Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs for twins

Options
  • 07-03-2012 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I think i'm having twins. My last period was Feb. 7 and I took a pregnacy test March 5 and it came up positive, visit to my gp confirmed it. I hear that having more than one baby can up the hormons and make a test come out positive before you're missed period, is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The only way to diagnose a twin pregnancy is by picking up two heartbeats on a doppler or on an ultrasound. Hormones will not detect a twin pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I got a positive result on my test 4 days before my period was due but there's only one baby in there :-)
    An utlrasound really is the only way to be sure.
    Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

maybetwins wrote: »
    I think i'm having twins. My last period was Feb. 7 and I took a pregnacy test March 5 and it came up positive, visit to my gp confirmed it. I hear that having more than one baby can up the hormons and make a test come out positive before you're missed period, is this true?

I'd say there is no way of telling for sure via hormones. Only way is the heartbeats on an early ultrasound, or waiting until a doppler can pick up sound.

On this pregnancy I initally conceived twins and I had no pregnancy symptoms, in fact I was full sure that my period was on the way when I tested on my due date and to my surprise had a positive.

My clearblue digi which measures the hormones gave me the correct time frame of 2-3 weeks when I tested. The first clue I had of twins was at my TV ultrasound at 7+4, when two heartbeats were found. Subsequent scans showed I had a MMC on one twin.

Book an early ultrasound if you can, and congratulations on your pregnancy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

I had twins. One indicator (before scan) is your HCG levels, some GP;s will do a blood test to confirm pregnancy & this will show your HCG level which is supposed to double every 2 days (from what I remember) My HCG levels were 3 times what they should have been for that stage of pregnancy. Also I was violently ill from 5 and half weeks pregnant, admitted to hospital at 6 weeks & scan showed 2 babies.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I never got sick at all on my twins. Not even queasy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Lucky You!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

HCG levels can be an indicator but are not conclusive. Some women will have very high HCG for a singleton while others will have "normal" HCG levels for multiples & vice versa :) you will only know for sure with a scan to show two little babies or two heartbeats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I had very high HCG levels and I'm having just one baby! So it definately happens: mine were two and a half times what they should have been at 5 and a half weeks if i remember correctly: all that happened with me was it led to horrendous sickness!

Scan is definately the only way to know for sure.

Also I tested positive 7 days before my missed period: but I kinda knew i was ovulating earlier than "normal" and I already was feeling sick at that stage.

Advertisement