Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy 2nd/3rd June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Geez its the Jenson race today alright. Nothing but pics of him and how he's getting on. Just fired a tweet to them asking about how the races are actually going! Hopefully something will come through.

They got a bloody perfect day today for the race! Lucky basdards! Tomorrow aint looking so rosey

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Bambaata wrote: »
    They got a bloody perfect day today for the race! Lucky basdards! Tomorrow aint looking so rosey

I had not looked at tomorrows weather... Hmm, maybe I should.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

http://pic.twitter.com/WCyGdKG4

BTH at the end of the pier?

mloc123 wrote: »
    I had not looked at tomorrows weather... Hmm, maybe I should.

Ah im only joking, its really going tio be 25C and blue skies with no wind ... i wish! :(

• Advertisement

http://pic.twitter.com/WCyGdKG4

BTH at the end of the pier?

You can spot that fire a mile away ;-) Good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

heavy rain and strong breezes tomorrow :( least it'll still be warm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Initial results.. pic.twitter.com/M1Y9esf5

Russ White looks to have won with Brian MacCrystal in 2nd and Bjorn Ludick 3rd.

Great result for Fazz in 13th.

Holy maloney! Russell White won quite comfortably! What race is Bryan Keane doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Any word on the women's race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Old Russian lady one. Fenton 4th I think. 19th for BTH, 7th AG. Hitting the road now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

MCOS 17th in double, tunney 18th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

That was good craic. Swim was surprisingly fun. Perfect conditions for it. My bike was grand and my run was excellent Think I came in around 2.40. Swim was fairly slow.

The speed some of the uber bikers go at is mental.

Was in Button's wave. Totally intimidated him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

just home. Banjaxed
    Did it in 2.29. It was my first oly so happy-ish

had a shocker of a race though,had to stop in the water twice to fooking belch, then had to stop twice on the bike because the sensor for my cat eye was hitting the spokes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Great race. Really enjoyed it. Well run and perfect weather. First time doing the Olympic distance and managed 2:25. My only blip was inhaling a gallon of the Barrow about 200m from home and having to stop for a few seconds cause I couldn't breathe.
    It's a great feeling when you can see the fruits of all the early morning swims, long bikes and runs. I even had a few words with my old mate Jenson, he was sound enough.
    Roll on the Humbert, chomping at the bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Guys,
    If anyone picked up one of these after the day by accident, I'd be more than grateful if you could pm me. Probably in the Green M50-59 area or nearby.

Great day, enjoyed the crowds, neighbours and kids hand-slapping. Way better than slogging up the N7 at 6.30 in the mornings.

What's the goody bag like? I remember it being pretty random last year - eggs, jam and a tin of beans among other things...

What's the goody bag like? I remember it being pretty random last year - eggs, jam and a tin of beans among other things...

Pretty poor. 6 eggs, loads and loads of leaflets, nutrigrain bar, microscopic bag of jellybeans.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I didn't get any eggs but I did get a bottle of kinetica.

Pretty poor. 6 eggs, loads and loads of leaflets, nutrigrain bar, microscopic bag of jellybeans.

Can't wait. I make a mean jelly bean omelette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Did someone mention that the results will be texted to us?

Also, I didn't get a medal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Old Russian lady one. Fenton 4th I think. 19th for BTH, 7th AG. Hitting the road now.

that should read pb3 coaching 1st and 3rd place to reflect the truth ;-)
    Vanessa with top performance and nice win and if the injury from fall from swim exit wont be too bad, she is on for tomorow.

There were medals? :) All in all the usual great event from Athy. Special praise to the marshalls who were unfailingly pleasant and upbeat.

Forgot about the Kinetica bottle.

No text either but results online, and medals only for AG winners.

No text either but results online, and medals only for AG winners.
    I came first in my ag. Unfortunately there was noone else IN my ag. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

ARRGGGHHH

just lost whole god damn race report that was typed out!
    DOH! Back in the morning so!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

What a "lovely" morning! This should be fun.

Good luck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

it was delish too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Headed down early with my McLaren jersey for the required Button photo.
    Got that in Transition and had my gear all set up.
    He seemed a nice guy, comes across that way anyway and was obviously swamped the whole time which can't be fun in fairness.
    Great of him to do it all the same, a nice novelty for everyone there.

Now then, onto race.

Did a shorter than normal warm up and got the wetsuit on.
    Weather was pretty much exact same as last year, so very similar conditions.

I was in Wave 5, with a few fish of the names Bjorn and Stephen, along with BTH and co for company also.
    So some good markers, and attempts to draft for a short period anyway!

Swim: 22:29 - 25/541

Started off around 2nd line back and with David Cahill ahead, and BTH to my left staring down Stephen Early's legs I figured :D
    I started well, drafted in behind DC and felt in control of my stroke.
    A little snaking and I lost a little bit, but no much and obv being a river swim was easy to correct line etc.
    Noticed fish had a gap from early on but kept plowing away.
    Got a bit more draft here and there, but mainly on my own up to turnaround.
    Around the buoy and there were 2 white caps ahead of me from my wave.
    I made a push and got on their feet for more drafts, but they were snaking a little also.
    I ended up passing these by a back marker from green hat wave and carried on at a decent pace.
    Mainly on own downstream, but latched onto another white hat near the end and drafted him into the finish. Passed a couple more white hats here through his help :D

I got out of the water and saw 22:xx... ! Delighted. Exact same swim as last year, in what felt similar current conditions and I was over 8 mins faster.
    I'll take that.

T1 - 1:16 - 66/541

Not much to report, I lose a little time removing my quick release garmin from wrist and mounting on bike, as well as feet were a little slow to get out of wetsuit (again).
    Out and onto bike course.

Bike - 1:01:46 - 10/541

As I was running out, I copped my left tri shoe had unhooked itself from the elastic... Ok, just stay on the pedals please.
    It was bumpy by the mount line but I carried on and attempted the flying mount....
    It was here things went bad... :o
    As I jumped on, my left foot missed the loose pedal and I lost balance and fell to my right.
    My right leg jerked out to prevent fall, and bike went down but only on aerobars hitting ground and foot holding me up.
    Can't wait to see the picture of this as there were plenty of camera's around!
    Anyway, picking myself back up and the crowd are shouting your chain, your chain.
    Look down and it's off the front derailleur...
    Ok, marshal says calm down and I am just fixing it normally, get the chain back on and a slow start to head out.
    I lost over 1minute here, seen by BTH shouting some abuse as I was in his way at some stage but had no idea as was in my own state of panic.
    BTH was 1min down on my swim so hence I lost massive time straight away! Doh!
    Thanks to the crowd for their shouts. I think I did try to get on and pedal before realising the chain was off and listening to them. Never mind! :o:rolleyes:
    Now, the bad part here was when my right leg jerked out to stop me falling my calf obv took some kinda shock and tightened up quite a bit.
    First thing I noticed straight away but headed out anyway.
    So, as if that wasn't enough I'm 100m out the road, and something is rubbing. Look down and my garmin cadence arm has been knocked onto disc cover.
    Stop again and fix that before starting away. Not sure if this was actually where BTH caught me as I honestly didn't notice him either way.
    My calf is tight, and I'm spinning a bit easier instead of hammering away.
    I don't want to stress it further this early, and hope by starting easy I can keep it ok.
    Thought crossed my mind that it may be hard to run, but I continue and will cross that bridge later!

So, start passing people, take a drink, and get the head down.
    Still spinning easier for a while in light of calf which I can constantly feel.

Out to the 15k turnaround and I clock Bjorn and Stephen coming against me.
    I take a note of the time and make it to the turnaround.
    Double the time and oh dear, I'm 6 minutes down already!
    That can't have been just swim, did I really lose that much extra on bike already? Maybe...
    OK, head down and I start to put a bit more effort in now that legs warmed up. Calf still tight but not affecting my cycling really now in fairness.

I see Mr McCrystal and his Yellow Boots hammering it and try to gauge time gap. He started in swim wave behind so 10mins give or take.
    I track and reckon he's 6 mins behind at most, so has made up unreal time already.

I only noticed 1 or 2 drafters, but didn't bother saying anything. What's the point, if they want to race like that they can.

Around the 25k mark I take my first gel. I pass a guy in the process as didn't realise I was approaching him that quick. He repasses me straight away and no chance did he allow the 10m gap first.
    Not to worry, I finish my gel and pass him again before the turnaround.
    I did clock Bjorn again and timed it around 5-5.5mins ahead now.
    Clocked BMC again and just put the head down as I didn't want to be caught by him!

It's an honest bike course, rolling, turns, drags, flats, country roads, nice normal roads. Pretty good in fairness and I liked it.
    I saw Stephen around 1km plus out on the run as i was still approaching transition.

Into T2 for the business end.

T2 - 1:08 - 51/545

I struggle to get my slightly numb feet into runners, but not the worst.
    Out into Run course and got a shout out from Elvis. Cheers man :D

Run - 39:22 - 24/541

Headed out on the run with gel in hand and legs were good.
    Calf didn't act up at all, and I was straight into target pace and running 3:40's.
    KM 1 through in 3:42, followed by the incline KM2 in 3:49.
    I pick up a panter behind me who latches on and provides company from here on in.
    KM 3 in 3:46 followed by KM 4 in 3:48
    I'm running fine, try to surge a couple times but it's hard to maintain momentum when passing traffic in the rough stuff.
    Course is busy now and passing folk every 50m or so.
    Still have my buddy for company.
    KM 5 in 3:53, turnaround, and KM6 in 3:56.
    I'm starting to fade here and really want to keep below 4min...
    KM 7 in 3:58 and I through some water over the head.
    I haven't had my gel as felt ok, but possibly should have.
    KM8 in 4:08 and I'm fading here.
    I get passed by Patrick Quinn and he's running strong. Try to hold on and up pace but not happening.
    KM 9 in 4:08 and my buddy has also passed me now too.
    KM 10 in 4:02, and final sprint of 120 m in :21 for a strong finish.

So, I finished strong and have a sprint in me, but suffered in back half of run and couldn't up tempo.
    I feel I need to learn to suffer more at race pace, and perhaps even just psychological to push through that barrier and deliver a better run.

Overall - 2:06:04 - 13th Place

I'm happy with overall result. I swam well and my best yet, I biked well after my poor start, and I ran well at start but suffered near end, as did most from talking to them and that run course contributes to that.

I'm thinking ok, gotta be close to a Top 10 with that time...
    Over to the timing tent and 13th... Really? :rolleyes:
    Ouch! Harsh!
    I would have been 3rd in last years times and felt similar conditions.
    Standards are really improving so much all round.

Looking at the results, 7th Place was just 1 minute 10 seconds ahead of me.
    Yes, 6 places in just 1minute! My bike issues, Doh! :D:rolleyes:

I enjoyed the day, headed onto my niece's birthday then and was late back to Dublin.

Calf is tight today, defo needs a proper massage.
    There is one bad part to yesterday also.... My bike....
    As the aero bar hit the ground it obv sent a bit of shockwave through the frame.
    Looks like it may have cracked at the weakest point on top tube.
    Happened another club mate also so it's obv the weakest area of the frame and not up to much. I couldn't work it out as it didn't fall much and certainly not that hard and nowhere near frame. Aero bars are perfect just a light scuff.
    Checking warranty options now to decide next step as I don't believe that should happen that easy. Frame has a 5yr guarantee apparently.

Ridley.jpg

So, recover, back to training and try sort my run race pace out.
    Next up is Athlone in 4 weeks, my first A race and a course I love.
    Swim should suit me, Bike the same (once i sort bike!) and Run whilst plenty of turns it's same for us all and on roads so at least consistent.

I want to finish with a note on the top class event and standards of the race yesterday.
    Basically the whole of Top 5 beat the winning time last year.
    I don't think there was any wind last year so it's a reasonable comparison.

Russell White's times are top quality, as are all the Sub 2 guys and most of top 10. Obv his swim and run stands out as head and shoulders above others.
    Assume we will be seeing him compete in ITU soon hopefully!
    He's gotta be on course for Olympics in 4 years with that swim and run capability at his age! Fair play, that's top bombing.

Anyone that ran 37 or lower yesterday has really got to have a 35min 10k off the bike in them in my opinion on a nicer course.

BMC's bike split is sick :eek: to recover 4 minutes to leaders like that is just class. I can't wait for Athlone to try and be better than 5 minutes 46 seconds behind his bike split! :o And to follow with a sub 36 run, just a couple weeks after IM Lanza. Hoping he has some strong Pro races ahead it's great to see.

Hope the racers today have a great one. Looking forward to more reports.

Advertisement