Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Development on iPad

• 08-03-2012 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if there any developers out there use the iPad for this purpose?

I'm about to start learning Java and before I take the plunge, I'd like to know if there are any apps that would facilitate this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nope, you can't actually code on it. you can read books on it though and they look great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

nope, you can't actually code on it. you can read books on it though and they look great!

:pac:

I see. Might be wasted on me then.

I'm looking for a tablet that I can use for movies etc and to be able to code on it.

Does one even exist??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm sure some form of android tablet will let you code on it. but i'd have to ask why?

a tablet is a "i'm on a plane I want to read a book/watch a movie" not a development environment. the screen size will absolutely piss you off coding on it for one day and you'll be disappointed.

I'm sure some form of android tablet will let you code on it. but i'd have to ask why?

a tablet is a "i'm on a plane I want to read a book/watch a movie" not a development environment. the screen size will absolutely piss you off coding on it for one day and you'll be disappointed.

I guess you're right.

I was just thinking in a 'if I needed to' kind of way as well.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

You'll need a laptop / PC for development... or if it's iPhone/iPad app development you want to do, you'll need a Mac (I assume a MacBook air would do).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭gnolan

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if there any developers out there use the iPad for this purpose?

I'm about to start learning Java and before I take the plunge, I'd like to know if there are any apps that would facilitate this?

Thanks.

You won't be doing any of your developing on the iPad. Like has been said, you'll need a Mac of some kind to develop on - and yes a Macbook air will do, 13 inch minimum i would say. You can use the iPad for on-device testing. You can also use the simulator that comes with Xcode, the IDE that you'll develop your apps in.

You also say you're starting to learn Java - just so you know, iOS apps are written in objective-c. So if you're looking to develop just iOS apps then you'll want to learn obj-c. Head over to the Mobile Application forum for better info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

JoeA3 wrote: »
    You'll need a laptop / PC for development... or if it's iPhone/iPad app development you want to do, you'll need a Mac (I assume a MacBook air would do).

Depending on your development environment, you may not need an apple. I use Marmalade and Corona and code on windows. I use macincloud.com at $1 to compile and submit to app store.

Both packages are cross-platform.

That's all I need to know. :)

Thanks for the replies guys.

Advertisement