Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hopeful Mature student from Northern Ireland - Funding???

Options
  • 07-03-2012 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Im 23 (24 in a few days :eek:) and I have an Arts Degree (June 2011).

I want to go and study Medicine ASAP, and because I got a 2:2 (God damn pride didnt let me claim extenuating circs - would have allowed me extra marks and pulled me to a 2:1) I cant go the GEP route - only Mature Entry. [Sat the HPAT there, fingers crossed!]

Now, I got a Student Loan for my first degree, I studied in Northern Ireland - and I cant find ANY info regarding any entitlements for studying Medicine.

I know that usually you are not allowed fees/loans for a second degree - although Medicine is an exception in the North/UK.

All I can find on student finance is that if I am from Northern Ireland I dont have to pay fees to study in the Republic.

Dont suppose anyone can help? :(

Im reluctant to ring SF myself - as they have a nasty reputation of flat out lying about what you are and are not entitled to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP,

I don't know how relevant to your situation would be but in the republic you don't get free fees or maintenance/ fee grants for a second undergrad course.

Maybe try the fees dept of the college you are applying to. They should be able to give you info on the fees /support that apply in your case. Or you can contact the Dept of Ed Student support unit: 057 9325317

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jo85

Hi fairytale girl,
    I was wondering if you were able to get anymore information regarding funding help. I am also from Northern Ireland and would like to apply to medicine in dublin. I have a previous degree so unfortunately would have to pay full fees. With the fee increase i just don't know how i could pay for it. I have emailed a few universities but have not heard back. Did you have anymore luck with finding out funding information?

Thanks
    Joanne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Joanne,

Unfortunately not!

Furthermore we are also NOT eligible for Grad Medicine funding in the UK either.

I;m at a standstill in my journey for this very reason, I am not eligible for Queens University (the only medical school in NI) - Cant get funded to study Grad med in the UK - and I have no more info on studying in ROI.

So please, update me if anyone gets back to you!

Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jo85

Il def let you know. I had emailed the universities finance department during the week and havnt heard anything back yet. It's so frustrating. I'm currently working at the moment and i would need a few years to save up enough money. And by then il be into my thirties. It's very frustrating! If we go to England do we pay the full £9000 a year for the 4 or 5 years that we would be there? Whats your background do u mind me asking? I got a 2.2 so can't apply graduate medicine, just mature route for Southern Ireland unis. Think some English unis will take a 2.2 tho. Just don't know whether il ever make it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Same as you - 2:2 Arts degree though!
    Two schools in U.K. Will take us as grads, Nottingham and St Georges London. But as you said we are liable for the full 9000 a year (plus living costs as we wouldn be able to hold down a job with courseload)
    You have to sit the GAMSAT to be eligible to apply as a grad to these universities.

In ROI you have to sit the HPAT (Ireland not Ulster) and apply that way as a mature student.
    I feel your pain, I'm 26 now and still no more further forward because of funding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement