Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Rubbish

Options
  • 07-03-2012 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi all, just wanted to raise this one again to see who people think is the best person to approach.

The state of the N11 down towards Glen of the Downs is a disgrace. There's rubbish literally everywhere, not to mention the dead badger thats been on the N11 for a week, just after the 2 black bags that were dumped weeks ago and now all their contents are all along the side of the road. The Farankelly Road & footpath are filthy too, theres still 2 election posters in the bushes, plastic sheeting all through the gorse, bottles, disgarded clothes etc. For a county thats marketed as the "Garden of Ireland", I'd hate to think what impression our local area gives tourists!

Last time it got really bad I contacted Simon Harris who sorted it out within 3-4 weeks. But seeing as hes now moved on to a less localised role, who do people think would be the best / most pro-active councillers to raise this to?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input...;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Most County Councils have litter wardens. We're not in election mode so approaching a TD or councillor may be a waste of time but they'll be sure to take the credit if it is eventually acted on.

The hedgerows and ditches have recently beeen butchered by the Council which has made the problem of litter and dumping more evident not to mention the poor old birds who had got an early start on nests due to the mild winter.

I live on a country link road and every now and again I have to walk up and down outside the house picking up rubbish. Hard to believe but people **** things out their car windows......this country has a high % of mingers living in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Huntthe wrote: »
    Most County Councils have litter wardens. We're not in election mode so approaching a TD or councillor may be a waste of time but they'll be sure to take the credit if it is eventually acted on.

The hedgerows and ditches have recently beeen butchered by the Council which has made the problem of litter and dumping more evident not to mention the poor old birds who had got an early start on nests due to the mild winter.

I live on a country link road and every now and again I have to walk up and down outside the house picking up rubbish. Hard to believe but people **** things out their car windows......this country has a high % of mingers living in it.

Probably cut backs. Usually things that go once councils need to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

I shot a mail off to the 4 Greystones Wicklow CoCo members last night (and put Simon Harris on CC as he helped out last time). I had a reply from Simon Harris literally within 10 minutes from his iphone (say what you want, I was very impressed!) and also a reply from Grainne McLoughlin, both agreeing with the complaint and committing to raise it at the next meeting on Tuesday.

No idea if they can/will follow through but at least they took the time to respond over a weekend. Fingers crossed..... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

eleMental wrote: »
    Hi all, just wanted to raise this one again to see who people think is the best person to approach.

The state of the N11 down towards Glen of the Downs is a disgrace. There's rubbish literally everywhere, not to mention the dead badger thats been on the N11 for a week, just after the 2 black bags that were dumped weeks ago and now all their contents are all along the side of the road. The Farankelly Road & footpath are filthy too, theres still 2 election posters in the bushes, plastic sheeting all through the gorse, bottles, disgarded clothes etc. For a county thats marketed as the "Garden of Ireland", I'd hate to think what impression our local area gives tourists!

Last time it got really bad I contacted Simon Harris who sorted it out within 3-4 weeks. But seeing as hes now moved on to a less localised role, who do people think would be the best / most pro-active councillers to raise this to?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input...;)

Couldn't agree more with you eleMental. There are days when I'm coming home on the N11 that I want to park up and pick it up myself rather than wait for Wicklow Co Co to do anything about it. I rang them about it once & they were more concerned about pointing the blame at the Irish Road Hauliers Assoc. than actually deciding who was going to pick it up. Garden of Ireland my ar*e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

eleMental wrote: »
    not to mention the dead badger thats been on the N11 for a week...
    There's a headless deer carcass straddling the footpath and the N11 at Barry's Bridge. Been there about 2 months now, slowly rotting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement