Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****e Service

Options
  • 07-03-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Eircom broadband is going up and down more often than a pair of knickers.... every time I ring its a different excuse, one example was it was my modem's fault, now several modems later and this evening every few minutes broadband stops working. One engineer says my line only supports 1mb, another is saying it supports 4mb. I'm paying for 8mb:mad:

So at the end of my long suffering patience, One ever so helpful agent gives my the number to cancel broadband. (How do these people keep jobs?)
    The next tells me he will send out an engineer but I may have to pay? WTF???

My neighbours all have UPC and guess what it works all the time. So what is the situation now because I got a new modem I'm stuck with this dyabolical service for 12 mths?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I just got off the phone with eircom tech support and have been told that there is problems with the routers and are causing "intermittent sync" and slow speeds.I'm on my fourth router in 3 months with them and they have just told me to get a non Eircom router myself.The engineer also told me this last week when he was out that I should go and buy a new router instead of trying to use the Eircom ones.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent router that will work with eircom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Knine wrote: »
    Eircom broadband is going up and down more often than a pair of knickers.... every time I ring its a different excuse, one example was it was my modem's fault, now several modems later and this evening every few minutes broadband stops working. One engineer says my line only supports 1mb, another is saying it supports 4mb. I'm paying for 8mb:mad:

So at the end of my long suffering patience, One ever so helpful agent gives my the number to cancel broadband. (How do these people keep jobs?)
    The next tells me he will send out an engineer but I may have to pay? WTF???

My neighbours all have UPC and guess what it works all the time. So what is the situation now because I got a new modem I'm stuck with this dyabolical service for 12 mths?

Hi Knine,

Thanks for your post.

As you may be aware, Adsl or Broadband is frequency based technology which does not guarantee broadband speed for any one.

Maximum download speeds cannot be guaranteed, as eircom broadband is Rate Adaptive, i.e. a distance dependant* technology. (*The distance between the modem and the exchange it is connected to.) However, if there is a large difference between the speed of your broadband package and the speed test result, please see troubleshooting suggestions below. Upload speeds are not the equal to download speeds. For example, on a broadband connection of 1MBps, the maximum download speed could be approximately 1MB (1024kbps), but the upload speed will be 128kbps. This is the very nature of ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line - asymmetric meaning unequal).

This is why Adsl broadband is rated or measured : as up to, for e.g: 2Mb, or upto 8Mb, etc.

As regards to *NGB, or Next Generation Broadband: NGB is essentially fibre powered broadband, which guarantees consistent download speeds, whatever time of the day, even at peak times. NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases).
    Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for. See www.ngb.ie for more information.

If you need to call back into eircom Technical Support again, it would be beneficial to just check the following suggestions -

Troubleshoot slow connections

In some cases you may find that your broadband connection is not working or running slowly.
    *Note: Not all of the following steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved..

Powercycle the modem:
      • Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
      • Wait 30 seconds
      • Switch the modem back On
      • Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect
    • Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.
    FURTHER ADVICE ON CHECKING YOUR BROADBAND CONNECTION - SLOW OR INTERMITTENT SYNC IS SHOWN ON OUR SUPPORT FORUM WEBSITE :

community.eircom.net

I would definitely recommend that you try to complete the steps outlined. Generally once you have completed these steps, and you are still experiencing the same issues, any fault will be external or on the eircom side. With that in mind, any call out fee will be waived as this clearly will not be your fault. On the other hand, failing to complete the checks, may lead to a call out charge. So if you're testing your modem from an upstairs study, maybe look again at your set up.

If you want me to check your history with Technical Support, just PM your phone number / or contact Technical Support directly :

If you're modem is found to be faulty and it's still under 12 month warantee, Technical Support can replace it for free. Otherwise you have the option to purchase a new modem from eircom at approximately 50% of cost /or you can purchase your own modem. If you choose the latter, make sure that it is Adsl compatible. Some 3rd party modems will offer more advanced features for port forwarding, NAT, and security, etc. If you need help to set these up you may need to contact the modem manufacturer for support on this.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up. Alternatively, let me know your case id and I will follow this up with Technical Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Hi Knine,

Troubleshoot slow connections

In some cases you may find that your broadband connection is not working or running slowly.
    *Note: Not all of the following steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved..

Powercycle the modem:
      • Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
      • Wait 30 seconds
      • Switch the modem back On
      • Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

This seems to be eircom's answer to everyone that has a problem with their broadband connection.Yes doing the power cycle of the modem solves the problem but why should I have to do that every day?It is obvious that the modem's provided by Eircom to their customers are not fit for their purpose so why can eircom not supply modems that work?Only 10 mins ago i was getting less than 2mbps and now after doing the power cycle I am getting 10.5mbps.Surely there is a modem available that will provide consistent download speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

scwazrh wrote: »
    This seems to be eircom's answer to everyone that has a problem with their broadband connection.Yes doing the power cycle of the modem solves the problem but why should I have to do that every day?It is obvious that the modem's provided by Eircom to their customers are not fit for their purpose so why can eircom not supply modems that work?Only 10 mins ago i was getting less than 2mbps and now after doing the power cycle I am getting 10.5mbps.Surely there is a modem available that will provide consistent download speeds

Hi scwazrh,

Would you be able to PM your home phone or eircom Account number and I will look into your case history with Technical Support.

If you need assistance right away, please contact :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Hold on to your case id /reference from Technical Support and let me know your case id. I will follow this up with Technical Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Hi ,

I have sent my number to you

• Advertisement
Advertisement