Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card chargeback

• 07-03-2012 7:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry clueless about chargebacks.

If you purchased several items worth €2000 and used your credit card to pay €1000 and your laser card for the other €1000, would you still be able to issue a charge back on the item if needed?

Can you request a charge back on the portion that has been paid for by credit card - €1000 euro ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes but only on the item that was paid by Credit card, was the credit card used for part payment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

The charge back will only be successful if the companies bank accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Motorist wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry clueless about chargebacks.

If you purchased several items worth €2000 and used your credit card to pay €1000 and your laser card for the other €1000, would you still be able to issue a charge back on the item if needed?

Can you request a charge back on the portion that has been paid for by credit card - €1000 euro ?

Depends on what you mean by "if needed". A chargeback is mainly for fraudulent or disputed transaction, one example would be an online order which was never delivered and the store will not refund.

But a Split sale (as per your above example) suggest you were in the store and made a purchase. If you later changed your mind and the store (as would be their right) refused to take them back, you would not be able to make a chargeback.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Depends on what you mean by "if needed". A chargeback is mainly for fraudulent or disputed transaction, one example would be an online order which was never delivered and the store will not refund.

But a Split sale (as per your above example) suggest you were in the store and made a purchase. If you later changed your mind and the store (as would be their right) refused to take them back, you would not be able to make a chargeback.

Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't fully clear in my example. I was buying some items from an online company which are in total outside of my credit limit. I going to phone them and put half on my credit card and half on my laser.

I've decided to transfer money onto the credit card and pay for the item in full by credit card, as I'm a little wary of spending a large amount of money with an online retailer who Ive never dealt with before- hence the "if needed". (I've looked up alot of reviews of the company and about 10% of customers seem pretty pi$$ed off with getting wrong goods, no deliveries, etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

For that kinda money, 10% is way too high a figure for my liking....

If it were my money, i'd get scalded. I always get scalded. :( Could you live with it if you do?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

themadchef wrote: »
    For that kinda money, 10% is way too high a figure for my liking....

If it were my money, i'd get scalded. I always get scalded. :( Could you live with it if you do?

Yeah I spent hours researching though, and the company has literally thousands of reviews. They have been in business for a good few years too. If it were 10% and only a handful of reviews, I'd be suspicious that company affiliates had put in the positive reviews and skewed the actual figure.

It seems hit or miss, they do have good prices and I cant afford anymore than they are charging. The drawback is that the customer service is crap. If I get left short an item or get sent the wrong item (as seems to be the risk), there will be peace of mind in knowing that if it's not resolved after a month or two, I at least have the option of applying for a chargeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The charge back will only be successful if the companies bank accept it.

No, the "companies bank" has the right to defend the chargeback, but they don't always win.

Advertisement