Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No claims bonus protection Q

• 07-03-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi All,

We were involved on a collision this morning in which we were proceeding straight at lights when someone turning right crashed into us ... That said it's with the insurance to sort out ...

I am a fully comp driver (and named driver) on my policy with extra no claims bonus protection taken out too ..

So my question is if it comes to it that I have to claim off my own insurance how does the fact that I have no claims bonus protection come into play ?

I have 6 years NCB at the mo and the other party admitted liability to us but not to the insurance so don't know how it will pan out ..

Any help appreciated ...
    Saz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

you should contact your own insurance company and ask them as there are a lot of different options with regard to no claims bonus protection.

in general though if you are not at fault then your own insurance company would generally try to get the money back from the other persons insurance company. if your no claims bonus is protected then generally it wont be impacted either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 sazza

Random wrote: »
    you should contact your own insurance company and ask them as there are a lot of different options with regard to no claims bonus protection.

in general though if you are not at fault then your own insurance company would generally try to get the money back from the other persons insurance company. if your no claims bonus is protected then generally it wont be impacted either way.

Oh I've done nothing else but speak to insurance companies today :) one rep told me it would affect me but then it would when she saw the protection cover then another rep said I still have my NCB but my premium will still go up ..

But if I have a full NCB how can my premium go up ?

She is denying liability so now a big he said she said has started so its wait and see .. Car is written off :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Generally, If you have Full NCB protection your premium should not be affected. If you have step back protection then it will be brought back to position it was 2 years ago and it may affect your premium.

Read through your policy booklet, possibly under the "endorsement" section and check the specifics of the NCB protection.

Generally, If you have Full NCB protection your premium should not be affected. If you have step back protection then it will be brought back to position it was 2 years ago and it may affect your premium.

Read through your policy booklet, possibly under the "endorsement" section and check the specifics of the NCB protection.

Thanks guys that what I thought too but differing tales from the insurers ..

Unfortunately I can't find the actual policy book searched high and low - found the cert papers and all but not the actual policy ..

Will call them again to get a definitive

Thanks for your thoughts anyways ...

Saz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

most insurers will have a copy of their policy booklet online.

• Advertisement

Thanks Random - your right I found the policy (I think it's mine anyways) online and says I can have 2 crashes in any 3 years - first crash maintains no claims second steps me back

Thanks I never even thought to look online my head has been all over the place since the accident

Thanks all for your input :)

Saz

Advertisement