Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge solar flare threatens chaos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

micropig wrote: »
    The electric window on my car won't close. :(
    Fully opened and the motor is working just stops all of a sudden at a certain point...

Coincidence or is the world about to end?

The worlds about to end...Get in your bunker...or did you not build one cos you don't believe:rolleyes:

Didn't build a bunker.... but bought a second hand caravan from a 'cousin' instead, basically the same thing ain't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Didn't build a bunker.... but bought a second hand caravan from a 'cousin' instead, basically the same thing ain't it?

Tis true, it'll do a grand job, just remember to seal the windows with cardboard to keep out the rays, and tin foil, lots of tinfoil;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

My fridge door is opening and closing like it's possessed...is it any thing to do with this?

Thats just Gozer.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Thats just Gozer.

Grand so, I'll put it back outside, bit cramped in here as it is..Door keeps knocking over my stash of canned food:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

My Sky has stopped working, the window in my car won't go down and a speaker in the car that hasn't worked for the last year did today.

3 deadly omens if ever I saw one.

We are fooked.

• Advertisement

My Sky has stopped working, the window in my car won't go down and a speaker in the car that hasn't worked for the last year did today.

3 deadly omens if ever I saw one.

We are fooked.

Nah your stuff's just sh1t:D

Sorry:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

gerry murphy didnt say anything about it on the weather earlier, not going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

May the Gods save us if Mary Harney has her morning fart at 6am.

I was watching my TV, when writing appeared on the screen. It freaked me out until I realised it was just the credits and the film was over...a close encounter narrowly avoided there:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Its OK people my Sky is still working and that is the main thing,,

But in 1859 a super solar storm did hit Earth (the Carrington event)and the Northern Lights were seen as far south as Hawaii.

If a similar storm was to hit us today, every grid transformer would blow on the Northern and parts of the southern hemisphere. The grid repairs could take up to 10 year, so we would be suddenly in the stone age.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=1859%20solar%20storm&source=web&cd=10&sqi=2&ved=0CGoQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flixxy.com%2Fsolar-storm-1859.htm&ei=pPtXT_vNHMr-8QPXi9XsDg&usg=AFQjCNGeqGW9fLe9sZCx7lGT2Mb26XFNdA&cad=rja

• Advertisement

44leto wrote: »
    Its OK people my Sky is still working and that is the main thing,,

But in 1859 a super solar storm did hit Earth (the Carrington event)and the Northern Lights were seen as far south as Hawaii.

If a similar storm was to hit us today, every grid transformer would blow on the Northern and parts of the southern hemisphere. The grid repairs could take up to 10 year, so we would be suddenly in the stone age.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=1859%20solar%20storm&source=web&cd=10&sqi=2&ved=0CGoQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flixxy.com%2Fsolar-storm-1859.htm&ei=pPtXT_vNHMr-8QPXi9XsDg&usg=AFQjCNGeqGW9fLe9sZCx7lGT2Mb26XFNdA&cad=rja

Could be the best thing that ever happened to us, no bank/bailout/mortgage/phone bills details etc if all the computers where blown, back to basis...it'd be like one giant hippy commune...I say bring it on:D

I'll start making the oil lamps...we could cash in on this:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Mmmm ... coronal mass ejection ... *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Could be the best thing that ever happened to us, no bank/bailout/mortgage/phone bills details etc if all the computers where blown, back to basis...it'd be like one giant hippy commune...I say bring it on:D

I'll start making the oil lamps...we could cash in on this:p

Positive thinking will get us through anything, excellent thinking out of you, sure as long as we have teles we will be fine.

The 1859 super solar storm probably was only a freak or a very rare event. We have had Solar Maxes since and none were that extreme.

Positive thinking will get us through anything, excellent thinking out of you, sure as long as we have teles we will be fine.

The 1859 super solar storm probably was only a freak or a very rare event. We have had Solar Maxes since and none were that extreme.

Do they fix grids? This crowd?

Did the Germans plan this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭GamesDontSuck

Seems like a full moon tonight... but very cloudy. stupid clouds.

More luck than anything else, just think about the distances and angle of projection.
    93 million miles away the sun has to throw this solar flare at the exact angle, both horizontally and vertically and it has to be aimed at where the earth will be tomorrow, that's quite a shot!

You'll never hear about the thousands of flares that go in all the other directions.

Seems like a full moon tonight... but very cloudy. stupid clouds.

2300hrs)

I notced 2 hours ago it was a lovely clear sky. These clouds just appeared out of no where :(

I wanna see crazy stuff in the sky! its not fair dammit! :pac:

I notced 2 hours ago it was a lovely clear sky. These clouds just appeared out of no where :(

I wanna see crazy stuff in the sky! its not fair dammit! :pac:

Right, out I go...I'll report back

*If I don't return, avenge my death:D

Right, out I go...I'll report back

*If I don't return, avenge my death:D

*awaits*
    *shifty eyes*
    *sharpens axe*
    *plots*

• Advertisement

*awaits*
    *shifty eyes*
    *sharpens axe*
    *plots*

I survive unscathed.....

Lovely night out....Light cloud coverage, but moving swiftly, in a north easterly direction. Minimum star visibility. Big Bright Bright moon.

&for the fishermen: South to south east 14 rising slowly

I survive unscathed.....

Lovely night out....Light cloud coverage, but moving swiftly, in a north easterly direction. Minimum star visibility. Big Bright Bright moon.

&for the fishermen: South to south east 14 rising slowly

Ahhhhhh :(
    Got worked up to kill ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Oh Noes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

All the world was devastated, except for Ireland... thanks to the clouds.

We miss out on any mutant superpowers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

All the world was devastated, except for Ireland...

....and the IMF in their bunkers!

I better start stocking up on some canned food! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Very clear sky here early this morning, and cold - minus 12 C. But we have had some pretty good auroral displays, even this far south.:)

I was watching one when I took my dog out for an early morning walk and along came another dog owner, and a big wheel in the administration here.:D

Something he told me indicates we in Ireland are more fcuked than a bit of solar radiation could cause: It seems like Olli Rehn will soon be replaced and the guy we'll have to deal with from then on is likely to be this tosser::eek:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5w-dc7SWklM/TMnL9RaBZ5I/AAAAAAAAAE4/BI7tVjd9wao/s1600/aleksander-stubb-kok1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Very clear sky here early this morning, and cold - minus 12 C. But we have had some pretty good auroral displays, even this far south.:)

I was watching one when I took my dog out for an early morning walk and along came another dog owner, and a big wheel in the administration here.:D

Something he told me indicates we in Ireland are more fcuked than a bit of solar radiation could cause: It seems like Olli Rehn will soon be replaced and the guy we'll have to deal with from then on is likely to be this tosser::eek:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5w-dc7SWklM/TMnL9RaBZ5I/AAAAAAAAAE4/BI7tVjd9wao/s1600/aleksander-stubb-kok1.jpg

There's a big wheel in Laois ? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    this tosser::eek:
    WAAH! Jesus will you wait till I've had my coffee before posting that kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Please be advised that those sightings along the liffey and various side streets, O'connell st are not - repeat not - zombies brought out by solar activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

mattjack wrote: »
    There's a big wheel in Laois ? :pac::pac:

I believe there are a few, but I'm in Helsinki now and will be for the next couple of weeks. The "big wheel" I referred to is a top parliamentary official that I have known for a good few years. :):)

Advertisement