Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist's in Cork

Options
  • 07-03-2012 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Just wondering would anyone be able to give me any recommendations for any good dentists in cork city?! only moved recently here so looking for a new one:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

skybhoy121 wrote: »
    Just wondering would anyone be able to give me any recommendations for any good dentists in cork city?! only moved recently here so looking for a new one:)
    I've been going to Charlie Haly on Mary St,he is A1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Liam Lynch on Wellington Road. He's a pretty cool guy. Eh fixes teeth and doesn't afraid of anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Don't know where in Cork City you are, but Onslow Gardens in Parklands are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Eamon Kearney on the grand parade, next to the chemist across from Argos. He's really nice. His wife works there too and is usually on the desk, she never forgets a face that wan, I went in there once with my daughter, and a yr later I had to go back for a check up and she remembered my daughters name and everything. She's very friendly.
    Eamon is a howl! Always has a funny story.
    He's gas Craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fallen01angel

Maurice Leahy-he has a practice on Bridge St and another one down in Blackrock,he is brilliant,have being going to him for years and I'm terrified of dentists!!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭skybhoy121

Thanks!! il try them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

charlie haly is an excellent dentist as someone else mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

why dont you try the dentist up in cork university hospital its only half the cost of any other dentist (its a training school for dentists) i always go there and they are spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 42 angeltoes

Has any one got any further feedback on UCC . I've been traumatized by a dentist as a kid, he was drunk and injected me one side of tooth and pulled the other side then screamed blue murder at me whilst i was yelling my head off, naturally !!! So they have to be patient and kind, and cheap. I had a filling not so long ago in a broken tooth, and it has now fallen out again, cost me 200, Im unemployed so I am going to find it hard to come up with that kind of money again !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

i hear John Tait is a cheap dentist if your a girl.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

silly wrote: »
    Eamon Kearney on the grand parade..... He's really nice. His wife works there too and is usually on the desk,

There's a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Cork24 wrote: »
    i hear John Tait is a cheap dentist if your a girl.. :rolleyes:

Tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

angeltoes wrote: »
    Has any one got any further feedback on UCC . I've been traumatized by a dentist as a kid, he was drunk and injected me one side of tooth and pulled the other side then screamed blue murder at me whilst i was yelling my head off, naturally !!! So they have to be patient and kind, and cheap. I had a filling not so long ago in a broken tooth, and it has now fallen out again, cost me 200, Im unemployed so I am going to find it hard to come up with that kind of money again !!!

Had a good bit of work done by the dental school. Basically, you go up the first time (think they are open from 8.30 am) and go to reception. They take your details and you pay €30 and a consultant looks at you and notes what work is to be done. They put you on a list and a few weeks later a student will call you and ask you to come in (they are probably heading on holidays from college now but wouldn't hurt to go up and get registered now so you'll be ready to go when they come back - July I think)

Work wise they are excellent. All the student work is supervised by a senior dentist. More junior dentists would do routine work like cleaning and filling while those in later years would do more high level work like root canals etc. They are all very professional, use the latest materials and methods and in my opinion are better than alot of qualified dentists - because their work is being supervised as part of their training.

You asked is they are kind and patient. I found them to be very patient (they won't rush a procedure) and very kind. I had an especially nice female student dentist :) (having spent time up in the dental school I now wish I had done dentistry at college)

Price wise there is no comparison. Fillings cost me only €10 each and a root canal was a fraction of the price I'd have had to pay a "real" dentist.

Here is a list of their prices: http://www.ucc.ie/en/media/price_list.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

Town Dental on Oliver Plunkett Street really good! I too am terrified of the dentist leaving it 3 years since I was at the dentist until last year! I found them brilliant and made you totally at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

Had a good bit of work done by the dental school. Basically, you go up the first time (think they are open from 8.30 am) and go to reception. They take your details and you pay €30 and a consultant looks at you and notes what work is to be done. They put you on a list and a few weeks later a student will call you and ask you to come in (they are probably heading on holidays from college now but wouldn't hurt to go up and get registered now so you'll be ready to go when they come back - July I think)

Work wise they are excellent. All the student work is supervised by a senior dentist. More junior dentists would do routine work like cleaning and filling while those in later years would do more high level work like root canals etc. They are all very professional, use the latest materials and methods and in my opinion are better than alot of qualified dentists - because their work is being supervised as part of their training.

You asked is they are kind and patient. I found them to be very patient (they won't rush a procedure) and very kind. I had an especially nice female student dentist :) (having spent time up in the dental school I now wish I had done dentistry at college)

Price wise there is no comparison. Fillings cost me only €10 each and a root canal was a fraction of the price I'd have had to pay a "real" dentist.

Here is a list of their prices: http://www.ucc.ie/en/media/price_list.pdf

I had work done in the dentistry school and to be honest I wouldn't recommend it :(

I was seen by a consultant initially and by a very pleasant student thereafter however the work I was having done was on a root canal and I spent many very long afternoons in considerable pain and discomfort having the roots worked on by a student who must have been out of her depth. Looking back on it perhaps I should have asked to speak to the consultant but I didn't; I was going through some very difficult personal things at the time.

I would think though that unless the treatment you require is relatively straightforward ie. fillings etc you would be better off in the hands of a fully trained professional. Just IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

I had a very good experience with these guys

http://www.hungariandentalcare.ie/

I had a lot to get done and had been quoted 30k by an Irish dentist. I was thinking about going to Eastern Europe to get the job done anyway when I saw their ad. They quoted me 14k!

The standard of the work was great and I'm very happy. The slightly strange thing to get used to was that the dentist changed from visit to visit plus they would converse in Hungarian to each other while working on you. They also did more work in a session than I was expecting but that suited me. All in all I was a very happy customer. I was also able to claim back three grand in tax.

Advertisement