Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left side question?

Options
  • 07-03-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to why it is better to sleep/lie on your left side over your right?
    I have read about it in several places but none have given a reason why it's better :)

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I vaguely remember something about baby/uterus pressing down on the Vena Cava which brings blood to the legs. It can bring on leg cramping (which happened me)

The other one my yoga teacher said was that it encourages baby to lie in the correct position, head down and facing your spine. Dunno how accurate that is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Thanks Neyite,
    I knew there would be a reason but nowhere mentioned what it actually was :) can't stay on left side but I always start out that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Yeah I heard same re positioning baby better but also whatever way veins and arteries are down there, it's slightly better for blood flow to placenta. I was told to "favour the left side" but to be honest you just have to sleep whatever way is comfortable if you're to get any sleep.

I start off on my right and then end up turning to my left just before I drop off but I often wake up on my back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

i have always moved a lot in my sleep, my oh kills me for it, Im trying hard to sleep on my left, Im even putting pillows being my back to keep me that way but the 1st time i wake to pee at night the pillows are on the floor and i am on my right,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Early into my first preg I found myself sleeping on my belly...only time in my life I've ever slept on my belly :rolleyes:

On my second preg I absolutely could not sleep on my left side. From early in the 1st trimester, anytime I even thought about rolling onto my left my entire body cramped/seized up and my hubby had to roll me back to my right. It then took several minutes for the muscles to relax again...it was horrible, really.

In any case, I've heard that about the arteries/etc, but it wasn't to be with me & doesn't seem to have affected either me or the kids at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

I'm so annoying at the moment....left, right, left, right and on it goes all night! I would be very frustrated at me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I slept on my belly for numbers 2 and 3... most comfortable for me and the midwife said as long as I was comfortable it didn't matter, baby was well padded in there!

But the left side thing is about blood flow to the placenta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Im like some of you girls sleeping anywhich way I actually get some sleep! But baby does not like me on my left side, baby will claw me from inside if I lie on my left for more than 2 minutes!:D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Our antenatal class discussed this with the physio who came in to talk to us - she basically said that if you roll over in your sleep, what can you do? Its not going to be harmful to the baby.

I have been a lifelong tummy sleeper, but since about 5 months, baby makes it known she/he does not like me on my tummy by kicking me, on my back by half-strangling me, and on my right side by stomping on my vena cava and giving me a near heart attack with the leg cramps! :D

I put a pillow between my knees, which stops me rolling over into tummy position, while on my left. OH usually spoons me so I dont tend to roll over much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Towards the end I had to sleep sitting up in the bed, no comfortable position. I found the left side uncomfortable as it made my hips hurt a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Neyite wrote: »
    Our antenatal class discussed this with the physio who came in to talk to us - she basically said that if you roll over in your sleep, what can you do? Its not going to be harmful to the baby.

I have been a lifelong tummy sleeper, but since about 5 months, baby makes it known she/he does not like me on my tummy by kicking me, on my back by half-strangling me, and on my right side by stomping on my vena cava and giving me a near heart attack with the leg cramps! :D

I put a pillow between my knees, which stops me rolling over into tummy position, while on my left. OH usually spoons me so I dont tend to roll over much anymore.

My OH think me being preggers is the best thing ever as he has so much room in the bed and because I barely move.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

I fall asleep on my left side.
    My hubby wakes up sometimes during night (we have quite hmm active & loud neighbours if you know what I mean ;-)) and if he sees that I'm on my back he turn me on my left side.
    I discovered that I get more rest when I'm on my left side and most important I don't wake up in middle of night to go to bathroom (not anymore)

Advertisement