Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible small plantation query

• 07-03-2012 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭

I acquired an half acre of boggy land recently and I intend to plant trees on it, probably sallys as they’ll be the best crop for it.

From what I’ve read, no forestry company would have any interest in planting such a small area. Is there any way that I can avoid doing all the work myself as the land is down the country.

Thanks in advance, C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 temujinhayes

hi, depending on other factors on site you might be better off planting alder, they will be of more practical use and fix nitrogen in the soil. you should consider at least two species on the site.you can get a grant for a minimum size of .1ha, there are contractors who will do it. chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

minimum size of .1ha, there are contractors who will do it. chris

i dont think anyone would do it without charging extra on top of the grant, and im certain any fencing costs would have to be covered by the landowner. to give an example if it was alder being planted the grant would be worth about €6-700 over a 4 year period. the paperwork alone wouldnt be covered by this. OP if you did want to get some very small help you could apply for the grant and get it paid direct to yourself. you'll probably be charged 5-600 initially but you would get a small fee of about €40/year for 15 years (assuming you dont have a herd number). however you'd probably be charged at least 300 in the fourth year for the final paperwork. unfortunately the best way to get it planted IMO is but a few trees and hire a machine and go at it yourself.

by the way what you describe as boggy ground may not be considered eligibile for grant approval. you could ring a forestry company and they might have a look at it if they are passing nearby someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

On reading the above (thanks folks), it doesn't look like its worth my while getting a company in if i can do it myself but that still leaves the problem of having to do the work myself when i'm a long way away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The easiest way is to stick willow cuttings in and see what happens, less than 2 hours work. Do at 1 to 2 meter spacings.

replace any failures in following winters.

You could take the cuttings yourself or they are cheap and widely available to buy.

see bottom of page here:

http://www.celtnet.org/page9.php

Next method would be to root the cuttings yourself in winter year 1 at home and to slit plant the rooted cuttings winter year 2, a bit more work but a more successful method. i think that poplar is better planted using this method too.

a bit of pruning will be needed for the following few years but a lovely days work on a dry bright winters day, bring a picnic.

Advertisement