Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

<rant>

how the hell can they come back to me on the day we were supposed to close and tell me they cant get the deeds? how the ****?

how the **** is this morning the first time that this has actually come up?

the contracts were done off bloody copies, and everything was arranged with tomorrow being the absolute latest we were told it would be. guaranteed. it was also suggested that it could be earlier this week, but today was almost defiantly it, except for when things moved to being possibly yesterday. Well no move on that.

ive taken days off work for this, arranged bloody cover, everything. and the morning I was expecting to get my keys they have the brass balls to call up and tell me they cant get their hands on the deeds? how in gods name have they let it get this far!

im fit to kill.

</rant>

actually its a serious question: how long should it take to get their hands on these deeds? shouldnt they already have them at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

folan wrote: »
    <rant>

how the hell can they come back to me on the day we were supposed to close and tell me they cant get the deeds? how the ****?

the contracts were done off bloody copies, and everything was arranged with tomorrow being the absolute latest we were told it would be. guaranteed. it was also suggested that it could be earlier this week, but today was almost defiantly it, except for when things moved to being possibly yesterday. Well no move on that.

ive taken days off work for this, arranged bloody cover, everything. and the morning I was expecting to get my keys they have the brass balls to call up and tell me they cant get their hands on the deeds? how in gods name have they let it get this far!

im fit to kill.

</rant>

actually its a serious question: how long should it take to get their hands on these deeds? shouldnt they already have them at this stage?

Your solicitor has a lot to answer for here. They should have informed you that the contracts were subject to receiving the original certs of compliance etc from the title deeds. Any idea where the original deeds are? Are they still with the Vendors lender? If so, you're looking at a bit of a delay here... Your solicitor knew you were due to close and should have ensured the original deeds were available well before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

<rant>

im fit to kill.

</rant>

God Folan, I'm sorry about that:( Have no idea of the answer to your question but I hope it gets sorted soon. It's really stressful I know and I haven't even got down to the nitty gritty of it all yet!

killers1 wrote: »
    Your solicitor has a lot to answer for here. They should have informed you that the contracts were subject to receiving the original certs of compliance etc from the title deeds. Any idea where the original deeds are? Are they still with the Vendors lender? If so, you're looking at a bit of a delay here... Your solicitor knew you were due to close and should have ensured the original deeds were available well before this.

vendors lender afaik. which is very bad news killers1!

this is after a phone call from my solicitor saying the funds had been released on tuesday, and if everything cleared we could get the keys yesterday, but since last tuesday, the 6th, when we dropped off the outstanding amount from the deposit, we were given today as the most likely day. we took that and ordered furniture to be delivered over the weekend, for me to take 2 days off and my oh to take an extra one which is a struggle to get approved in her place.

amazing how this is only coming to our attention now since weve called them twice a day since monday.

vendors lender afaik. which is very bad news killers1!

this is after a phone call from my solicitor saying the funds had been released on tuesday, and if everything cleared we could get the keys yesterday, but since last tuesday, the 6th, when we dropped off the outstanding amount from the deposit, we were given today as the most likely day. we took that and ordered furniture to be delivered over the weekend, for me to take 2 days off and my oh to take an extra one which is a struggle to get approved in her place.

amazing how this is only coming to our attention now since weve called them twice a day since monday.

I'd be very disappointed if that was my solicitor, they've really taken their eye off the ball on this. Make sure you get your solicitor to hound the vendors solicitor to have the Deeds couriered to them immediately and hopefully the bank are willing to work on that straight away and he could have them today/tomorrow. Once the Deeds are received you should be able to close very quickly. A worst case scenario would be the lender is Bank of Scotland and the Deeds are in Edinburgh but hopefully it's not the case...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

Just taken a call from my solicitor- this is annoying me now.
    The vendor solicitor replied to all my solicitors queries but they did not furnish him with proof of vendors monies to pay off the remainder of the vendors mortgage or a statement from his bank stating what is owed... I believe the vendor solicitor is completely incompetent.
    So we are unable to get a closing date- those bxxtxxds are only trying the hold onto the vendor's cash to receive further interest- he has 90k supposedly of the vendors funds in the customers account since last September. total cowboys.

A worst case scenario would be the lender is Bank of Scotland and the Deeds are in Edinburgh but hopefully it's not the case...

hadnt even occured to me!

thanks for the advice killers1, i appreciate it. its great to be able to get a better view of what exactly is going on here. I wouldnt have thought we would even have gotten this far if deeds werent to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mikulas

I am a FTB also and thinking to buy my own home. I looked at many places but haven't found the right property yet. I actually looked at a 2 bed apartment in rathfarnham--Loretto Abbey Complex. The apartment was lovely, liked it, however i am concerned about the future of the actual Loretto Abbey building next door. The Abbey belong to NAMA and the building is empty since 1999..
    Anyways, my question is: does anyone know if it is a good complex to live in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭cassiedoll

folan i've just seen your latest news. That is an absolute disgrace. If i was you i would look for compensation from your solicitor and if it is not resolved, take it to the Law Society - i'm serious. I work in a solicitors office and that should never ever ever have happened. I hope it all gets sorted soon for you.

On another note, I have preached to people to always inspect a house prior to release of monies to whom ever you're buying from and because everything came down to the wire yesterday, i never got the opportunity to inspect the house myself and i did warn the solicitors on the other side that if the shed, attic etc. were not emptied, their client would have to pay for the removal of everything and the skip but luckily they were left empty.

i can't say the say the same for the absolute state the house was left in and what's more is that after what has been a very stressful situation and at times, i've wanted to throw the towel in and walk away, to turn up to your new home to find it left in bits, wiped the smile off my face fairly quickly. The house is only 8 years old but look 30 years old last night. If it was me selling my house, i would have left it in the condition i would like to walk in to a house i've just bought.

Anyways, that's my rant over and again, Folan i hope you get there soon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I must say I had a beautiful house, very turn key which I sold and after moving out, it did look fairly tatty due to faded spots where furniture was, marks where things hung on the wall, screw holes on walls etc etc. All small stuff but with furniture gone, it doesn't look the most attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭cassiedoll

TheDriver wrote: »
    I must say I had a beautiful house, very turn key which I sold and after moving out, it did look fairly tatty due to faded spots where furniture was, marks where things hung on the wall, screw holes on walls etc etc. All small stuff but with furniture gone, it doesn't look the most attractive.

I can appreciate that but i discovered there was an ant problem and that white powder was left all over the kitchen floor and in both the bins, which were left in the sitting room !!!!! - did they want to spread the ants even further around the house???

it looked like curtain rails were pulled from the wall. if i had pulled the curtains the whole rail probably would have come down on top of me. Some of the blinds were broken. The big blind in the sitting room was broken and left hanging across the window. It certainly was not like that when i went to view the house. Shower and toilets hadnt been cleaned in a long time. Sinks had spit and hard toothpaste in them. rotten food left in fridge and presses. looked like the liquids had been emptied out the back garden on to the ground. As soon as i opened the back door, it looked like somebody had vomited.

the smoke alarms had been pulled off the ceiling and all the parts left on the counter in the kitchen!!!! I know for a fact that the two alarms were fitted. I specifically asked about them so i could tell my insurers. Even the surveyor mentioned them in his report.

the list goes on and on............i just felt it was a bit unfair to leave that kind of dirt behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

My house was filthy- I don't think it had ever seen a j cloth or a duster.

Still got it for a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That's great news! You can work away with paying the booking deposit before signing the offer letter. You'll need to really push things along, val report, loan pack, survey, contracts etc to get this closed before Christmas but it is possible. Hound the EA to get contracts issued to your solicitor ASAP!

Just a quick question Killers1 - when exactly do I start hounding the EA re the contracts? I'm going to the bank tomorrow with my offer letter and tying up some loose ends with them (organising valuation) and must organise engineer with solicitorand my booking deposit will be with the EA by tomorrow hopefully - when does the EA issue the contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,901 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Keys. Now to start cleaning the old man smell...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FixYa

Hi guys
    If all goes well contracts will be signed on Dec 15th. What are the chances to get FTB?
    Does solicitor request check from the bank when contracts are signed?

leahyl wrote: »

Just a quick question Killers1 - when exactly do I start hounding the EA re the contracts? I'm going to the bank tomorrow with my offer letter and tying up some loose ends with them (organising valuation) and must organise engineer with solicitorand my booking deposit will be with the EA by tomorrow hopefully - when does the EA issue the contracts?

The EA doesn't issue contracts, they are sent from the vendors Solictor to yours. Ring the EA tomorrow and ask them to fax the sales notice to your solicitor which will contain details of the vendors solicitor. Then get your solicitor to ring the vendors solicitor tomorrow to ask have they got the title deeds and are they ready to issue contracts or when do they expect them to be sent out.

FixYa wrote: »
    Hi guys
    If all goes well contracts will be signed on Dec 15th. What are the chances to get FTB?
    Does solicitor request check from the bank when contracts are signed?

Chances are very slim. You'll only have till around the 20th Dec to drawdown the mortgage. Get your solicitor to speak to the vendors solicitor now to see if they can agree a closing date this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Hi,

Put a deposit on a house on the 10th October, still no contracts as they are waiting on some
    title documentation, getting very drawn out now and I will be homeless in 3 weeks.. Aaaaargh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

SNNUS wrote: »
    Hi,

Put a deposit on a house on the 10th October, still no contracts as they are waiting on some
    title documentation, getting very drawn out now and I will be homeless in 3 weeks.. Aaaaargh!!

exactly the same situation as my self!! My solicitor is harrassing them to get the title docs but they seem to have "lost them". Big inconvenience as we were trying to get evrything in before 1st of December when the land registry fees jump up to 500 euro!!:eek: Not likely to happen at all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kristinew

+1 im trying to get it all done and dusted before the 1st of december also to avoid the extra cost. my solicitor and i have been calling the bank everyday to see if they have released the funds yet. They have everthing at this stage. how many days does it take????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

SNNUS wrote: »
    Hi,

Update today to say that the sellers solicitors have not been given the deeds and there is a huge delay in the banks dealing with requests for deeds.. Getting kind of worried now that I will not make the deadline for MIR :(

we got keys, im going home for the first time today.

the vendors solicitors (and to a certain extent ours) have been nightmares.

i will be having words after i sleep in my new room.

WOOOOO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

WOOOOO

Good job and congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

WOOOOO

Congrats!! So how long it take from paying booking deposit to getting keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FixYa

thehamo wrote: »
    exactly the same situation as my self!! My solicitor is harrassing them to get the title docs but they seem to have "lost them". Big inconvenience as we were trying to get evrything in before 1st of December when the land registry fees jump up to 500 euro!!:eek: Not likely to happen at all now.

What's the story with " land registry fees jump up to 500 euro" . Why would they raise charge just at the end of the year, knowing that most of FTBs will be trying to close the sales in December?

PaddyCar wrote: »

Congrats!! So how long it take from paying booking deposit to getting keys?

Every case is different so not a good comparison to make.

FixYa wrote: »

What's the story with " land registry fees jump up to 500 euro" . Why would they raise charge just at the end of the year, knowing that most of FTBs will be trying to close the sales in December?

It's nothing to do with TRS, sales need to have closed and registrations completed by 30th Nov at the latest to pay the cheaper fees

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Avengers

Hi Readers,

FTB, we are supposed to collect keys this month end. Just got a call from my mortgage advisor(BOI) that the underwritters can not take instructions from my solicitor and advised me to find a new solicitor.

Can this really happen just before closing ?

we have signed the contracts and paid the balance deposit. I think vendor has signed the contract and returned to my solicitor(to be confirmed).

My solicitor has mentioned that he would put a request to draw down funds in advance so that we won't miss the FTB Mortgage interest relief.

How come banks say at the last minute to change solicitor?

What are my options now? should i really change solicitor and re-do the whole process again?

Has anyone experienced simillar problem ?

I hope Killers would have more insight in this matter...

I really don't want to miss the MIR :( so disappointed now :(

Thanks in advance

Avengers wrote: »
    Hi Readers,

FTB, we are supposed to collect keys this month end. Just got a call from my mortgage advisor(BOI) that the underwritters can not take instructions from my solicitor and advised me to find a new solicitor.

Can this really happen just before closing ?

we have signed the contracts and paid the balance deposit. I think vendor has signed the contract and returned to my solicitor(to be confirmed).

My solicitor has mentioned that he would put a request to draw down funds in advance so that we won't miss the FTB Mortgage interest relief.

How come banks say at the last minute to change solicitor?

What are my options now? should i really change solicitor and re-do the whole process again?

Has anyone experienced simillar problem ?

I hope Killers would have more insight in this matter...

I really don't want to miss the MIR :( so disappointed now :(

Thanks in advance

Did your mortgage advisor give you any reason like no PI Cover, can't find them on their panel, blacklisted etc?? Also, did you mention it to your solicitor and what was their reaction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Avengers

Did your mortgage advisor give you any reason like no PI Cover, can't find them on their panel, blacklisted etc?? Also, did you mention it to your solicitor and what was their reaction?

Thanks Killers for the rapid response,

No, my mortgage advisor did not give me any reason. She only informed me few minutes before 5 pm today. She also mentioned that BOI had dealt with my solicitor in past without any problems. She then asked me if i heard anything from my solicitor about it.

I was't expecting anything like this, and did't get any call from my solicitor too.

I rang the solicitor's office around 5pm and he is in a meeting(obviously).
    so I explained everything to the receptionist asking to call me back ASAP.

Have't heard anything back :( I will have to wait till monday to get an update.

Is there a way to know a solicitor is blacklisted ? What is PI cover ?

Howcome bank will send loan pack in the first place if the solicitor is blacklisted.

Killers, I appreciate if you have any suggestions on how should i proceed from now on..

Thanks again

Advertisement