Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog humping our guests

• 08-03-2012 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Just as the title,everytime our friends come over with their dog our fella goes crazy humping everyone.
    When were here in the house he rarely tries it or when other friends come over he is generally very good.
    I reckon he is nervous of the dog which is half his size.
    If I put him on the long lead outside he is the exact same when he is brought back in.
    He is 3yrs old now,not neutered yet but might be very soon if we don't breed him.
    Any suggestions what to do

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

My advice would be to neuter him...studding him out can make humping worse ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Em; everyone; or " just" the dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

dont care what others say, humping is not sexual, you need to tell him "No" if he does not listen instruct the guests to ignore him, you can see this in dogs both male and female where they will jump up on guests but would never try it with their owners. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

dont care what others say, humping is not sexual, you need to tell him "No" if he does not listen instruct the guests to ignore him, you can see this in dogs both male and female where they will jump up on guests but would never try it with their owners. Good luck.

mine trys it on with me and i am the owner so whats the story there ?bitch and mainly when i am on the phone :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Humping is hard-wired into dogs instincts, at the end of the day reproduction guarantees the survival of every species so I've no doubt that it is discovered due to sexual urges. However once the dog discovers that it boosts serotonin levels in the brain (happy juice) they are going to keep doing it. In situations where the dog get's very excited, anxious, annoyed etc. a serotonin boost can ease their frustrations. They might as well take it out on the cause of this mental build up.

Entire dogs also have the added sexual element but might have the added frustrations that come with being entire.

My spayed bitch gets very excited at the prospect of going to bed for the night so she humps her bed before curling up in it - it seems to kill any left over energy she hasn't burned off during the day and then she's calm and 'happy out' for the night.

*Disclaimer - just my own personal theory.

<ETA> Just to add my reasoning behind this - horses in situations of stress develop habits like crib-biting, wind-sucking or weaving which can lead to them becoming dangerously obsessive over it. It's the repetitive action that boosts serotonin and has a calming effect. Just to clarify I don't think dogs humping should lead people to be concerned to the same degree unless it becomes obsessive. It's a perfectly natural part of canine behaviour and is often associated with play with other dogs (high excitement levels and desire for interaction with the other dog). If it's excessive or obsessive it becomes a problem. If it's just undesirable in certain situations it's a matter of behaviour modification.

Don't have a problem with it myself between dogs unless the 'recipient' isn't happy with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement