Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Launches 30mb Metro Service.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Nova Networks in Cork (FWA operator) does a pretty reasonable thing with caps. They're daily rather than monthly.

You've a 20mbit/s link on their top pack, with 10GB daily cap - roughly 300GB/month.

That way it does kind of keep insane down-loaders or file sharers off the network, which would swamp wireless stuff more than cable, but it still gives you a pretty nice possible throughput which is kinda geared up for Netflix and all that stuff.

I wonder now that Digiweb have launched 30mbit/s will Nova Networks out-do them... They're both on air in Cork City.

Most of the FWA networks are not THAT contended btw. They have loads of fibre-to-mast sites. So, the backhaul's not entirely wireless and the over-the-air protocols being used are far superior to 3G, but they're not suitable for moving objects like mobiles and require a fixed antenna. Hence, they're only fixed line replacement services, not mobile. The benefit being the signal's solid once it's setup.

The main reason that some of the 3G mobile networks are painfully slow with bad pings is because they, far too often, still rely on bouncing signals from tower to tower, rather than having any local fibre backhaul.

You'll really notice the difference between a network that has plenty of fibre and one that doesn't as your ping times will be shot to hell even if you've got full HSPA coverage.

You'll find it happens with different networks more so in some areas than others as their networks aren't 100% uniformly developed and different areas are in different stages of upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paulclan

nks Solair particularly, and everybody else for explaining all the guff about 30GB wireless offers.
    Seems Netflix is out, and my new telly and blue ray wireless player will still need a video shop for some time to come!
    We are truly mired up in Ballinclea Road, Killliney, with decrepit Eircom landlines overcontended in the evenings, bad lines of sight for wireless Breeze 4MB and WI-Max said to be marginal.Between Fog and leaves appearing on trees in springtime,twittering is only for the birds!!(i.e damp leaves seem kiss of death for wireless)
    Perhaps Eircom will be rescued and spend the money on some Fibre.

My friends in Andorra, a very small mountainous country in the Pyrenees have just had their fibre installed to the apartment!Bah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Upgraded from the home (8MB) to the Express (30MB) last week.
    Download speeds in general have risen from 7MB to 12-14MB.
    Latency/Jitter about the same as before (good).

I am about 8km from the mast though.
    Anyone that far away getting better rates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Am getting just over 20mb for the last couple of days, I have noticed a difference when browsing, especially any graphic heavy sites, AH:YLYL especially!! :) and The Chive ;) to name but a few. Ping is down to 15ms so that's great for BF3 and CSS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    just rang them there and i can only get 2mb,,,,internet in the country is pissing me off

Rossi IRL. Where in the country are you, as Metro has a reasonable good coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Simi wrote: »
    Are you honestly saying you wouldn't prefer say, a doubling of your download allowance to the increased speed?

If you can only download an average of 2gb a day then your not going to be doing a whole lot of downloading now, are you? You won't get to experience this faster downloading very often or for very long.

The increased speed won't make any difference to gaming or how fast web pages load. It will improve streaming video, but i wouldn't be doing a whole lot of that if I had to worry about a 60gb rolling monthly cap.

It's nice that a provider has increased the speed on their top tier product, but in the absence of a cap increase it's meaningless.

I know Digiweb currently lack the resources to significantly increase the size of their customers caps, but it's an issue that left unaddressed will quickly see them become irrelevant as a provider in the coming years.

Offering a modest increase in cap size rather than a superficial increase in download speed would be far more beneficial to existing (and new) customers. But genuine improvements in service don't grab the attention of potential customers, pointlessly high download speeds do.

I would love a connection that fast i'm not saying that Digiweb's cap is fair on the 30Mb service as it's not, the cap is really low and for such a fast service as you said you would eat into that 60GB quite quick.

I was just pointing out that Digiweb's excuse for low caps is that FWA can't handle alot of users with higher caps this is BS of course tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

yous all need to take time out to read the info thats provided for you on digiwebs website, the 30mb package comes with a 100gb a month download limit not a 60gb one as thats for the 8mb package, all is CLEARLY stated on their website :D

metrou.png

anyway speeds with digiweb where always good for me, will defo be going back to them now they have faster speeds

this was my 8/1mb metro

1399948981.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

dazdrog wrote: »
    yous all need to take time out to read the info thats provided for you on digiwebs website, the 30mb package comes with a 100gb a month download limit not a 60gb one as thats for the 8mb package, all is CLEARLY stated on their website :D

:confused:
    Clearly they have changed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

dazdrog wrote: »

metrou.png

anyway speeds with digiweb where always good for me, will defo be going back to them now they have faster speeds

this was my 8/1mb metro

1399948981.png
    This was changed just this week.
    See [this post].

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

cunnijo wrote: »
    Rossi IRL. Where in the country are you, as Metro has a reasonable good coverage.

laois.. 3 towns , west,,south and east of me about 5km each way can all get it but i cant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

Are Digiweb still using the rolling day cap on the metro version?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

Are Digiweb still using the rolling day cap on the metro version?

30 day rolling cap, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭nilhg

Anyone got a map/list of the locations of the Metro masts? Coverage doesn't seem to have increased at all over the last few years in this area at least.

I live about a mile from the comms mast on Dunmurry Hill (just off the N7/8, near the Curragh) UPC have been on it with MMDS TV right since their Horizon days but no one has ever run good quality FWA from there, despite the area being poorly enough served with DSL and having a large number of studs/mini studs/expensive commuter homes.

My understanding was that Eircom did a sale and lease back arrangement on the masts during one of the asset stripping exercises, it's would be surprising if the new owners had agreed to limit access for competitors to Eircom but I suppose anything is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

just off the phone to a digiweb rep now, the 30mb service wont be available until june or july in the drogheda area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

What's the difference between http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/metro/ and http://www.digiweb.ie/home/bundles/metro-bundle/index.html ?

It seems odd that they are the same price monthly yet one has cheaper calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

One has no phone plane included, one has free Uk and Free Local & National Calls Off peak and one has Uk and Free Local & National Calls anytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

nilhg wrote: »
    Anyone got a map/list of the locations of the Metro masts? Coverage doesn't seem to have increased at all over the last few years in this area at least.

I live about a mile from the comms mast on Dunmurry Hill (just off the N7/8, near the Curragh) UPC have been on it with MMDS TV right since their Horizon days but no one has ever run good quality FWA from there, despite the area being poorly enough served with DSL and having a large number of studs/mini studs/expensive commuter homes.

My understanding was that Eircom did a sale and lease back arrangement on the masts during one of the asset stripping exercises, it's would be surprising if the new owners had agreed to limit access for competitors to Eircom but I suppose anything is possible.

Because even since Towercom took over the towers from Eircom you still have to hand over a lung to put equipment on them. i.e too dear for the majority of FWA operators

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

I can't get it even though i only live 8 miles outside my local city. So frustrating.

There should be a broadband tax instead of a household tax. A tax that will help bring cable and fibre broadband to rural areas.

People will gladly pay a tax which benefits local communities in rural areas would they not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    I can't get it even though i only live 8 miles outside my local city. So frustrating.

There should be a broadband tax instead of a household tax. A tax that will help bring cable and fibre broadband to rural areas.

People will gladly pay a tax which benefits local communities in rural areas would they not?

Have you line of site to their tower? What city are you outside? That distance should be doable if you have LOS.

LOS is a bit of a bitch sometimes, can't get metro cause there's a bloomin tree in the way!

and I'd happily pay a broadband tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

-=al=- wrote: »
    LOS is a bit of a bitch sometimes, can't get metro cause there's a bloomin tree in the way!

and I'd happily pay a broadband tax

There's been a new invention recently that should help with problems like yours.

201243.jpg

:pac:

I couldn't be trusted with a chainsaw :pac:

Ah it's a bunch of trees in the neighbours place cross the way, wouldn't mind but it's the only possible place for something to be in the way there's no other obstructions in any other directions

ah well

Advertisement