Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy 2nd/3rd June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

bombidal wrote: »
    anyone scout this recently or any thoughts from last year. Heard the course is not good

The race got a bad reputation in its first few years as things were not done fantastically. It was a fair rep, it's not now in my opinion. Things have changed, the organizers have changed. I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bombidal

tunney wrote: »
    The race got a bad reputation in its first few years as things were not done fantastically. It was a fair rep, it's not now in my opinion. Things have changed, the organizers have changed. I'm looking forward to it.

Sorry I forgot to add in what I was actually concerned about. The olympic bike course. Have done the sprint and do like the whole setup but I hear the heard the olympic bike course is not good at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Sorry I forgot to add in what I was actually concerned about. The olympic bike course. Have done the sprint and do like the whole setup but I hear the heard the olympic bike course is not good at all

Not good at all? Whats not good about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Here is the Strava of the Tri-Athy Olympic Bike Course

http://app.strava.com/rides/9496034

Its pretty flat mostly. There is one bad section of road where the surface isn't smooth but there are not a lot of potholes or dangerous parts of road.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I did the Oly last year. Nothing wrong with the bike course. There was one sharp turnaround but you get that on lots of courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Swam the olympic course yesterday. The water was warm, current was not strong, but you do notice the extra speed when you are with the current. There is a little bit of weeds under the water in places but wont/shouldn't effect your focus that much. The river is not too deep, ranges from 2-3 feet in places up to close to 6 feet in the center on some parts. I found I could stand in most parts of the river at 5'11.

The run is all down to a persons taste. Some prefer roads, others prefer track. I personally like the setting along the river. Its on a roughly 3 meter wide track thats covered with grass. The last 1km it narrows a little and there is some gravel to run on.

Like all tracks watch where you run. I've run it the last 2 years and found it great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Going for a swim later today. Any particular session I should be doing? Or just relax and take it easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Briando wrote: »
    Swam the olympic course yesterday. The water was warm, current was not strong, but you do notice the extra speed when you are with the current. There is a little bit of weeds under the water in places but wont/shouldn't effect your focus that much. The river is not too deep, ranges from 2-3 feet in places up to close to 6 feet in the center on some parts. I found I could stand in most parts of the river at 5'11.

Felling a little relieved after hearing this! (first Tri and OW swim)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

anyone scout this recently or any thoughts from last year. Heard the course is not good

Guilty... :)

I biked the Olympic early Sat morning, and there were a few out before me in full tt set ups to me cruising on roadie! :D

Course is actually very good in my opinion.
    And it's more rolling than flat, and also open to winds in some areas.
    Only a few turns to negotiate, and only 1 or 2 where brakes will be needed.
    2 turn around points to nicely gauge progress against others ahead.
    Around the 15k and 30k mark.

Surface is quite good all round.
    Not quite as easy as course profile suggests imo, but no real hills there either and some pretty fast parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Good to hear the Aileen Morrison and Gavin Noble will be racing on the Saturday:)

• Advertisement

Oh and if you haven't seen it...........

http://www.triathy.ie/Info/TriAthyEventInfoGuide2012.pdf

Good to hear the Aileen Morrison and Gavin Noble will be racing on the Saturday:)

Awesome.
    Same age group...

Shotgun Noble draft for first.... 3 metres... :o:(

:D

Olympic has got a tad more competitive in the last few weeks!

Probably strongest field so far this year...

Olympic:

Gavin Noble (also in for sprint?)
    Bryan McCrystal
    Bjorn Ludick
    Stephen Early
    Matt Molloy
    David Richardson
    Paul Carroll
    Neal O Grady
    Brian Keane (thought he used a Y but maybe not?)
    Russell White
    Alan Ryan (the ironman major, 2nd at double Oly in '11)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Alan has IM in three weeks. You reckon he will be trying to nail this? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Fazz wrote: »
    Brian Keane (thought he used a Y but maybe not?)

He does, maybe he is in disguise ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

when is the wave info out ?

miller82 wrote: »
    when is the wave info out ?

Race director was up all night doing them out last night so they'll be available soon. As soon as i know i'll let all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I heard Kevin Thornton is doing the double Olympic. Will be interesting to see how he goes. He blew everyone away at the Quiet Man and Galway triathlons recently.

He'll be out of the water with 5-7 minutes headstart to the next person probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

pgibbo wrote: »
    I heard Kevin Thornton is doing the double Olympic. Will be interesting to see how he goes. He blew everyone away at the Quiet Man and Galway triathlons recently.

I saw that on results, he beat R Geraghty by 9 minutes!! Fair enough he smashed everyone in the swim but then posted 2 mins faster than RG on the bike!! :eek:

• Advertisement

That's a huge amount of time over 3km. Will he really be that much faster than the rest of the field? Based on recent results he'll be swimming around 1:08 pace :eek:

I saw that on results, he beat R Geraghty by 9 minutes!! Fair enough he smashed everyone in the swim but then posted 2 mins faster than RG on the bike!! :eek:

He's doing Norseman by all accounts. So I'd imagine he's training hard amd it shows from recent results. Apparently RG is going very well too! Scary :eek:

pgibbo wrote: »
    That's a huge amount of time over 3km. Will he really be that much faster than the rest of the field? Based on recent results he'll be swimming around 1:08 pace :eek:

He's flying. And with his new shoes. . . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Does anyone (Elvis!) know when the TryAthy race starts (400m/16k/4k)? Website suggests 2pm in one place at 5pm in another.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

I asked for my wife on Sunday when i was swimming, they said 5.

Does anyone (Elvis!) know when the TryAthy race starts (400m/16k/4k)? Website suggests 2pm in one place at 5pm in another.

Thanks!

Race starts at 17:00

We'll be getting transition cleared from the morning at 14:30, we would hope to have it reopened around 15:30 ( once all bikes etc are collected and we can clean up ), race briefing at 16:30 and 1st wave in the water at 17:00, transition will reopen at 19:00.

I'll be leaving at 20:00, home, shower and off to night gig, home at 03:30, up at 05:30 and off to Athy again............:D

Race starts at 17:00

We'll be getting transition cleared from the morning at 14:30, we would hope to have it reopened around 15:30 ( once all bikes etc are collected and we can clean up ), race briefing at 16:30 and 1st wave in the water at 17:00, transition will reopen at 19:00.

I'll be leaving at 20:00, home, shower and off to night gig, home at 03:30, up at 05:30 and off to Athy again............:D

Fair play! Thanks for that. It's all in the race pack document you linked to as well. Thanks.

Its the best race of the weekend for us.

Some on the stuff you see in this race really brings a smile to your face, the bikes, the clothes etc. Its a refreshing break from the seriousness ( is that a word ) of the rest of the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

What time does the Sprint start at? (Sorry firewall in work blocks the triathy site and email says 6:00 am :confused:)

• Advertisement

Its the best race of the weekend for us.

Some on the stuff you see in this race really brings a smile to your face, the bikes, the clothes etc. Its a refreshing break from the seriousness ( is that a word ) of the rest of the weekend.

The word you're looking for is "seriosity". (perfectly cromulent word).

Advertisement