition. We're taking our trys when we get the opportunity but we still aren't playing that well.

I'll have a look at the game again tomorrow and see if I missed some stuff. But right now I'm still a bit concerned about where this team is actually going.

Clegg wrote: »
    So we won fairly well in the end but I still think we're struggling in this competition. We're taking our trys when we get the opportunity but we still aren't playing that well.

I'll have a look at the game again tomorrow and see if I missed some stuff. But right now I'm still a bit concerned about where this team is actually going.

I thought it was a very patchy performance. I'm glad we were playing Scotland because we'd have lost to Wales or France on that performance, and I'd imagine it won't be good enough for Twickenham either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Nice shot of Sexton kicking, luck shot or did you have one of those cameras that can take several shots in quick succession?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't get why they reshuffle the backline when D'Arcy goes off with Sexton moving to 12. Why not put on McFadden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I don't get why they reshuffle the backline when D'Arcy goes off with Sexton moving to 12. Why not put on McFadden?

This.

We've seen what can happen to Earls and Fitzgerald when they get shifted about the place, so why are we shifting Sexton to accomodate a guy who's only going to win a handful more caps? McFadden in at 12 is clearly the right call, given that D'arcy is pretty much finished for Ireland and McFadden is the obvious replacement.

Ryan and Reddan proved why they should have been starting all along, great displays.

Kearney and Ferris: to quote Andy Gray "Tikaboo, son."

Earls, credit where it is due, has not embarassed himself like we all thought (well, other than making a meal out of the Evans incident). Doesn't change the fact that his selection was the wrong choice, though. Also, I wouldn't be proclaiming him as Ireland's future 13 after good performances against Italy and Scotland at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'm guessing the media didnt ask Kidney this (didnt see the post match interviews/analysis)

Did any analyst talk about it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

phog wrote: »
    BTW, TOL didn't weaken the team, in fact I dont think any of the subs weakened the team.

I thought Ireland lost a lot of rhythm and control with the three subs.

I really don't understand Kidney's approach to substitutions. Some games he keeps his entire bench on their arses and others he springs people for no apparent reason.
    Anyone else worried about Sextons attitude ?

No. He appeared to be mouthing off a bit today but he's no worse then your average scrum half and he's never gotten in trouble for it from any ref that I'm aware of.

I really have no idea. Today it seemed to be because Kidney wanted ROG to take over the captaincy, which was ludicrous. If D'Arcy has to come off though I'd much prefer to see McFadden go on in a straight swap. Sexton was doing well at 10 and moving him out to 12 just didn't make any sense to me.

With regards Kearney, I'd be of the opinion he should have tackled Grey. Putting a lock under pressure to make a pass or offload is preferable to giving him free reign to run in. A try was always going to be scored there though. Kearney's defence is definitely the weakest point of his game - which is not to say it's bad, but it could do with some work. He's missed a reasonable number of last ditch tackles for Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

POC isn't fit though. DOC is playing well and doing the job asked of him. He shouldn't be first choice but, its nowhere near the problem people are making it.

I actually think I bigger deal should be made of Earl's performances. There were threads of bile and venom spewed about him before the 6N began. He has now put in 4 very accomplished performances at 13 while steadily improving every week. His critics have been silenced, little if any of them have admitted they were terribly off point.

A good many people have said in loads of other threads that Earls has surprised them with how well he has done so I don't know where you are coming up with the utter bollocks of your last sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Absolute LOL.

I'm starting to believe that Sexton could give 10 masterclass performances in a row and that people would still manage to criticise the colour of his socks or something equally silly.

Teferi wrote: »
    Absolute LOL.

I'm starting to believe that Sexton could give 10 masterclass performances in a row and that people would still manage to criticise the colour of his socks or something equally silly.

Oh sorry I forgot that because other people criticised his kicking he's no longer eligible to be spoken about.

Mods !! Can you put that in the charter please ? Sexton is no longer to be talked about on the forum. He's had his quota of ciritism this year and anything that remotely looks like criticism should be banned.

Hopefully we wont make that mistake again ! Imagine that, talking about a rugby player in the rugby forum. Ridiculous !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

If only Ireland had started the 6nations in this form, we could have had the championship wrapped up at this stage. Still though Kidney needs to deliver in the pressure situations. A win against France and Wales in 2013 would guarantee us a Grand Slam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Its funny how if your SOB you get a turnover taken off you and if your a newbie a couple is added on. All credit to POM, very competent debut, no backrow injury should be treated with trepidation. SOB does need to be cut a bit more slack though, had he delivered POMs performance the popular description woul've been anonymous. He's only been a starter for a season lest we forget. All credit POM though, you cant ignore his passion..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

No, I think he's a consummate professional but I did see him throwing shapes towards the ref and touch judges a few times. But in fairness, he was in the right whenever I saw him do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement