Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running the ball

• 07-03-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

I think offense should be split into to two categories. Running the ball is so important in Madden 12. So this the Running thread, any questions , queries, quandary's post up here at get a answer !

E.G

A good run against a human player but poor to use against a CPU controlled team.

The Draw

Against a human the Draw can be deadly. If used correctly if your in a 2nd and long or a 3 and long a good draw play can go for 10+ yards easy. 3 and medium it can be effective as well especially if you come out in a formation you use a lot for passing play's.

If you the opponent lined up in Dime/Quarter they will only have 3 to 5 people rushing the ball. In that case if the running back gets by the initial 3 to 5 man rush your lucking at a minimum 10 yard run.

Against the computer the Draw play is broken. It more than likely be stuffed at the line or a loss of yards .

Questions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Think I'll keep my secrets on running the ball to myself :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well similar to the pass, read the defense and run accordingly. I think everyone needs to have an outside run (HB Strech or similar) in their audibles and if your opponent is crowding the middles the outside is sometimes wide open.

Let your blocks happen, look at who is supposed to block for you and let them make the blocks, a lot of players charge full speed with the HB and miss out on some bigger gains.

Try a load of running plays to see what works for you, there are dozens of runs in every playbook so don't just run the same 2 or 3 plays.

Use FB dive in 3rd and short situations to mix things up a bit.

Also the "Turbo Backfield" optio will put 2 FB's in your backfield for goalline and 3rd or 4th and short plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

If there's one thing I can speak with authority on, it's running the ball. A good idea is to give it to the fullback a lot. Seldom do you lose yards on these runs and if your FB has any pace he can break off big runs. When around the goalline a good play to call is the toss out of a 3TE 2RB set. If they put 11 guys in the box unless your back is slow it's almost a guaranteed score. If they spread the defense out a little, then simply audible to running it up the middle and you should score. If you're playing against a hardnosed defense (like the 49ers) avoid the toss outside of your opponents 10, because fumbles are very frequent. As for general running of the ball, make a lot of cuts. The plays which I score big TD runs on the run never goes where it's meant to go. Watch out for gaps opening in the line and turn into these. A good trick is when on outside runs and there's 1/2 defensive backs following you outside and eluding 1/2 FB/TE of yours, cut to inside the FB/TE and it's a big gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

matthew8 wrote: »
    A good idea is to give it to the fullback a lot.

Ohh giving to the fullback, one of my pet hates :P I think the key with running plays is to stick with it. Just because you only get 2 or 3 yards for the first 7 attempts it doesn't mean that later on in the game you won't get a couple of huge gainers :D And once you have the defense blitzing and committing more to the run you can try a few of those quick short to medium passes and work your way up the field slowly but surely ;) Or if the run is working stick with it!

Being a Falcons fan, I always prefer to run :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

I have been guilty of abandoning the run too soon. Not a good idea. If it's not going well in the first half, you still need to run in the second or you will end up forcing a pass and throw a pick.

Keep running.

I lost Tomlinson last year to a broken collarbone (not suprising) and was left with LenDale White and Pierre Thomas. Not great options and I was getting stuff in my first few games post LT. But sticking with it I had Thomas rushing for 100 yards a game by the end of the year. Even managed 80+ yards against Berty with him, although I think Berty was making Tea for the 4th quarter as he was 30 odd points ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I have a query:

On another franchise I have an elite LT but an average RT. I base my game on running, and considering running to the left rarely happens, is it worth moving my LT to RT to improve that side of the O-Line, or is it better for your team to just use players in their natural positions?

Cheers lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Flip the play Paully (using RT button)

Advertisement