Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy 2nd/3rd June

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How is it controlled at other races?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

How is it controlled at other races?

Some races are better than others. Best case in Ireland...

You get a sticker for your bike and helmet. When collecting your bike you show your race number, bike number and helmet number.

European races, St. Polten last year... rdiff wrist band, picture taken when you rack of you holding your bike with your helmet on. Number for your bike, helmet and clothes bags. rdiff scanned when collecting your bike.. they confirm the picture matches what you are taking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

When I did the London Tri a couple of years ago you had a wrist band that had to match your bike number and you had to match the photo of you that was taken when you enterered transition to rack your bike before you could leave again with a bike.

In Hardman last year they took my TI card and held it with a written description of my bike - to remove my bike I had to match the photo on my TI card and the bike had to match the written description.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »
    Some races are better than others. Best case in Ireland...

You get a sticker for your bike and helmet. When collecting your bike you show your race number, bike number and helmet number.

European races, St. Polten last year... rdiff wrist band, picture taken when you rack of you holding your bike with your helmet on. Number for your bike, helmet and clothes bags. rdiff scanned when collecting your bike.. they confirm the picture matches what you are taking out.
    griffin100 wrote: »
    When I did the London Tri a couple of years ago you had a wrist band that had to match your bike number and you had to match the photo of you that was taken when you enterered transition to rack your bike before you could leave again with a bike.

In Hardman last year they took my TI card and held it with a written description of my bike - to remove my bike I had to match the photo on my TI card and the bike had to match the written description.

Austria 2009, they took a few photos of you with your bike but were not super strict on bikes. Stricter than anything in Ireland but not super strict.

Load of high end bikes got nicked.

Austria 2010, fort knox. RFID chips in wrist bands, one on the bike. No wrist band no bike. Everything scanned, and photographed. Checked.

Anyways - article in the FIT magazine in the Indo about Athy today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

tunney wrote: »

What % of pictures are of Jenson?

What % of pictures are of Jenson?

Didn't see any

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Didn't see any

he's there - just the one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Interview with some guy named Dave Tunney. Can't have been you though as he comes across as a positive and cheery kinda guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Some great posts above and i'll pass on the info..........winners of comp will be known by 3 today:)

• Advertisement

Some great posts above and i'll pass on the info..........winners of comp will be known by 3 today:)

What comp?

What comp?

The one i sent you a message about because you hadn't entered it:D

The one i sent you a message about because you hadn't entered it:D

Ah right so ted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Interview with some guy named Dave Tunney. Can't have been you though as he comes across as a positive and cheery kinda guy.

tummy was already cheerful during the race ;-)
    and he beat jack l so he must have been happy ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Anybody got some link to photos from the race? Interested in the bike section of the race.

Only photos I came across are the ones posted on the TriAthy facebook.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordon_thomson/sets/72157630030983716/

peter kern wrote: »
    tummy was already cheerful during the race ;-)
    and he beat jack l so he must have been happy ;-)

Tummy had a really enjoyable day. Big smile on my face all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Any pictures anywhere of the Sprint?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

winners of comp will be known by 3 today:)

tick tock tick tock :p

Just waiting on replies from a few PM's and we are good to go. Dawn this took me ages..............:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Howdy all,

Now that the dust has settled on TriAthy 2012 i'm looking for any feedback negative or positive.

As i've said before our club raises a lot of funding from this race so whatever we can do to make it better we'll try to do.

So if you could e mail me at sales@apollodjs.ie that would be great.

I've 2 main negative items id like to mention about this race:

1 - as said by others, security in transition was absolutely shocking.
    As I was leaving with my bike, I passed a security guy and actually said oh do you want me to get my number out of y bag as I started to open it.
    No he said go on.
    Wow. Way to risk serious bad reputation there.
    1 or 2 bikes to get stolen and that's it, you're race would be screwed.

2 - prize money.
    This race is huge, and obviously has larger costs (or volunteers for free), than other races.
    Even so, as I was reading the brief I noted the winner of eah age group got €70 I think, with the overall winner getting another €50!
    So correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the race winner got €120 for his troubles....
    Wow. Oly and spr must generate near €30k-€35k in revenue! Each.

By comparison, I read in Joey Hannan brief the winner got €300!!!
    And that race generates what, 30-35% of entries and revenue by comparison.
    And Joey paid out same if not more to all age group prizes also.

None of us do this sport for the money, but comparing the 2 above prize moneys is a bit of a very poor showing for Athy.

Other than that, course was well marshalled, seemed to run smoothly and I enjoyed the day and event put on by organisers.

I think the security point must be priority no. 1 and even worth stating in race ad for next year what will be done about it.

Sorry I have a third point:

3:

Lastly, Athy and Athlone are our 2 biggest races on calendar.
    Athlone is being innovative - last year had an auto posting of splits through a Facebook app.
    This year, have an iPhone app and think I read it will have live tracking of athletes on the course.
    Maybe this is just gps tracker, but maybe it will also give splits or positions who knows.

This is absolutely the way forward and the big races have the revenue to drive these.
    It seems Athy is way behind on prize money and security, not to mention innovation.

• Advertisement

Points 1 and 3 i do agree with and shall pass them on, i have a meeting later in the month to go through the event.

Point 2 is outside my remit:o

Good 2nd point FAZZ(if it is correct and i will know if i get an abusive email from a client for being naive once again ), but to be fair it started out with 1000 euro for the winner in the first 2 years then it got halfed and at least till 2 years ago it was 500 for the winner and 300 for the sprint.
    Kilkee puts on the prizes on the website and i think thats the only thing to lament that prizes are not published beforehand. ( besides me being naive to think that if an event gets bigger they wont cut prize money)

And coming back to how much more competitive the race seems to get have a look at the results for the first 2 years and you will see a competitive field when there was prop prize money.
    1 year it was fraser cartmel bryan keane richard stannard gavin noble,emma davis and i think 2 more international guys racing . And the reason for that field was the man we are not allowed to talk about on this forum.

peter kern wrote: »
    Good 2nd point FAZZ(if it is correct and i will know if i get an abusive email from a client for being naive once again ), but to be fair it started out with 1000 euro for the winner in the first 2 years then it got halfed and at least till 2 years ago it was 500 for the winner and 300 for the sprint.
    Kilkee puts on the prizes on the website and i think thats the only thing to lament that prizes are not published beforehand. ( besides me being naive to think that if an event gets bigger they wont cut prize money)

And coming back to how much more competitive the race seems to get have a look at the results for the first 2 years and you will see a competitive field when there was prop prize money.
    1 year it was fraser cartmel bryan keane richard stannard gavin noble,emma davis and i think 2 more international guys racing . And the reason for that field was the man we are not allowed to talk about on this forum.

Is the race a race for the Elites attracted by prize money?
    Or is the race a race for the average age grouper?

Not everything is about the Elites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

In Ireland its take what you can get, and then take some more

thats why I say publish the prize money before the race

and I think every nat series race should be required to do so
    and if its not about performance it should not be a Nat series race maybe.

But for me Nat series race in a way means performance race not fun race.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

Why can't it be both? Vast majority of age groupers would love to see how they can do versus the elites, triathlon is probably one of the few sports where you can compare directly- Not actually race them but to compare with them on the same course on the same day. Prizemoney is miserable..don't have exact figures but i think you could win your age group in the double olympic and with the prize money minus entry fee be at a loss!!
    Did race 2 years ago and it seemed a better event maybe organisers getting a bit complacent with their success, other events definitely seem to be uping their game while athy is threading water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

2 - prize money.
    This race is huge, and obviously has larger costs (or volunteers for free), than other races.
    Even so, as I was reading the brief I noted the winner of eah age group got €70 I think, with the overall winner getting another €50!
    So correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the race winner got €120 for his troubles....
    Wow. Oly and spr must generate near €30k-€35k in revenue! Each.

To put this into context my wife did a 5km yesterday which was an event to raise money for an organisation so the entry was a bit steep (€20) but you got t-shirt, decent goody bag and chip timing...........but the winner got €200.

Athy is about making money for the 'owners' of the race, remember shares in this race are bought and sold. If people keep on coming then why will they raise the prize money?

longshank wrote: »
    Why can't it be both? Vast majority of age groupers would love to see how they can do versus the elites, triathlon is probably one of the few sports where you can compare directly- Not actually race them but to compare with them on the same course on the same day. Prizemoney is miserable..don't have exact figures but i think you could win your age group in the double olympic and with the prize money minus entry fee be at a loss!!
    Did race 2 years ago and it seemed a better event maybe organisers getting a bit complacent with their success, other events definitely seem to be uping their game while athy is threading water.

longshank wrote: »

With the organisation I have to disagree a bit, I have to say that I think the race was better than than previously. Overall there was more space on the bike course and less drafting, and the swim was as always really good less and there was enough water this year on the run

For health and safety reason they should be a carpet at the swim exit pontoon as the wood got quite slippery.

Why we cant have both? If people dont ask for it they wont get it . At the end of the day Athy is a race for profit ( and there is nothing wrong with that as a race like that so big can not be organized purely on a voluntary basis. If many people will ask for a prize money that reflects the size of the field, than I am sure Athy will do whats best for the business. And athletes that get good prize money should then promote the race in return so it could be a win win situation as I believe Athy did not sell out this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Howdy all,

Now that the dust has settled on TriAthy 2012 i'm looking for any feedback negative or positive.

First of all, thank you to all involved for organising such a great week-end of racing. It was my third time doing this race, and found the organisation of the day from registration to after race getting better and better. Well done.

My only negative concerns the run (20 kms for me) which is getting very congested on that tiny grassy path and fairly isolated from spectators/support. May be time to rethink the route as the number of competitors increases.

Advertisement