Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48 months.ie

Options
  • 07-03-2012 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

sorry if this is in the wrong section.
    what is the story with this mobile phone company it says you have to be between the age of 18 and 22 to get a sim card,how are they to know what age you are or do they even care.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

There's thread about them here on Bargain alerts

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭UrbanMonkey

Just to clarify a few things:

When you pay your 'membership' (€10), this gives you free calls and texts to all networks for a month. If you want extra stuff eg. internet, you pay extra.
    You can pay more money towards your 'membership' to have a longer contract, eg. €30 for 3 months.

I'm currently using 48 and it's brilliant. It uses o2 coverage, so there's absolutely nothing to worry about!
    Go Conquer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Just to clarify a few things:

When you pay your 'membership' (€10), this gives you free calls and texts to all networks for a month. If you want extra stuff eg. internet, you pay extra.
    You can pay more money towards your 'membership' to have a longer contract, eg. €30 for 3 months.

I'm currently using 48 and it's brilliant. It uses o2 coverage, so there's absolutely nothing to worry about!
    Go Conquer.

48's 3G data speeds are NOT the same as O2's, and are far inferior.

I've queried this with 48, and here is their response:
    48 uses the O2 radio network but largely uses its own infrastructure for calls, SMS and data. 48 customers can avail of 3G where O2 3G coverage is available, and EDGE or GPRS where available in other areas. In 3G areas, the maximum speeds which can be achieved vary from those which, can be achieved on O2.
    O2 uses an enhanced 3G protocol called HSDPA, sometimes called “3.5G”. HSDPA gives data speeds of up to 21Mb in many areas and also help ensure better data speeds when there are multiple users in a cell. It’s worth noting that some phones, such as the iPhone use “3G” to indicate both regular 3G and HSDPA networks so it may not be easy to tell which protocol your phone is using. 48 are currently considering a possible upgrade to HSDPA in the future.

In addition, 48 data traffic is routed over their own links to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

brownie25 wrote: »
    .... how are they to know what age you are or do they even care.

... no they don't care. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

They dont care just make sure its your 18th birthday d day u register!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭otterj

Do I have to top up by €10 every month?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Lycamobile are good too, costing me €9 a month and you get double amount (say €20 costs €10) when you top up at the moment although I don't think you can use the bonus credit to pay for the monthly bundle

otterj wrote: »
    Do I have to top up by €10 every month?
    anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

otterj wrote: »
    anyone

yes it's a membership and you won't be able to make calls or texts if you don't pay.

what happens if i dont top up each month. Is my membership cancelled

• Advertisement
Advertisement