Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acting Post of Responsibility

• 07-03-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all, I've had an acting post since dec 2007. i received a letter today from the VEC to say that the post and the allowance will be gone by Aug 2012 due to a teacher returning to the school. what are my rights? Can't find anything on the TUI site. Will talk to the principal tomorrow to see what she says but it would great to know if i've any right of appeal??? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Hi all, I've had an acting post since dec 2007. i received a letter today from the VEC to say that the post and the allowance will be gone by Aug 2012 due to a teacher returning to the school. what are my rights? Can't find anything on the TUI site. Will talk to the principal tomorrow to see what she says but it would great to know if i've any right of appeal??? Thanks

In what way do you think you have rights? You had an acting post. It was never your POR. The teacher is returning to the school and therefore will resume the duties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭shinnyjosiedan

The teacher that is returning has not taught in the school for 7 years. Was hoping that i'd have some hope of keeping the post. the principal told me 2 yrs ago that if you have an acting post for 3 yrs or more that it is seen as your own post....The post I have involves registering over 1350 students for FETAC examinations. This person was not doing this post prior to her departure...

I have worked in the VEC system for many years and have never heard of someone keeping an acting post as their own when the original post holder returns.
    It is highly unlikely that you will, from the letter that you received from your VEC and the moratorium on posts at the minute.
    It doesn't matter what duties the post holder did before their career break. PORs chop and change all the time. It is still their post.

Thanks gaeilgebeo...was hoping for good news but deep down didn't think I would..just so shocked to receive the letter today

Thanks gaeilgebeo...was hoping for good news but deep down didn't think I would..just so shocked to receive the letter today

I'm sorry to hear that and it is a shock to get when you've been in the post for so long. Someone else may come on and correct me but I really don't think you will get to keep it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

Will you keep registering those 1350 students for FETAC exams after you lose the allowances for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The post I have involves registering over 1350 students for FETAC examinations. This person was not doing this post prior to her departure...

acting=acting., never permanent. If someone was on secondment for 20 years, its only acting unless you apply for a different post.
    Duties for a post are between you and the principal, you could run the school for the allowance if you were willing.
    Sorry, but post is gone after Aug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Acting is acting only. Like was already said, it doesn't matter how long you are acting or what the duties are, the post is not yours.

I had an acting post for the guts of a year about 5 or 6 years ago due to a teacher going on long term sick leave. As it happened the teacher retired at the end of that school year, but the post had to be advertised within the school the following year, along with some other posts that came up and I had to interview for it again.

Your post would also be gone if that teacher retired this summer due to the moratorium on posts.

The question is if that person does not take on the FETAC duties as their post and they are given something else to do are you going to continue to do it for nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

I have had this happen to me in the past. You have no rights to hold this post as it 'acting". Even if the teacher had resigned - the motatorium on posts would mean that the post would be lost to the school.

It bad news to hear but a least the VEC gave you good notice. In many schools, nobody bothers to inform the acting postholder.

I have no intention of doing any FETAC duties without remuneration. It's a seriously heavy workload. There are plenty of post holders in the school that they can use. Thanks for everyone's response but was talking to the principal today and there is nothing that can be done. There will be an A post coming up over the next few wks as we've fallen below our threshold with all the retirements. Will apply for that but according to the union there will be no remuneration for any new posts...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Best of luck in the A post - it sounds like you have good experience of top work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

This is a nasty blow for you and I can quite understand that you came on here looking for some reassurance. Seven years is a long time and I'm guessing this is someone's secondment that's ending. What a different place the country was in 2005 when you took this on and everyone probably thought the departing staff member would never be seen in the place again!

Given that the ground is shifting between our feet regarding allowances, you should really consider getting formal personalised advice from the union should you land your A post. The fact that you were in receipt of a prior allowance, albeit temporary, might set a precedent. I realise this is unlikely but fight your corner. What have you to lose?

Advertisement