Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mounds, Standing Stones etc on your land

• 07-03-2012 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Right lads, there are a few mounds, standing stones, ring ditches etc on some land that I'd like to see. Whats the deal with members of the public viewing these?

Basically I want to take a few pictures etc do I have a "right" to view these historical curiosities or is it up to the land owner? How would I go about finding who owns the land? Some of these things are fairly out of the way.

I was tempted to just go hop the fence (if there was no livestock) and take a look but I doubt the landowner would be too pleased.

You can find the locations of these type of things on the National Monument Service's map.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Right lads, there are a few mounds, standing stones, ring ditches etc on some land that I'd like to see. Whats the deal with members of the public viewing these?

Basically I want to take a few pictures etc do I have a "right" to view these historical curiosities or is it up to the land owner? How would I go about finding who owns the land? Some of these things are fairly out of the way.

I was tempted to just go hop the fence (if there was no livestock) and take a look but I doubt the landowner would be too pleased.

You can find the locations of these type of things on the National Monument Service's map.

Please find out who the landowner is...
    It shows respect and your less likely to get a load of grief... I know anyone trespassing round here gets the road ASAP.. Remember if you were to be injured as you "hop the fence" the farmer might be liable for your injuries..

Compare it to climbing over a fence into a factory yard just to take a look round and maybe some photos...

Call in to the closest farmyard/house to the objects of your curiosity and ask.. I bet you will be steered to the owner, people know who owns the land round them...

Please do it right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Pike in the Thatch

Yeah thats what I'll do but I was just curious if they have a right to refuse to let people look at these things.

I know they may own the land but I think things which are part of our national heritage should be open to viewing by all, I mean whats the point in protecting these sites if people aren't allowed see them?

In England you have to let people see these type of things afaik (Location, Location Location, couple looked at a house which was a converted Church and they were told they would have to by law let people in to look at old carvings or something)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Yeah thats what I'll do but I was just curious if they have a right to refuse to let people look at these things.

I know they may own the land but I think things which are part of our national heritage should be open to viewing by all, I mean whats the point in protecting these sites if people aren't allowed see them?

In England you have to let people see these type of things afaik (Location, Location Location, couple looked at a house which was a converted Church and they were told they would have to by law let people in to look at old carvings or something)

It's different here.. unless someone can comment otherwise..
    The land is privately owned and access without the express consent of the owner is trespass plane and simple..
    The point of protecting them ?? Obviously to protect them for the future and protect them from either the land owner or trespassers damaging them..

You can't just nip in, lift the Book of Kells and thumb through the pages, yet there is very good reason to protect it as part of our heritage.
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

i thought that there was some new rule that the land owner was no longer liable if some one got hurt while on their land. how would that work in a situation like the above or does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

We have those standing stones at our lands ¨the cattle scratchers¨ i call them, PM me if you want the location and history to them, you are welcome to come visit them anytime that you wish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Yes they do have the right to refuse you access in most cases. Best to ask the landowner if you could just take a look, and even better ask him/her if they can tell you any of the history or stories associated with the monument.

Advertisement