Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy 2nd/3rd June

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Anyone know if it would be a big deal to switch from the Standard distance to the Sprint in this race? I signed up for the standard a while back but I'm not sure I have the distance covered in training. I was at a tri talk the other night and the recommendation was that I should have at least 1.5 times the distance covered in each discipline before the race. I have done 60km on the bike (was wrecked after it mind!) and 16km runs but not recently and I've never done over a 2km swim.

I have my first tri coming up at Valentia Island so I might wait till after that before making up my mind but it would be good to know if the option would be available.
    My opinion? Stick with standard. You'll be good for it. It will boost your confidence much more to do a hard Oly than an easy sprint. Never let distance scare you. :) Other than that I can't answer your question about changing. Did you email them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Oryx wrote: »
    Anyone know if it would be a big deal to switch from the Standard distance to the Sprint in this race? I signed up for the standard a while back but I'm not sure I have the distance covered in training. I was at a tri talk the other night and the recommendation was that I should have at least 1.5 times the distance covered in each discipline before the race. I have done 60km on the bike (was wrecked after it mind!) and 16km runs but not recently and I've never done over a 2km swim.

I have my first tri coming up at Valentia Island so I might wait till after that before making up my mind but it would be good to know if the option would be available.
    My opinion? Stick with standard. You'll be good for it. It will boost your confidence much more to do a hard Oly than an easy sprint. Never let distance scare you. :) Other than that I can't answer your question about changing. Did you email them?

I can help out if anyone wants to change distance, just pop me a PM !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

interesting, what was said about Ironman and covering 1.5x the distance in training ;-) ....

go for your oly distance you will be grand.

Would any of the members here who are doing Athy send me there name, race they are doing and projected time !

I need to get them all by May 25th. I have something in the pipeline i can't just confirm yet but need all details to get it into action !

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

I've been thinking of doing my first triathlon and think I could be ready in time for this one. I swim a lot, so swimming would probably be my strongest leg.

I plan on doing the tryathy. The 400m swim will be fine but what kinda training should I be doing for the running and cycling?

I also would need gear. So what and where could I get what I need?

Swimming: I need a wetsuit by the sounds of it. I have goggles. Anything else I need?

Running: Some decent running shoes, anyone have any recommendations on best place/price for a pair.

Cycling: I currently just have a standard enough bike but that will do for my first attempt. :)

Anything else I should be looking into? Oh, I live in Bray and would possibly be interested in joining a club that trains for these kind of things. Do any of ye know of ones close by?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Any tips for the swim, that might be specific to a river swim?

Would I be right in thinking that this swim is relatively easy to sight? Hope to make the swim Athy first to get a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Any tips for the swim, that might be specific to a river swim?

Would I be right in thinking that this swim is relatively easy to sight? Hope to make the swim Athy first to get a feel for it.
    My tip. Find the quickest part of the flow. follow the rushes leaning with it beneath you

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Swim isn't too bad at all. Great race if its anyone's first. River is only about 4 1/2 foot deep too i think.

And as i've mentioned there is a swim event on Mat 27th on the swim course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Have never done a triathlon before but am considering doing this...am I giving myself enough time to train?
    I cycle 35km every day to work so the cycling shouldn't be an issue. I can jog 5km without too much hassle...as for swimming, I would class myself as a strong swimmer but would get nervous swimming in open water in large groups of people.
    Also each distance on it's own I would be okay with but putting the 3 together, does it make each discipline much more difficult?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

fletch wrote: »
    Have never done a triathlon before but am considering doing this...am I giving myself enough time to train?
    I cycle 35km every day to work so the cycling shouldn't be an issue. I can jog 5km without too much hassle...as for swimming, I would class myself as a strong swimmer but would get nervous swimming in open water in large groups of people.
    Also each distance on it's own I would be okay with but putting the 3 together, does it make each discipline much more difficult?

One way to find out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Cheers Oryx, I think I might be psyching myself out a bit. I'm experiencing a bit of pre-race anxiety! It would be a huge boost to my confidence to get my first Oly under my belt though.

Thanks Elvis, I'll give you a shout if I make up my mind to drop down to the sprint but I think I'll give the Oly a try, I won't be too worried about the time I finish in so I can ease off if I feel under pressure.

Thanks Peter, with the 1.5 times distance recommendation the guy giving the talk did make the distinction between sprints and olys and 1/2 ironman and above, trying to cover 1.5 times those distances in training would be mental but looking at some of the training logs on here not unheard of I'd say!

Ok some good news for some members here who lost out when the Double Olympic sold out.

We are currently trying to free up some places as to allow more enteries for the Double Olympic event on the saturday. When this happens i will post here to let you know.

Also there are roughly 100 places left in the Olympic and other distances are selling fast !

20 Double Olympic places released via the website. These will only be available until May 5th.

100 left in Olympic
    250 left in Sprint
    250 in Try

Late fees start from May 6th so sign up now to save 10 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I considered entering the double olympic but 80 euro for a race with a bad reputation minus a goodybag........

tunney wrote: »
    I considered entering the double olympic but 80 euro for a race with a bad reputation minus a goodybag........

Ah no, your happy outlook will be missed;)

Tell everyone the real reason, scared of Tango?

Man, if thats all it is Ill buy you a flapjack and a bottle of juice and put it in a bag for you....

mloc123 wrote: »

smackdown ??????:D

Ah go on Tunney enter the try a tri...........:)

I have a mountain bike you can borrow, it even has a bell.

Man, if thats all it is Ill buy you a flapjack and a bottle of juice and put it in a bag for you....

I'll probably end up entering it anyways, have to check availibity - would be good to find out if my wetsuit fits in advance of race day. only found out last year it didn't the night before we flew to Frankfurt.

Yes thats it. Jackyback is in the Double Olympic too.

To be fair the double olympic format really suits MR tango more than the IM format. 3km swim for him is what 39?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I'll probably end up entering it anyways, have to check availibity - would be good to find out if my wetsuit fits in advance of race day. only found out last year it didn't the night before we flew to Frankfurt.

Yes thats it. Jackyback is in the Double Olympic too.

To be fair the double olympic format really suits MR tango more than the IM format. 3km swim for him is what 39?

I was looking at his 2011 splits and i dont think i will make back enough time on the bike and run from time lost in the swim to him, it really favours the strong swimmers.
    Just mailed the organisers again as they have not switched my entry over yet but they confirmed its not an issue.
    So it possibly could line up as a JB, Tunney, Tango, MCOS mash up:)

I was looking at his 2011 splits and i dont think i will make back enough time on the bike and run from time lost in the swim to him, it really favours the strong swimmers.
    Just mailed the organisers again as they have not switched my entry over yet but they confirmed its not an issue.

Placings being

#1 JB
    #2 MCOS
    #3 Mr Tango
    #4 Tummy

With lil ol Oryx finishing hours later, dont forget. ;)

Placings being

#1 JB
    #2 MCOS
    #3 Mr Tango
    #4 Tummy

Not a chance, race format has me loosing 15mins on the swim.

Anyone know if it is exactly 80km on the bike and what is the road surface/route like? Pretty safe to say at this stage this may not be an IM paced training race as first intended:rolleyes:

With lil ol Oryx finishing hours later, dont forget. ;)

Especially as i throw some thumb tacks down:)

Especially as i throw some thumb tacks down:)
    I'd claim sabotage, except the only person I ever threaten is the marshal who cant go home till I finish.

Placings being

#1 JB
    #2 MCOS
    #3 Mr Tango
    #4 Tummy

Don't write yourself off just yet. IIRC there was some gravel on the bike last year and bound to be a few potholes on the run ;)

Don't write yourself off just yet. IIRC there was some gravel on the bike last year and bound to be a few potholes on the run ;)

Ha...some spots left if you want to show us how it's done!!

Ha...some spots left if you want to show us how it's done!!

I'd be doing well to make it to T1...

• Advertisement

I'd be doing well to make it to T1...

JB will be doing well to get over the stall into T1 to rack up.

Advertisement