Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy 2nd/3rd June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

tunney wrote: »
    mloc123 wrote: »
    So in short.... the oly swim was shorter than 2011 in your opinion?

Double was measured as 3.2km (and not by me)
    Measured 3.16km myself. I snaked a little but generally held a good line

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Anyone managed to view the results yet? The website just keeps hanging for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

fletch wrote: »
    Anyone managed to view the results yet? The website just keeps hanging for me.

Triathy.ie is a joke, it only manages to stay up when nobody is trying to access it.

http://triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=789

mloc123 wrote: »
    Triathy.ie is a joke, it only manages to stay up when nobody is trying to access it.

http://triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=789
    Ha yeh I haven't been able to access it for the last few days...cheers for the link! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Didn't enjoy the weather or waiting around today but thought it was a well organised event. To get nearly 800 athletes round that course was no easy undertaking. Transition was policed well (MC Elvis was bossing everyone about) Marshalls were all enthusiastic in their support and it was, despite the rain, a fun day out.

Race report done

MC Elvis.... Didn't hear orbital halcyon once'.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

BTH you seem to forget a few athletes.
    aoife l is not sitting at home doing nothing ;-)
    jennifer d
    katie C the sprint champs
    and Amy w will show up too a couple of times. and her swim is still in a different league.
    and joyce w still trains more than the girl that came third in the olympic race on sat ...

judith l is the duathlon champ
    sinead r
    ellen m is not getting slower either
    and I was really impressed y day by andree w. who came 2nd that girl is a fighter and there is defo more to come from her.
    and there is this pb 3 hobby athlete that wasnt firing due due busy work and social commitments.
    and even in the boardies there is that girl that has all the ingredients to become a super athlete.
    and i am sure I missed 1 or 2 .

Just saw that. Tough break. Good going all the same and very strong running. Up graded inside the top 30 myself :cool:

That's terrifying, she seems almost untouchable this season. Two wins this weekend she's still very motivated. Told me she's going to retire if I ever out swim her! Only 46 sec down today so she's getting nervous!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

Double run was 500m long too. Damn near killed me.
    ye i measured the run course a bit long as well?? but what an awful run course- it was like running through a field of sillage with the added problem of people running in the opposite direction trying to shoulder you into the river!! anybody else think it was to rough, too narrow and too busy?

longshank wrote: »
    Double run was 500m long too. Damn near killed me.
    ye i measured the run course a bit long as well?? but what an awful run course- it was like running through a field of sillage with the added problem of people running in the opposite direction trying to shoulder you into the river!! anybody else think it was to rough, too narrow and too busy?
    ha i actually commented that it felt like i was back at run-a-muck! :-)
    Also having to duck under the low bridge. Luckily I had nobody around me at that stage but i would say it was fun jostling for position as only one person fitted thru at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

peter kern wrote: »
    BTH you seem to forget a few athletes.
    aoife l is not sitting at home doing nothing ;-)
    jennifer d
    katie C the sprint champs
    and Amy w will show up too a couple of times. and her swim is still in a different league.
    and joyce w still trains more than the girl that came third in the olympic race on sat ...

judith l is the duathlon champ
    sinead r
    ellen m is not getting slower either
    and I was really impressed y day by andree w. who came 2nd that girl is a fighter and there is defo more to come from her.
    and there is this pb 3 hobby athlete that wasnt firing due due busy work and social commitments.
    and even in the boardies there is that girl that has all the ingredients to become a super athlete.
    and i am sure I missed 1 or 2 .

Absolutely, I think the women's field is wide open this year - will be an interesting season for sure. Last year it seemed to be a two horse race between Aoife Lynch and Jennifer Duffy from early on, but a lot of contenders this year I think. Clearly a lot of hard work done over the winter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Absolutely, I think the women's field is wide open this year - will be an interesting season for sure. Last year it seemed to be a two horse race between Aoife Lynch and Jennifer Duffy from early on, but a lot of contenders this year I think. Clearly a lot of hard work done over the winter:)

IMO VF is not at the standard AL & JD were last year. Basing this solely on my own scientific analysis..called the chicked protocol. Last yr i got chicked by both AL & JD at every race..this year i have not been chicked by VF at the 2 races i have raced were she has also raced. Now unless i have improved in the off season or the standard is not as high this year. Chick scien:Dce is proven theory.Fact

• Advertisement

that comment will hurt fazz as this would mean the race was even faster than i said ;-0

anyway some people race to win and no athlete since elena M has won 4 big races in 4 weeks and defo not an athlete that starts in the vet category (yes, i know she would pass to start in the 29 -34 category)

you can only win if you are on the start line ........if s but s dont count

which reminds me there is derval d and elena m

Where is Elana? I have not seen her name at a race in.. 18months?

she did an aquathon last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

that comment will hurt fazz as this would mean the race was even faster than i said ;-0

anyway some people race to win and no athlete since elena M has won 4 big races in 4 weeks and defo not an athlete that starts in the vet category (yes, i know she would pass to start in the 29 -34 category)

you can only win if you are on the start line ........if s but s dont count

Peter you are mistaken, Bryangiggsy is talking about the Sprint so a different race altogether. ;)
    And I agree with his analysis and opinion also.

Derval will be back soon, as will Jennifer.
    Athlone will probably see them all go head to head I'd say.

Elena is busy coaching the TI Junior Development squad.
    And kicking ass by the looks of the results this weekend eh! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Enjoyed yesterday and especially enjoyed just meeting and greeting other in what was my first A race of 2012 and first of 2 in 6 days.

Here is my Race Report

God I have so much reports and reading to catch up on bt right now the lawn needs trimming and the body a spin on the bike and easy swim...soon, v soon I will catch up :) Well done all and well done Elvis and the Athy crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Fair play to all involved - very smoothly run event yesterday.

Just over 90 mins for my first tri. Had a mare of a swim - think my wetsuit is too tight as I got dizzy and thought I was going to pass out. lost at least 5 mins due to that and when I got out my couldn't get the wetsuit off - 4.50 in T1!! :(

Rest of course was fine although that little ramp bridge near the end nearly killed me! When I stopped after the finish both calfs and hamstrings started to cramp - strangest thing I've ever encountered!!

4 weeks to knock at least 15 mins off in Athlone!!

These are very fast run times attached.....too fast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Well done to everyone and thanks for getting involved in a weekend that raises much needed funds for our club Trilogy.

With 2000 people racing things are never going to be perfect but we hope that we adapted to sort things as quick as we could.

I've got a few PM's to deal with re times, waves etc and i'll get to them tomorrow.

Sorry re bags yesterday..........decision was took out of your hands and the goal posts were moved.

It was great to meet so many of you and good luck with the season........suppose i may do a few races myself now:D

Oh and i said hello to Tunney over the mic, i also played Orbital........it was so loud it sent you sideways in the water, it wasn't your wetsuit after all:D

fazz now iam lost. yesterday you told me my 5 min were unrealistic
    today you seem to say that you agree that VF is not on the level AF and JD were last year.( and I never said That Al hasnt progressed 2012;-) and Al has proven in lisboa that she has progressed, that judgement is still out on some.

I seem to misunderstand something from your statements
    personally I am in the fortunate position to be able to compare vf s test sets with AL thest sets from last year ......

ps you can ask joe what he thought about vanessa s cycling ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NorthernRaider

FWIW, weighing in on the 2012 vs 2011 Oly debate, I have some hard data on the swim, as I measured both with my gadget (not using Garmin's inaccurate 'swim' function!) - 2011 came in at 1690m and 2012 1550m. I certainly felt that when I reached the turn this year that the flow was much stronger than last year. Putting it all together, I think PK is correct in calling the swim 'course' to be faster this year - about 3m seems right to me. I also think using the likes of Luddick and Earley makes sense, as these guys are well-established metronomic swimmers, who have been at the top for some time!

On the weather, while the temperature this year was probably similar, it was definitely sunnier (how many people didn't get burnt last year, I certainly did - :mad:?), but maybe more humid this year. Last year certainly felt more draining to me!

So, to compare 2012 to 2011, I think you need to subtract 3-4m - having said that, I certainly agree that standards this year are generally higher. There are some very impressive results around, not least from the guys (and gals) populating this forum, so well done all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Well done to everyone and thanks for getting involved in a weekend that raises much needed funds for our club Trilogy.

With 2000 people racing things are never going to be perfect but we hope that we adapted to sort things as quick as we could.

I've got a few PM's to deal with re times, waves etc and i'll get to them tomorrow.

Sorry re bags yesterday..........decision was took out of your hands and the goal posts were moved.

It was great to meet so many of you and good luck with the season........suppose i may do a few races myself now:D

Oh and i said hello to Tunney over the mic, i also played Orbital........it was so loud it sent you sideways in the water, it wasn't your wetsuit after all:D

Only thing that stood out for me was that there was no bins in transition - might make the clean-up a bit easier afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

mrboswell wrote: »
    Only thing that stood out for me was that there was no bins in transition - might make the clean-up a bit easier afterwards.

Yes that was mentioned and noted for the post race report ! I even thought it myself after eating a banana and having no place to put the peel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Sprint Run 5 Km?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Sprint Run 5 Km?

Garmin clicked it at 5.08

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ok so that attachment from bryangiggsy is for the TriAthy with the 3.8 Km run?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Nwm2 wrote: »
    What the hell happened to Tunney's swim? 58mins vs 47min for MCOS. And 2:10 in T1? But recovered to have strong bike and run. Race report....???

Race report to come but in a nut shell....

Swim - Swim a fvcking nightmare. Could not swim in a straight line, about the tenth time I hit the bank I nearly got out and said "fvck it all". Swam into the current when i should have swam out of it, swam out of the current when I should have swam with it. Total fvcking mare. My neck and shoulders are still in a fvcking c0ck today from the experience.

I can confirm all of this! Tunney passed me just after the first turn around. I stayed on his feet for most of the down stream. But anybody watching us would've had some laugh cos neither of us kept a good line and we weere all over the river, mostly in different directions, but every now and again we got it right and I got to draft for about 50m at a time.

Sometimes Tunney was going fine but I'd veer off race line, other times I'd be doing fine and think there's no point drafting off these feet cos they're heading for the shallow weeds on the river bank.

Going back up river I was a little more focused not veering off target quite as much as Tunney and I passed him just before the last turn around but he passed me again going down river heading for the finish. I lost him when I swam in to some big lad who was stopped in the middle of the river 100m before the bridge.

I don't know Tunney but our swim splits are only a few seconds apart and there was nobody else near us for the last 2000m. I also remember thinking that next time I get caught in no man's land with only one person to draft off he better know where he's going. It was fairly comical and even though I'd a fairly bad swim I did see the funny side of it and laughed every now and again.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Ok so that attachment from bryangiggsy is for the TriAthy with the 3.8 Km run?
    i think a couple of lads might have taken a right instead of a left :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I saw those times too and thought they looked a little too fast. There not challenging the top few though so I doubt anyone who could change the results will notice.

Yeh it wasn't very clear that you had to turn left as we joined the river bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Shouldn't be bags in transition, or boxes anyways, regardless of brand.

Didn't hear the song :) Cheers though :)

not blaming the suit entirely!

Advertisement