Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland, water pump problem.

Options
  • 08-03-2012 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hi i have a question for ppl living on Charlesland, especially the Crescent apts.
    Does anyone else have problem with water pump running every 20sec for hour or two after You use the flush? I just had it fixed, it wasnt filling fast enough so wp was working for hour just to fill up the tank, but even after the repair the pump is working like crazy. The plumber said that there can be a small leak and that can be the possible reason for wp to work all the time, it tries to keep the water at proper level even that the difference is small. The problem is that just drives me crazy. During the day it isnt a big bother but at night....
    Any ideas how to fix it will be appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Two things you can do. 1. It is a drip or a leak. So check all shower taps and turn tightly off. 2. Have a pump isolator switch fitted. Switch off at night. Irish solution to Irish problem as you will continue to waste water.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Two things you can do. 1. It is a drip or a leak. So check all shower taps and turn tightly off. 2. Have a pump isolator switch fitted. Switch off at night. Irish solution to Irish problem as you will continue to waste water.
    1) All checked, not a single drop of water. Probably its a leak from the pipe.
    2) So it looks that they thought about it when they build it, its already there.
    Ill have to do that, i just hope that i wont forget to turn it on.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

something somewhere is causing your pump to action.

when it senses waterflow it kicks in and usually caused by the water tank or toilets.

IE the toilet flush may be open a small amount, causing water from the tank to drain and the pump kicks in to top it up when the ball cock in the tank drops a millimeter or two.

you also need to be careful with the pump isolater switch (its in your hotpress), if you have it on and water is draining it could cause an airlock in the pump itself which is a total mare to get rid of!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

yoshiktk wrote: »
    1) All checked, not a single drop of water. Probably its a leak from the pipe.
    2) So it looks that they thought about it when they build it, its already there.
    Ill have to do that, i just hope that i wont forget to turn it on.
    Cheers

Could you rewire it through the likes of an immersion timer so it automatically switches on and off? Given that its filling the cold water tank, it can take quite a few toilet flushes without fear of an airlock...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

not quite, when the ball cock in the tank drops it will be looking for more water not when the tank is empty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Hi i have a question for ppl living on Charlesland, especially the Crescent apts.
    Does anyone else have problem with water pump running every 20sec for hour or two after You use the flush? I just had it fixed, it wasnt filling fast enough so wp was working for hour just to fill up the tank, but even after the repair the pump is working like crazy. The plumber said that there can be a small leak and that can be the possible reason for wp to work all the time, it tries to keep the water at proper level even that the difference is small. The problem is that just drives me crazy. During the day it isnt a big bother but at night....
    Any ideas how to fix it will be appreciated.
    Cheers
    That sounds like a problem I fixed for a customer of mine on the other side of Greystones.... It was doing it for nearly 10 years:eek:.

Depends what pump it is but it is probably the built-in non-return valves in the pump not sealing properly. Easy enough fix when you have the right parts and know how ;).
    Post the make and model or a picture so that I can have a look!

Advertisement