Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing the Pigskin

Options
  • 07-03-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Don't ask me I've had Tim Tebow for to long :pac:

Anyone got any questions ? Hopefully people who are pass happy teams will try answer your questions or put up scenarios for us .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Never take a sack
    Throwing the ball away is the cowards option
    Always force the ball into ridiclouly tight windows
    Your opponent is disrespecting you if they only have double coverage, you must attempt to beat this

Just look at me, I'm joint top of the AFC North :cool:
    These tactics work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

1. Try as best you can to figure out if the defence is in man or zone ( look up YouTube to see how ).

2. Try and use a pass that has the highest chance of success against the defence.

3. Practice your passing plays in Practice Mode against random defences or on friendlies.

4. Don't be afraid to throw the ball away by pressing Right Stick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Completions are more awesome when you force them into triple coverage.!!

Know your play book then build your WR Corps around that playbook. No point in drafting speedy guys with a terrible catch and catch in traffic if your mostly going to send them against double coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Have a check down option and if the pass you wanted to make isn't available don't try force it.

Normally it's better to take a sack than press a random button in panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

This season, with the acquisition of Reggie Wayne, I've made my Packers a bit more pass orientated. My tips would be:

1. Read the defense: As Berty says, check to see if they're in man or zone, more important see if there's any blitzes looking likely, if there is, audible to a quick pass or a run away from the blitz.

2. Go through your Reads: Never, ever just look down one receiver. It can be hugely difficult to pass the ball if you only look at one player, you've got to progress through at least 3 players and if no one is still on and you haven't been sacked, look to give yourself more time if you can, or just throw the ball away.

3. Hot Routes: Remember that you can change the route one player is going to run. If you see pressure coming from the right hand side, leave your Tight End into block which can give you more time to pass and usually you pick up big gains from this.

4. If you think there's a blitz coming, DON'T Play Action: You will be sacked for massive yards. Don't do it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Set your Audibles, read the defense and audible to the appropriate play,

Your audibles should include (well this is what I have)

An outside Run
    A short pass
    An inside run of some description
    A Screen Pass
    A Deep Pass Play

you also have the default or formation audibles but it's good to have your own set and ready to go.
    And what ever else takes your fancy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lads, can you pre-select your audibles instead of taking the Madden defaults?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Lads, can you pre-select your audibles instead of taking the Madden defaults?

Yes, so if you use the Titans playbook you can go into options in the main screen and change the offensive and defensive audibles for your team in offline/online games

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cheers dave.. i shall be tinkering!

What :eek:

I never knew that!!!

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    What :eek:

I never knew that!!!

:rolleyes: and you a Superbowl champ

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Also think about using different packages, If running a draw play maybe use "TE Slot" which puts your TE in the slot instead of your 3rd receiver, your TE should be a better blocker than your receiver.

If your opponent has 2 great CB's and is average from there call plays with 3 WR's and select "WR Strong Slot" This will put your top guy in the slot where hopefully he will match up against your opponents weakest CB.

There are ways around this on the defensive side of the ball but this thread is all about passing.

I agree with the above on hot routes, if you notice your opponent doesn't have any safties deep you cqan send your speedy wideout on a streak route and if he beats the CB you'll have a good shot at a big gain (assumiong your QB doesn't get sacked!!)

:rolleyes: and you a Superbowl champ

That's how good I am :cool:

But in all seriousness, this is going to help me hugely!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

One important coverage to read is how the opposition DB's are lined up. Are they in press or are they backed off.

If they are pressed then have at least one player on the outside going for a streak since if they get a release it will always be 1v1 vs the safety.

If it's continuously back off then start throwing in swing and screen passes or draw plays to the outside. He's offering you yards it would be rude not to take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Raoul

SantryRed wrote: »
    That's how good I am :cool:

But in all seriousness, this is going to help me hugely!

Cheers DAVE!! FFS. :pac:

I actually only found this out a few weeks ago. Really handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I can't pass for my life in the franchise but I always air it out in friendlies. I notice that if your WR is running a streak route and you press to throw it to them the ball won't go near as far or as accurate as it should be but if you take one step up (as in pass it while taking the step) even QBs like Grossman and Palmer can (and will) make great accurate deep throws.

Sorry if this is obvious to everyone.

So on my own franchise with (for the most part) the team i have in the boards league. My throwing is excellent.
    Finley is the top TE for yards and 3rd for TDs with Jahvid Best 5th for yards.

McNabb while having a lot of ints, still has about 7% higher completion ratio on my own franchise.

My big issue is not letting the WRs run their routes and throwing to early, my passes were either over shooting the receiver or getting intercepted.

Also I realised I was using the same 2/3 passing plays (this is the same in the boards league) and getting predictable.

I was 2-6, I decided to be patient and let my guys run their routes... it's had great consequences.
    The Texans walked the AFC south, I came in with 8-8 record with 2 other teams, so i presume by some fancy tie breaking technicality I got through

Played the Texans in the Wild Card and beat them fairly easily, then the Pats who I needed OT to beat.

So onto the conference championship and then hopefully the Super Bowl :D
    will be quite the come back!

Played my first game in the IG franchise with Rivers at QB, my O-line is much better stats wise but couldnt run the ball at all.

Rivers passed for over 300 yards with 4 TDs but 3 ints.

Sorry to break up the trade talks but a question.
    the higher placed a WR on your depth chart the further away he'll be from your QB when he lines up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Sorry to break up the trade talks but a question.
    the higher placed a WR on your depth chart the further away he'll be from your QB when he lines up?

I assume it depends on the play. There is a strong slot package in most formations which is great for getting your top recievers nearer the QB.

• Advertisement

Yeah strong slot will stick your best guy in the slot and WR swap will switch sides of your top receiver, handy if youre tryinh to avoid a particular CB.

normal will leave your top guy on the right (usually) and the second best guy on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

At what point is a short throw a medium throw, and at what point is a medium throw a deep throw? I'm wondering because of accuracy attributes.

the reason i'm asking is another franchise i'm in.
    I have a elite WR but frankly I dont trust my QB (Matt Ryan) to be accurate enough sending a deep throw.
    However if i can have my TE and best WR lined up close i'll probably throw it a lot more and hopefully be more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

I disagree, Matt Ryan is quite good at the deep throw, i have utilized it quite a lot and now his deep throw accuracy is 86! Trustworthy!

Shane.C wrote: »
    I disagree, Matt Ryan is quite good at the deep throw, i have utilized it quite a lot and now his deep throw accuracy is 86! Trustworthy!

I'm currently using McNabb (78) so you can see where i have a lot of trust issues!
    Also doesnt help that my WRs are pretty small.
    But with 2 TEs and a tall WR and now Schaub for this franchise i can hopefully go deep a bit more

Another massive factor in passing is " Player performance" I have Kyle Orton in both the BFL and the IG franchise. If i throw a pick early, his accuracy his power all seem to go down. If i dont do it he plays great, if i throw an interceptions after the half theres still a drop off in his quality .

So with quarterbacks from 78-85 throwing picks lowers there effectiveness as an accurate passerr

Drafted my players for my own franchise this morning, schaub has impressed me, in the first game he completed 17 passes in a row with finley getting 3tds :) he's thrown 5 ints but 3 of them when the games were beyond doubt.

Slightly off topic but MJD is a beast!!

Advertisement