Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pale malt?

Options
  • 07-03-2012 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi, I'm pretty new to this but I got a starter kit with equipment as a present recently and it turned out really well. Currently drinking my way through a pale ale and enjoying it! I really want to try a belgian wit beer and am considering trying a partial mash. I can locate most of the ingredients I'm after but the recipe calls for a Pale Malt. Would this go under any other name? Is crystal or caramalt a pale malt? Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

CaraMalt would probably do, but it doesn't need mashing, nor does crystal. The recipe probably means something like Maris Otter.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Thanks for the quick reply, the place I'm ordering from is out of stock of the wheat DME, would the liquid extract make much of a difference?

Dry is better, but if you can't get it give the liquid a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

kellso81 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply, the place I'm ordering from is out of stock of the wheat DME, would the liquid extract make much of a difference?

and it actual a 50:50 malted barley :wheat mix so you can use a 100% in your brew

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Belgian Wit beers use a different form of wheat to bavarian Weiss, might be terrified or flaked wheat

• Advertisement

Belgian Wit beers use a different form of wheat to bavarian Weiss, might be terrified or flaked wheat

torrified wheat ;)

but since he/she is using a proportion of extract "DME" its malted wheat that goes into it. But they can of course use a from of un malted wheat in the partial mash

It gets ripped out of the ground, has its reproductive organs torn off, and is then crushed and boiled: I think Carawaystick was right the first time :P

BeerNut wrote: »
    It gets ripped out of the ground, has its reproductive organs torn off, and is then crushed and boiled: I think Carawaystick was right the first time :P

Also slowly roasted for hours on end :eek:

Advertisement