Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utility bill setup / transfer

Options
  • 07-03-2012 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

I just recently moved into a new apartment (2 months ago), when we moved in I gave the landlord my details and he fired them off to the ESB to setup an account in my name. In the mean time bills were coming in from Airtricity in the previous tenants name, I left them with the concierge as they weren't for me.

Skip ahead to yesterday, I rang the landlord as I hadn't received anything from the ESB, I also told him about these Airtricity bills coming in the name on them and that I was leaving them with the concierge as they were in a previous tenants name. He got onto the ESB, while they acknowledged they'd received my details they never acted on it as new policy introduced in January dictates that the tentant must now make contact to setup a new account.

The landlord suggested I just go get a new meter reading and call the ESB myself to setup an account. So I got that done today but one of the conditions of switching back / one of the reasons you can't switch back is if the current account is in arrears.

What's going to happen with this outstanding debt with Airtricity?
    Who's liable for that?
    My landlord said it's the previoius tenant who's responsible as he should have informed Airtricity he was moving out. If that's right, great if not what should I do? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pawnacide

If you now have an account with Airtricity it shouldn't be in arrears. The last tenant is liable for their own account.

Has Airtricity or ESB said you can't switch or are you just presuming you can't ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Airtricity are an absolute nightmare to deal with when it comes to this stuff.

When I was previously renting a property they refused to acknowledge the fact that I didn't owe them the previous three months of the bill despite the fact that I wasn't even living there at the time.

When I finally did set up the account in my name and was assured and reassured by customer support that the bill would start from scratch the outstanding amount was put onto my account.

I never did get that sorted out with them at all, and like you I couldn't switch to the ESB. The customer service in that place is so good you'd swear it was run by UPC.

*edit*

I guess you might be wondering why I bothered to post the above at all, I don't mean to have a rant but start making a record of every single person you talk to and every time you've called starting from now and be prepared for a fight.

If all else fails ask them for a copy of your information under the data protection act... that usually gives them a kick up the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

pawnacide wrote: »
    If you now have an account with Airtricity it shouldn't be in arrears. The last tenant is liable for their own account.

Has Airtricity or ESB said you can't switch or are you just presuming you can't ?

I'm just curious if it'll swap over, I don't know if it'll work yet, same address but different account holder I wonder...

I have the meter reading from when I signed the lease and that one I got yesterday. I've no problem paying for the time I've spent here but I'm not paying someone elses debts!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

azezil, did you complete the sign up with ESB? There is a debt-flagging practice among electricity suppliers if arrears are over a certain amount (e250 arrears for over 60days). This is in place to stop customers debt-hopping.

If ESB can't take you over (call ESB to check the status of your sign up), I would give Airtricity a call and tell them you moved in on x date and have a lease to prove it. They can't argue with that. If arrears are racking up with Airtricity and no action is taken, you'll be disconnected and that'll cost you a few quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Strange, I just started an almost dentical post today. It doesn't make sense to me that if the previous tenant did not change the name back, that you should be tied into their provider as well as having to sort out the problem of the debt owing. I feel a complaint to CER coming on.

Antoin in my case suggested immediately contacting esb to change back to them as soon as the bill is transferred. I've no great gra for esb, but as I've no previous relationship with Airtricity, the obscene deposit wipes out about 4 years savings in one go.

• Advertisement

dead air wrote: »
    azezil, did you complete the sign up with ESB? There is a debt-flagging practice among electricity suppliers if arrears are over a certain amount (e250 arrears for over 60days). This is in place to stop customers debt-hopping.

If ESB can't take you over (call ESB to check the status of your sign up), I would give Airtricity a call and tell them you moved in on x date and have a lease to prove it. They can't argue with that. If arrears are racking up with Airtricity and no action is taken, you'll be disconnected and that'll cost you a few quid!

I did it all over the phone, the woman I was speaking too read out the Ts&Cs and said I'd receive the welcome pack within 2 weeks. I signed up for direct debit, e-billing and with the switch back she said they'll guarntee an 11% discount (in total) until March 31st 2013.

I'm a new customer, the landlord said he never uses Airtricity as they're in his words "theifing cúnts", so the previous tenant setup that themselves then failed to inform them he was moving out. Can I even pay that bill now if I wanted to?

I have the meter reading from when I moved in and the new reading which I supplied to the ESB, now if Airtricity want to charge me for that usage they're welcome to do so but I'm not paying anything else to them as I've never signed up to their service.

shoegirl wrote: »
    Strange, I just started an almost dentical post today. It doesn't make sense to me that if the previous tenant did not change the name back, that you should be tied into their provider as well as having to sort out the problem of the debt owing. I feel a complaint to CER coming on.

Antoin in my case suggested immediately contacting esb to change back to them as soon as the bill is transferred. I've no great gra for esb, but as I've no previous relationship with Airtricity, the obscene deposit wipes out about 4 years savings in one go.

Hi showgirl, I just read your own thread. Previous tenant can only close their account and as per data protection laws they can't just "change the name back" or sign up a new account on behalf of a landlord or new tenant. When the tenant closes their account, the elec or gas supply stays with the current supplier. These are the market rules and the CER will only confirm this.

You're liable for the electricity consumption from the date you move in. As Airtricity were/are the current suppliers from when you moved in, you are liable to pay the charges to Airtricity. ESB can't backdate your move in date if they are not the current suppliers.

It's unfair to call out Airtricity for their deposit requirements when its almost identical to the other suppliers. You just paid €300 deposit with Bord Gais for gas supply due to no previous relationship with that company. You should consider setting up both gas/elec with the same company as you'll benefit from dual fuel discounts. If ESB do not require a deposit from you, it makes financial sense to switch your gas to ESB and get your €300 back from Bord Gais. Or keep elec with Airtricity and switch gas to them and pay a lower €200 deposit.

azezil wrote: »
    I did it all over the phone, the woman I was speaking too read out the Ts&Cs and said I'd receive the welcome pack within 2 weeks. I signed up for direct debit, e-billing and with the switch back she said they'll guarntee an 11% discount (in total) until March 31st 2013.

I'm a new customer, the landlord said he never uses Airtricity as they're in his words "theifing cúnts", so the previous tenant setup that themselves then failed to inform them he was moving out. Can I even pay that bill now if I wanted to?

I have the meter reading from when I moved in and the new reading which I supplied to the ESB, now if Airtricity want to charge me for that usage they're welcome to do so but I'm not paying anything else to them as I've never signed up to their service.

If the previous tenant didn't tell Airtricity he didn't move out, he'll be billed up to the date you signed up with ESB (assuming the switch is allowed). You could call Airtricity and tell them your move in date and meter read and they could bill you from your move in date up to the day you start with ESB.

I'd still give ESB a call later this week to ensure the switch is going through ok, if not you need to get on to Airtricity to open an ac with them first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi azezil,
    azezil wrote:
    What's going to happen with this outstanding debt with Airtricity?
    Who's liable for that?

You would only be liable for an outstanding amount if the account was in your own name at the time, so from what you say above, this shouldn't be a problem.

I can, if you like, check the progress of the switch to ensure all is in order. I would just need the following details by PM:
    • Your full name and the address in question
    • Your contact number and date of birth for account security
    Thanks,

David.

(p.s. thanks to pawnacide, Achilles, dead air and shoegirl for the input :))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hi azezil,

You would only be liable for an outstanding amount if the account was in your own name at the time, so from what you say above, this shouldn't be a problem.

I can, if you like, check the progress of the switch to ensure all is in order. I would just need the following details by PM:
    Thanks,

David.

I have to say I've never had any issues with ESB's customer service, infact the fact that you're willing to sort out issues via boards, Twitter et all means I don't have to wait an age for support and it can be done on my own time.

My experience of ESB's customer service has been second to none which is in stark contrast to my experiences with Airtricity.

No I don't work for them, I'm just a fan of good customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Thanks a million Achilles, I'm a big fan of people who go the extra mile themselves and give such kind feedback! :)

Hi azezil,

Thanks,

David.

That'd be great, cheers. I'll pm you my details now. Thanks very much :)

Advertisement