Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy 2nd/3rd June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

^^^^^

Great report, great result and great progress chief.
    Delighted to see you're getting the sort of results your obvious commitment in terms of training numbers suggests. Splitting that high up in the swim is a great achievement and hopefully payback for all the effort during the winter. A result like that and still questioning 'what if's' at the start of the bike etc ... brilliant ! best of luck with the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

interested wrote: »
    ^^^^^

Great report, great result and great progress chief.
    Delighted to see you're getting the sort of results your obvious commitment in terms of training numbers suggests. Splitting that high up in the swim is a great achievement and hopefully payback for all the effort during the winter. A result like that and still questioning 'what if's' at the start of the bike etc ... brilliant ! best of luck with the rest of the season.

Thanks man. Yeah swim is the main positive I'm taking away. Happy to have sorted it and know come open water it will be about sighting and drafting a lot more for me. It really is an interesting different kettle of fish! :)
    Getting consistent results so far, and still due a good race so hoping to have a better one soon. Maybe that's an elusive when all 3 disciplines go right we shall see!
    Either way, I just want to maintain my progress graph and hopefully can catch the top guys in time.
    It's great to see a lot of competition about.

Looking like an interesting battle between Stephen Early and Bjorn for the NS I'd say. Both very similar in each discipline and it could be very close. Athlone may be important for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Fazz wrote: »
    I would have been 3rd in last years times and felt similar conditions.
    Standards are really improving so much all round.

Great report Fazz your improvements are richly deserved with the ammount of training you are doing

Rawhead wrote: »
    Roll on the Humbert, chomping at the bit now.

That B16 you have got will be the death of me in the Humbert, nice bike split and great overall time. I will be hoping you get your nutrition wrong as that might be my only chance of catching you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

MCOS 17th in double, tunney 18th.

What the hell happened to Tunney's swim? 58mins vs 47min for MCOS. And 2:10 in T1? But recovered to have strong bike and run. Race report....???

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Oryx wrote: »
    I didn't get any eggs but I did get a bottle of kinetica.

No kinetica bottles left today:( but we did get TWO nutrigrain bars...Not half as much stuff as last year. Tough conditions today, well done to anyone who did it as their first race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Quote from fazz race report (which is cool stuff)

"Basically the whole of Top 5 beat the winning time last year".

when will people learn to get realistic this years race was about 5 (plus mins 30 sec) faster than last year ( swim times are quite different from last year by about 2,5 faster this year)

and the double about 10 min faster than last year 5 ish min on bike 5ish min on run due to less heat mainly ( swim tiemes v similar as different start this year me thinks)

and good luck with the frame. ( and if nothing comes out the carbon guy mentioned in the other thread is as it says in his titel name a bit rough quality but looks like super solid repair work ( and its after all a work tool not a designer bike at your level)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Good race today. Freezing conditions but once the gun goes everything else is secondary to just racing hard!

Managed 2nd overall (damn the pesky junior!! - looking forward to seeing his swim! run was 16:xx!!) and 1st 25-29 and was very surprised to beat a few guys i didnt think i would (including boardsies ;) ). Swim went well, bike i lost time flaffing about with the bloody shoes and run was solid. Never had to hurt too much (did give her fair welly though) but i was motoring for some reason. 17:3x (i think) 5k so happy days. Ill have a report up later or possibly tomorrow(sleep now! then more homemade pizza and then pints!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

No kinetica bottles left today:( but we did get TWO nutrigrain bars...Not half as much stuff as last year. Tough conditions today, well done to anyone who did it as their first race!

Congrats on picking up another medal yourself.

Good day out for me. Felt today went much better than yesterday, although I finished much higher up yesterday. Luck of the draw sometimes and those pesky kids don't help matters. 32th for me and finished very strong. Good weekend of hard racing.

Great stuff from ElD taking 2.5 min on me and a top 15(I think) and Bambatta who had almost 5min on me:eek: and second overall!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I got a kinetica bottle AND a dozen eggs :cool: though only because someone else donated their eggs to me.

i got both too but i did seem to be very early despite not actually trying to be early! Everyone seemed to arrive in the last 30mins of registration!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Where are you guys getting these positions and times? On site or from the web?
    The triathy site seems totally dead to me.

Right. Triathlon Ireland sorted me out.

I got a printout of my results after I finished.

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Where are you guys getting these positions and times? On site or from the web?
    The triathy site seems totally dead to me.

Right. Triathlon Ireland sorted me out.
    They just give you yours or are the full results somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

peter kern wrote: »
    Quote from fazz race report (which is cool stuff)

"Basically the whole of Top 5 beat the winning time last year".

when will people learn to get realistic this years race was about 5 (plus mins 30 sec) faster than last year ( swim times are quite different from last year by about 2,5 faster this year)

Sorry Peter but it's you that is now unrealistic, 5+ minutes faster! Yeah right!

Your assumptions comparing to last year are incorrect in that instance as they account for zero improvement from a sample few athletes that did both.

So in your numbers of this race being 5+ minutes faster than last years.
    That means:
    Bjorn = 30secs+ slower in ability than last year...
    Dave Richardson = 4+ Mins slower in ability than last year...

Or in your language.
    Paul Carroll = barely improved at all (1min) compared to last year.
    I think we can all agree this is not the case.

So your 5+Mins faster is WAY out in fairness...

Temperature was prob same, but cloudy yesterday compared to sun last year.
    Wind I don't recall from last year but don't remember it being a factor same as yesterday. Maybe it was worse yesterday no one will ever know.
    Course exact same.
    River current - ok, possibly had more this year and Bjorn and David swam 3mins faster than last year. However, I'm sure some of that is in performance gains also. If more current then I guess a little harder to 400m, and little easier for last 1100m. Again didn't feel any different in my opinion but can't say for sure.
    Hard to compare others swims as performance gains more a factor there.

It's not really a question or point that can ever be answered, as individuals experience different things on different days - e.g. maybe Bjorn had a bad swim last year?
    Maybe this and maybe that.
    But 5+ mins slower is the other end of the spectrum! :D

If Bjorn and David felt their swims went similar and that they haven't improved at all in the last 12 months then granted, maybe the swim was 3 mins faster.
    Big if's there though.

I retract my previous statement due to so many variables in athlete performances as well as potential course conditions, despite feeling similar.

I'll rephrase and say the Top 4 beat last years winning time by over 4 minutes and in my opinion the course was no where near that amount quicker than last year.

But we'll never know ;):D

Now back to race reports, come on lads.

And well done Bambaata! Fantastic Result!

Congrats on picking up another medal yourself.

Good day out for me. Felt today went much better than yesterday, although I finished much higher up yesterday. Luck of the draw sometimes and those pesky kids don't help matters. 32th for me and finished very strong. Good weekend of hard racing.

Great stuff from ElD taking 2.5 min on me and a top 15(I think) and Bambatta who had almost 5min on me:eek: and second overall!!

Thanks, was a bit disappointed with the performance though - messed up a bit in transition putting a jacket on which then billowed around on the bike in a most un-aerodynamic fashion. Bike time was a bit slow too. Well done on doing the two races though, and doing pretty well in both!

Full results now up on Triathlon Ireland page. Finished one second behind second place for the female overall standings...shouldn't have paused to high five those kids....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

bjorn is very matured as a swimmer and has done prety much the same times in the last few years in the swim .when it comes to find out about swim times he would be one of my 10 referecne athletes and so is stepehn early.

look at female duathlon nat champs 2 weeks ago she was 30 secs behind in a sprint race to yesterdays winner y day 11 minutes ........
    you need to see the bigger picture and not only a few athletes. So atheltes can have off days despite the fact that she got much stronger this year.

as for Paul where I really know whats happening this was a poor race
    for him and he raced with an ( gardening ;-) injury and did not take the race as serious than he would have last year. on a good day he would have finished quite close to 3rd place in my mind ...so an know he has not improved 10 or so min I think he has improved 5 min this year but no way 10 .
    Also lets be very realistic I would not have expected that if vansess had she raced in the race last year that she would have won with her performance y day .( jennifer did a very impressive race last year in athy, vanessa an good race with more in the tank) it would have been tight but I still think that Jennifer run some 40 sec faster than vanessa (again vanessa was under no pressure as she knew she was miles ahead and was racing today and would have had more in the tank but I was at 8,5k and can tell you she was not in pain , while jennifer had to work last year as she had not sealed victory by then.
    to me both performances where very equal. and I think jennifer was 2.20.50 vanessa 2.15.50is y day. and beside vanessa is a few weeks of from her best ;-)

So while i cant and dodnt really want to talk about bjorn i can talk about the others two
    and bjorn as a strong swimmer did not gain as much from the easier condition y day in the water as a weak swimmer which is the majority of triathletes ( dave is a very solid swimmer too).
    ( weak swimmer were noticalbly swimming faster upsteam than last year)
    so the 5 min are again an ify subject as it also depends on your strenght and if you want to use 4 min as an handicap be welcome but iam not going to write down this guy strong swimmer weak cyclist today gained only 3.5 min weak swimmer strong cyclist today gained 6 min.........

Race report from me can be found here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79010850&postcount=2697

Good day out. Despite the rain and wind all night/morning. It stopped just as we got to Athy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Junior

Anyone seen the results from the TryAthy event that was on Saturday evening anywhere ?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Beware the goody bag jelly beans. Some godawful flavours in there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

bjorn is very matured as a swimmer and has done prety much the same times in the last few years in the swim .when it comes to find out about swim times he would be one of my 10 referecne athletes and so is stepehn early.

look at female duathlon nat champs 2 weeks ago she was 30 secs behind in a sprint race to yesterdays winner y day 11 minutes ........
    you need to see the bigger picture and not only a few athletes. So atheltes can have off days despite the fact that she got much stronger this year.

as for Paul where I really know whats happening this was a poor race
    for him and he raced with an ( gardening ;-) injury and did not take the race as serious than he would have last year. on a good day he would have finished quite close to 3rd place in my mind ...so an know he has not improved 10 or so min I think he has improved 5 min this year but no way 10 .
    Also lets be very realistic I would not have expected that if vansess had she raced in the race last year that she would have won with her performance y day .( jennifer did a very impressive race last year in athy, vanessa an good race with more in the tank) it would have been tight but I still think that Jennifer run some 40 sec faster than vanessa (again vanessa was under no pressure as she knew she was miles ahead and was racing today and would have had more in the tank but I was at 8,5k and can tell you she was not in pain , while jennifer had to work last year as she had not sealed victory by then.
    to me both performances where very equal. and I think jennifer was 2.20.50 vanessa 2.15.50is y day. and beside vanessa is a few weeks of from her best ;-)

So while i cant and dodnt really want to talk about bjorn i can talk about the others two
    and bjorn as a strong swimmer did not gain as much from the easier condition y day in the water as a weak swimmer which is the majority of triathletes ( dave is a very solid swimmer too).
    ( weak swimmer were noticalbly swimming faster upsteam than last year)
    so the 5 min are again an ify subject as it also depends on your strenght and if you want to use 4 min as an handicap be welcome but iam not going to write down this guy strong swimmer weak cyclist today gained only 3.5 min weak swimmer strong cyclist today gained 6 min.........

So in short.... the oly swim was shorter than 2011 in your opinion?

Oryx wrote: »
    Beware the goody bag jelly beans. Some godawful flavours in there :)

All 5 of them? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

One of the uplifting points from a **** weekend is that a lad I am helping out who was back of pack last year placed this year in his AG and was not far off Tunney/MCOS. Something very pleasing about that considering he has no fancy gear or trick bike (bike is from the 80s & weighs a tonne) just shows that hard work really pays off.
    Cracking results from the boardsies, great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Race report from me can be found here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79010850&postcount=2697

Good day out. Despite the rain and wind all night/morning. It stopped just as we got to Athy.

Great report Meadbh....you will never do a triathlon in more miserable conditions..youve banked that one now so onwards and upwards from here.

PS If i had of known RQ was offering me cake i wud have accepted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Full results now up on Triathlon Ireland page. Finished one second behind second place for the female overall standings...shouldn't have paused to high five those kids....

Just saw that. Tough break. Good going all the same and very strong running. Up graded inside the top 30 myself :cool:
    and beside vanessa is a few weeks of from her best ;-)

That's terrifying, she seems almost untouchable this season. Two wins this weekend she's still very motivated. Told me she's going to retire if I ever out swim her! Only 46 sec down today so she's getting nervous!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »
    So in short.... the oly swim was shorter than 2011 in your opinion?

Double was measured as 3.2km (and not by me)

Nwm2 wrote: »
    What the hell happened to Tunney's swim? 58mins vs 47min for MCOS. And 2:10 in T1? But recovered to have strong bike and run. Race report....???

Race report to come but in a nut shell....

Swim - Wetsuit taken from attic at 0505 Saturday morning. Put there after Frankfurt 2011. Tried on for first time in Transition before the race. Fungus on suit - yuck, no flexibility in shoulders, plus too fat to fit in it right. Swim a fvcking nightmare. Could not swim in a straight line, about the tenth time I hit the bank I nearly got out and said "fvck it all". Swam into the current when i should have swam out of it, swam out of the current when I should have swam with it. Total fvcking mare. My neck and shoulders are still in a fvcking c0ck today from the experience.

T1 - tri gear does not fit so had to put on bike jersey, plus this is the first transition in 3 years for me that did not involve changing tents and gear in nice organised bags. Used bike shoes, not try shoes, generally faffed. Not used to the chaos!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    Double was measured as 3.2km (and not by me)

Saw tha on Garmin connect alright, at least 3 uploads all arounf 3.2km and the GPS points look correct.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Saw tha on Garmin connect alright, at least 3 uploads all arounf 3.2km and the GPS points look correct.

Double run was 500m long too. Damn near killed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Didn't enjoy the weather or waiting around today but thought it was a well organised event. To get nearly 800 athletes round that course was no easy undertaking. Transition was policed well (MC Elvis was bossing everyone about) Marshalls were all enthusiastic in their support and it was, despite the rain, a fun day out.

Race report done

Advertisement