Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROS system is a laugh.

Options
  • 07-03-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

Just been told that when you need to complete a direct debit mandate online via ROS you should ignore the fact that the first attempt will take you back to a blank page with empty boxes and re enter all the information as it is the system!! Bit dodgy entering bank information if a site seems flakey so I didn't and tried to complete the online debit mandate form which you can download but this was just lines and blank boxes. A call from ROS confirmed I need to re enter information twice to make it work - but no one has thought to mention that on the ROS website.
    Maybe that is why the revenue struggles to collect taxes.:rolleyes:
    Is it me??!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭smeharg

freddyuk wrote: »
    Just been told that when you need to complete a direct debit mandate online via ROS you should ignore the fact that the first attempt will take you back to a blank page with empty boxes and re enter all the information as it is the system!! Bit dodgy entering bank information if a site seems flakey so I didn't and tried to complete the online debit mandate form which you can download but this was just lines and blank boxes. A call from ROS confirmed I need to re enter information twice to make it work - but no one has thought to mention that on the ROS website.
    Is it me??!!

I've never had any problems setting up a debit instruction. The second screen is to confirm the details. It was always clearly indicated that was the case. Ros has been updated recently so perhaps there are a few teething problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I do think the page layout / user interface could be much better. Speaking as an ordinary user not a designer, I find it difficult to read and understand some of the pages.

But I haven't had a problem with ROS working the way it's supposed to once I figure it out. It always seems to process returns just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

What browser were you using?

That screen you had problems with only has to be done once so isn't a reoccurring annoyance at least.

They constantly add new stuff and fixes to the site it seems, I was able to do european vat returns recently. Never worked before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭thomasj

freddyuk wrote: »
    Is it me??!!

the reason the second screen is blank is to ensure the details you entered on the first screen is correct. It means if you made a mistake on the first screen, the second screen will pick it up if you dont make the mistake the second. It saves having to rectify the hassles that would come with entering incorrect details when you make a payment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

srsly78 wrote: »
    What browser were you using?

That screen you had problems with only has to be done once so isn't a reoccurring annoyance at least.

They constantly add new stuff and fixes to the site it seems, I was able to do european vat returns recently. Never worked before :)

I am using Firefox on a MAC. The first screen is completed and then press the next button and I was presented with a new blank screen as if I had entered nothing. I have to re enter the information to make it accept the information. I do not know of any other system where you need to complete the same form twice. That is what I was told by ROS and doing it twice seems to work although I still do not have my DD confirmation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chris12

This is the correct way to do it Freddie and your dd confirmation should be in your inbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭MBateson

Most other systems can bang off a test to the few credit card companies or don't release the product until the card has been charged while this system has to collect a lot of money from a lot of different banks for a lot of different customers, I imagine this is why they want double entry. It is a pain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Living and learning here!
    I just think mentioning the methodolgy on the site would save a lot of time? Or is it there and I missed it.

Advertisement