Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chainsaw gloves

Options
  • 07-03-2012 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

i was looking too buy apair of gloves for chainsaw work yesterday,oregon gloves they where,but was told that they where more for comfort than safety by the shop assitant.they where class 0 and had 16m/s wrote on them,would they work in the same way as the chainsaw trousers in stopping the chain if it came in contact with your hand?if not what class and other detail would they need?also what are agood make of glove and trouser for the job.thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Chainsaw gloves usually have only a thick pad on the top of the left hand only which will somewhat limit the damage to that hand if the chain snaps and flips back round on the hand. Gloves are not "protective" like the trousers or jacket or boots.

In addition to the helmet with metal visor and ear muffs I always use little yellow ear plugs to protect my hearing and vegetable chain oil to protect my lungs. Intend to use aspen fuel too (as soon as i can get it) to further protect my breathing too.

I also have a whistle with me to attract attention just in case, a small first aid bag with a large hanky to act as a tourniquet.

I have a pair of Husqvarna gloves, get my jacket and trousers sent from here as they make their own excellent climbing trousers with the longer leg for the taller person:

http://www.honeybros.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=Clothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

Nobbies wrote: »
    they where class 0 and had 16m/s wrote on them

if you know what speed your saw operates at it would be a help in buying appropriate gear. most commercial saws operate at 24m/s or more as far as i know so they will not be stopped but 16m/s gloves.

a minor tip, i wear tight fitted thin gloves inside my chainsaw gloves to help with the vibrations as i can suffer badly from it on occasion

Advertisement