Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby advice - Cork - CUMH

Options
  • 08-03-2012 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, tried to post this here earlier unreg but didnt seem to be approved.. I just discovered this morning that I am pregnant. I am pretty shocked as me and my partner hadnt planned on having children yet. We are both in our early 20's and have been together a few years and living together for over a year now.
    He's on minimum wage job and I just lost my job last week. We know once the baby arrives we'll manage fine. All we're worried about is the hospital costs.

I have no idea how much it costs to have scans, overnight stays, doctor visits etc. Do I have to have a medical card to get assistance with this? Im just really worried about the cost of the next 9 months and worried that I wont be able to afford to go to scans.

I know nothing about any of this as this will be my first child. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

HI, Congrats:)

what you need to do is go to your GP to confirm the pregnancy. Either s/he will write a letter to hospital, or they will give you a number to ring to arrange an appointment. First appointment is usually between wk 12-16.
    If you book as a public patient all your hospital visits are free and 6 gp visits are free. This is called combined care. As a public patient you never pay the hospital.

(If you opt to go private then you pay approx 3000-4000 euro plus vhi.)From what you said Im guessing you'll go public it s a great service. I had my first private and the second public. I was delighted with public service. CUMH is a great hospital.

Best of luck its a bit tough til it sinks in I know but I'm sure you ll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Exactly as lisha says.
    I went to my gp at 5 weeks to confirm pregnancy. She sent letter to CUMH. I told her I would like to do the combined care. She gave me a leaflet about this. It basically means that you kinda go every second visit to your gp instead of the hospital. These visits are free.
    I got a letter from CUMH a week later confirming my first 3 appointments. The scan at 14 weeks, and met with midwife who went through dates etc. those 2 appointments were on the same date. My 3rd visit was at 21 weeks, I met with consultant who did a small scan too. She suggested I go to midwife clinic in future, which means less queuing time again.told me to go back at 32 weeks, so I must go to my gp at 24 weeks and back into CUMH at 32 weeks to meet a midwife who will go through birthing plan.
    All of this is free!

Best of luck with your pregnancy!

Advertisement