Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernian Cycling Club

Options
  • 08-03-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm back on my bike after many years away, but most of the time I seem to be taking trips down memory lane!

Any boardsies (if that's the collective term) former members of Hibernian Cycling Club who used to meet in DunLaoghaire? My recollection is that Mick Byrne founded the club and I distinctly remember a load of us coming home from a 'hill climb' in Kilmacanogue on the back of his lorry. Ah, if the Health and Safety lads could only have seen!

I unearthed my old jersey, but I think the previous ones which were black and gold (or yellow?) were even nicer.

Nice to be back on the bike!

Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭LCRC_BAX

Slick jersey, a lot nicer than some modern club gear!

Fair play to you for getting back on the bike, my Dad did the same 5 year's ago after a 15 year hiatus and he's flying now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Was a member of Hibernia for about 4/5 years. 1980 to about 85. Quit. Went abroad came back in 1995 and took up cycling again in 2006. With Sorrento since then along with Stephen Healy (Hibernia also) and a couple of others from Hibernia.
    Met Eoin Breslin at the Sorrento Mick Byrne Memorial two years ago.
    Still have my Silver medal from an 80's Hill Climb C'ship up Sugar Loaf..............the day Healy was away racing somewhere, thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Thanks lads,

The earlier jerseys were much nicer, great to get a photo of one if someone has one.

Stephen was strong, I remember cycling with his younger brother Dermot who had what would now be a cool woolen Ford jersey with the pockets on the chest. I think there may have been some connection to Shay Elliott? Stephen helped pick my first bike!

Looking back it's only now I realise that all the 'old lads' that led the spins all around Wicklow were only about 18-20 years old (probably Planet X included!)

Planet X do you remember the South African coach who came in to us and introduced cicruit training and that. Doug something I think, but perhaps you were already gone?

I have a medal somewhere too, prize underage possession! I think it was from a summer league. At one of the races there was some poor marshalling and two of us ended up barrelling down the Devils Elbow (? out of Ashford) and having to climb all the way back up. Bronze wasn't too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fanjo

I was there for about 4-5 years. I remember my 1st ride out of Dun Laoghaire. I lost the group heading towards Sallynoggin. Headed home. Steep climb there. Didn't know what I was letting myself into. Better the next week and kept improving.
    There was a time trial out on the open road towards Kilmacud. My bike just got stolen and I was left with my brothers heavy bike. I remember I was kept from turning at the half way point for ages because of cars. Peeved me off as I came in 4th. Should have won it!
    My old hibernian top was thrown away. Shame I always liked to use it.

Could that have been .....Kilmacanogue :)

• Advertisement

Planet X wrote: »
    Could that have been .....Kilmacanogue :)

Yeah, you're right. A lot of tides to roundwood. I forgot the name of the steep hill after Bray towards Roundwood, where some of the guys would push it! Killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fanjo wrote: »
    Yeah, you're right. A lot of tides to roundwood. I forgot the name of the steep hill after Bray towards Roundwood, where some of the guys would push it! Killer!
    Red Lane?

Up the Sugarloaf......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Yeah that's red lane up the side of the Glenview Hotel coning out with the Sugarloaf on the right hand side at the top.

Is there a Dun Laoghaire based club for people that want a weekend spin and a coffee and chat, as obviously Hibernia is long gone judging by this thread

Red lane! No problem riding up. Just when some of the guys pushing up hard, split the group. The Colberts brothers were always pushing up there. The club folded, mainly because a lot of the members were 18-20 years old and we made our own way in the world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement