Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice pubs close to O'Connell St

Options
  • 07-03-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Can anyone recommend a nice pub in and around O'Connell St for a few midweek drinks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I used to frequent Grand Central on O'Connell st.

its grand and, ye know, central...

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Yeah the Grand Central is the place to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Feck the Grand Central. Have a pint in the Sackville Lounge instead. It's on Sackville Place

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Messrs Maguire has a really good pale ale on the seasonal tap at the moment. Only €4 a pint too. And buy-one-get-one-free if you use FourSquare, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Walk across O'Connell Bridge, Southside and just on the corner of Temple Bar area is THE Palace.

Not to be confused with the nightclub on Camden St;)

Great Guinness. Great bar.

http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/palacebar.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

BeerNut wrote: »
    Messrs Maguire has a really good pale ale on the seasonal tap at the moment. Only €4 a pint too. And buy-one-get-one-free if you use FourSquare, apparently.

What is FourSqaure BeerNut please? If its buy one get one free i'm going there now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FrankieChoo

Messrs and try the home brews..they have won plenty of awards

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Feck the Grand Central. Have a pint in the Sackville Lounge instead. It's on Sackville Place

They never have the TV off in that place! There's no getting away from sports at top volume, even if nobody's watching it. Oh, the barman is! :mad:

I'd like it except for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

The Oval on Abbey st, just down from Easons side entrance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The Flowing Tide. 9 Lower Abbey St.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

There's a new gastro pub on Parnell Street - haven't tried it yet myself, but supposed to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

ckeego wrote: »
    Walk across O'Connell Bridge, Southside and just on the corner of Temple Bar area is THE Palace.

Not to be confused with the nightclub on Camden St;)

Great Guinness. Great bar.

http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/palacebar.html

Dirty bastard of a barman tried to short change me in here one evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

FensterDJ wrote: »
    The Oval on Abbey st, just down from Easons side entrance

+1

And they do a nice Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cassidy's on Westmoreland Street, just over the bridge on the left hand side.

Fibbers on Parnell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Thing about the palace and oval is they're small and usually jammed packed.

The lotts is close enough and a nice bar. Some people think the church is worth a go too.

Theres that new place on westmoreland street, or bowes on fleet street, good few independent draughts/bottles in bowes

Bambi wrote: »
    Some people think the church is worth a go too.

People who like overpriced beer think the church is worth a go.

Avoid at all costs.

Des wrote: »

Avoid at all costs.

When I say some people, I mean " some people who aren't me" :pac:

Was only there twice and I didn't like the place, other than the swanky bathroom area.

Actually I wouldn't rate the grand central either. Depends on what kind of boozer you're into I guess OP.

Thing about the palace and oval is they're small and usually jammed packed.

I was in there last Saturday afternoon for a pint and it was suprisingly quiet. I have been in it when its packed, around Christmas especially, but as long as there isnt anything big on sky sports, you should be alright.

• Advertisement

Gin Palace on Liffey Street.

Black Sheep on Capel Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Avoid at all costs.

Fully endorsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Gin Palace on Liffey Street.

Black Sheep on Capel Street.

The Black Sheep is a sister outlet to Against the Grain, yeah? It's a bit 'wax museum with a pulse' kind of place. It's devoid of character in my opinion. Maybe that's because it's quite a new place and hasn't found it's type of clientele yet.

I find those outlets to be quite pricey, regardless of their craft beer offerings. L Mulligan Grocer do all that Against the Grain/Black Sheep do, and more, and are much cheaper. Sorry to go off the point there:pac:.

I'd plum for maybe The Pint on Eden Quay just off O'Connell Street, Bowe's, or Cassidy's as already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Feardorca

Kleenex wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a nice pub in and around O'Connell St for a few midweek drinks?

O'Connells Bar Lounge & Restaurant just around the corner on Bachelors walk 25m from the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Madigans is a nice meeting point most of the time. Especially if you plan on going to the Savoy afterwards :D

du Maurier wrote: »
    The Black Sheep is a sister outlet to Against the Grain, yeah? It's a bit 'wax museum with a pulse' kind of place. It's devoid of character in my opinion. Maybe that's because it's quite a new place and hasn't found it's type of clientele yet.

I find those outlets to be quite pricey, regardless of their craft beer offerings. L Mulligan Grocer do all that Against the Grain/Black Sheep do, and more, and are much cheaper. Sorry to go off the point there:pac:.

I'd plum for maybe The Pint on Eden Quay just off O'Connell Street, Bowe's, or Cassidy's as already mentioned.

Whats the pint like? Always looked like a kip to me. Though I note that they're doing gigs now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Whats the pint like? Always looked like a kip to me. Though I note that they're doing gigs now.

Like a poor man's fibbers..or a rich man's.

Two levels and a good beer garden.

Pretty good crowd at the weekend and always gigs on too..mostly metal or rock with the occasional trad session.

The only thing that ruins it for me is the price..it rises substantially from 4 quid to nearly a fiver from 9pm...a bit of a pisstake seeing O'reillys across the river do all pints for 3.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Mulligans on poolbeg street. 3 minute walk from O'Connell street. Proper old skool pub with the best Guinness ive ever tasted.

The guinness is indeed great in Mulligans, but I also thought their Heineken was well above the standard as well

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Mulligans on poolbeg street. 3 minute walk from O'Connell street. Proper old skool pub with the best Guinness ive ever tasted.

Nice guinness but noisy and full of tossers.

Advertisement