Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Seashores

Options
  • 07-03-2012 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

hey. does any one know any good beaches for collecting razor clams/cockles in the county? Also looking for good beachcombing spots..trying to fill these new days of unemployment!!
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you are looking for particular species then you need to do a bit of research as to what conditions suit them. Cockles & Razors both need fairly deep sand to burrow in. The Coast here has a lot of rock under the sand & the powerful tides/storms shift the sand around.

I walk along my bit of Coast twice a day & the number of shells etc can vary greatly from day to day. There are also the occasional finds like Palm Tree trunks & Coconuts that have crossed the Atlantic from the Caribbean.

Because of the up to 5m tide it makes a big difference when you beachcomb. I use a brilliant mobile app called Mobiletide - it only costs about €6 & gives you accurate tide times for Galway Bay.

Advertisement