Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often Should I turn "On and Off" my UPC router

Options
  • 07-03-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

So we all know the "On and Off" trick with the router, but how often should this need to be done? There are 4 lap tops in our house share and 3 smart phones. Everyone is happy with the wifi except one house mate keeps getting us to turn it on and off at least once a day. It works on everyones else's lap tops fine. Works on 3 Samsung Galaxy smart phones fine with no issues. I have told this house mate it HAS to be his lap top thats the problem but he says he has had it checked and it aint. I was thinking to put it on a light switch timer and turn it off each night at 4am for 10 mins. any thoughts? If its working on 3 lap tops and 3 smart phones with no issues does this PROVE beyond all reasonable doubt his lap top is indeed the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I don't have a solution for you, but another scenario, mine: I run several machines on Xp doing Folding, all connected by wifi to a router downstairs and on into a UPC modem. Sometimes none of my PCs can connect, but the lad downstairs playing poker online is connected no problem. Then I powercycle the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I don't have a solution for you, but another scenario, mine: I run several machines on Xp doing Folding, all connected by wifi to a router downstairs and on into a UPC modem. Sometimes none of my PCs can connect, but the lad downstairs playing poker online is connected no problem. Then I powercycle the router.

Ok, whats power cycling the router?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Ok, whats power cycling the router?:confused:

Take a brisk cycle with the modem strapped to your head. No faster than 3mbps though, please. :pac:

On a serious note - Power cycling - Powering on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I was wondering how often this needs to be done too.
    Terrible Skype experience just now.
    Tested on speedtest afterwards. Upload kept failing.
    Tried upc speedtest. Upload kept failing.
    Restarted router.... off for 30 seconds.
    Now back to 75mb down and 11mb up! So it did something. Thinkig of leaving it off at night now. bit of a hassle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Just use the upc yoke as a cable modem, buy a proper wireless router and use that instead for wifi (wifi router connected to cable modem via physical cable).

After doing this all my wifi rage stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭kindalen

do you just plug another wifi router in with ethernet cable and connect to that router?

Yes. And disable wifi on the original one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭kindalen

Cool, how do I disable the wireless on the useless Cisco?
    Will my phone still work?

Log into it and change wifi from enabled to disabled. Has nothing to do with your phone.

Advertisement